What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Currently listening to Senlin Ascends by Bancroft (courtesy of Overdrive through my library). This book is really something else! The best way to describe it is to quote from another reviewer, Adam Werthead, who said, "It's a steampunk romance with airships and sky-pirates. It's a character-focused slice of the New Weird. It's a Biblical allegory (...maybe?). It's a science fiction novel set inside a Big Dumb Object created by peoples unknown for scientific purposes (...perhaps?). It's a black comedy of manners, a dashing adventure, and a devastating deconstruction of people, places and tropes. It's what you'd get if China Mieville and Christopher Priest collaborated on a novel and both brought their A-game, and it was then adapted for film by Studio Ghibli. "

This book started out really slow, but something happened along the way to have me care about and enthralled by the adventures of Thomas Senlin (who startef out as one of the more boring protagonists, but changes throughout the story)

Edited by Ammanas

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently discovered Barbara Hambly's James Asher series (Victorian-era former British spy gets tangled up in the affairs of vampires) and have been steadily plowing through them. I'm about 60% done with the 4th book and very much enjoying the series. :)

Finished Shadowheart by Tad Williams. I must admit that this series has a few problems, most notable in regards to pacing, editing (it could use some trimming) and character behavior, but he did a amazing job with the ending! I had actually heard a few complaints about it (the ending) being too long etc but I thought the author ended it with just the right mixture of hope, happiness, loss and sorrow. I thought Shadowheart was, by far, the best of the four books. Now off to read more Clark Ashton Smith...a great author, but more greatly appreciated in smaller doses.

Edited by Ammanas

I just finished the first book in "The great book of Amber" 
.... I found the writing a bit lacking so will think if i will continue or not.

(if anyone has finished the series, please let me know if the writing improves)

Taking a break from the above, I started 'Sufficiently Advanced Magic" Im enjoying it quite a bit. 

10 hours ago, physicskid said:

Reading Sins of Empire by Brian McClellan. even better than the original powder mage trilogy. Mad Ben Styke is the scariest protagonist I've seen in a while.

I'm currently reading the Mad Lancers novella and have yet to read the latest, Wrath of Empire.  As much as I like Tamas, I think Ben Styke is now McClellan's best POV character.

I just finished Wrath of Empire over the weekend, and Ben just keeps getting better. I think Wrath isn’t as strong of a novel as Sins, but it’s still very good. I really wish there had been a character index, cause it’s been quite a while since I read Sins and even longer since the original trilogy. 

I’ve read a ton since my last post, but I most recently read Assassin’s blade and am starting on Throne of Glass, both by Maas. I’m reading them for a friend, and while they’re pretty good they’re not great yet. A bit like the early rangers apprentice books or Alex Rider. 

Finished Words of Radiance over the weekend. 

Spoiler

There were times I wanted it to finish faster because of 90% of the book being stuck on the storming Shattered Plains. My least favorite new character was Lift. She was pretty annoying and I'm going to regret any future books on Roshar when she appears. I was so glad when Adolin stabbed that snake Sadeas but was surprised to see him go in the second book! It sure was chilling reading the one passage with Nightblood. Makes me wonder how Nale got him and why he's not with Vasher. I felt so scared when reading the flashbacks just because family abuse like that is hard for me to read because of having some emotional/mental abuse I've experienced.

Anyway onto a Cosmere break with Firefight.

Edited by Draginon
Spoiler reasons

Reading House of Blades. I love another series by the same author, although I'm not loving this one as much. I'm only a bit through the book though, so who knows! He does a similar thing to the Cosmere where each series is in the same universe. It's pretty cool.

7 hours ago, Draginon said:

My least favorite new character was Lift. She was pretty annoying and I'm going to regret any future books on Roshar when she appears

In that case, I've got some bad news for you about both Oathbringer and the Roshar Novella Edgedancer...

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

In that case, I've got some bad news for you about both Oathbringer and the Roshar Novella Edgedancer...

I know already, that's why I'm going to regret Edgedancer and parts of Oathbringer onwards. I don't know how anyone could find a teen who insists she's 10 for superstitious reasons, go on about being hungry (understandable considering her circumstances but annoying) and all but harass her poor spren, in anyway appealing to read? Brandon I guess.

The only thing I really liked about her interlude was Nale going after her, even though he's pretty much a 'villain' at this point. Shows how much I preferred him over her, and I was spooked by his appearance in that one earlier interlude where he killed that old man.

I started City of Blades, book 2 of Robert Jackson Bennett's Divine Cities trilogy.  I don't think I've seen this comparison but these are like Sanderson books but with F bombs.  They're the closest thing I've seen to Sanderson in terms of plotting and functional world building.

I think she has written some Fitz short stories as well. I read one in the Book of Swords anthology and thought it was pretty good.

@Who Sharded? I am a huge fan of the first two books of the Divine Citys trilogy, but was massively dissapointed by the third one. My opinion seems to be very much the minority so dont let me deter you...you will probably like it as well!

Edited by Ammanas

6 minutes ago, NamelessThirteenth said:

Awaiting Wrath of Empire....meanwhile: Kings of the Wyld

"WHEN WE SEEK TO RULE ONLY OURSELVES, WE ARE EACH OF US KINGS."

Kings of the Wyld was crazy entertaining! I hope you have a good time with it! 

I have started 'The wayward bard' and 'Maelstrom' 

Both are LitRPG, I'm not yet sold on Maelstrom, I'm a few chapters in and its interesting but nyeeeh. 

I'm not far enough into Bard yet to make judgement but it is also interesting to see how the character will adjust to the story.