What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

@Ammanas I don't think the redacted stuff is terribly spoiler-y for anyone who's read The Way of Kings. I mean, it's entirely possible that the redacted bits will become more significant later in the Cosmere, but for now, I--as someone who isn't privy to all Brandon's long-term plans for the Cosmere--only see elements of Roshar's magic system.

Oh look, it's my 3000th post!

Edited by Sunchicken

Rereading the first three Garrett PI books by Glen Cook. I had forgotten that the first two books were some of the weaker books he has written; I think he was getting a feel for the world, was still a inexperienced writer, and they could of used a better editor. I am current on the third, Cold Copper Tears, and its really good. From what I remember he will continue to write quality Garrett PI books except for the 8th one Petty Pewter Gods (which was a setback). Recommend this series for Dresden Fans.

10 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

finished The Blood Mirror.  taking a bit of a break for now - if I do too much of one thing for too long, I tend to burn myself out on it for a while, and I don't want to do that before Oathbringer is out.

What did you think about it? It was my least favorite. 

Just finished reading Sherlock Holmes and the Servants of Hell. Overall it was pretty good. I've not watched any Hellraiser film but I think Kane captured the horror pretty well, as well as can be told from Watson being the narrator. The story itself takes place after The Final Problem during the hiatus years and explores how it's like for a man to go through a near death experience and walk out alive when he shouldn't have survived. It had a lot of connections to the Hellraiser franchise and gives insight into why the Cenobites want to come to our world. It even ends with an epilogue recapping part of the first film! Oh and one thing I really loved was that the language wasn't changed into American English and kept the British spelling of words. I hate when British books get their spelling changed here.

With my Halloween read done I'm back to my Sanderson-a-thon with a reread of Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians.

Edited by Draginon

I might be the only sharder who feels this way, but I'm actually debating if I want to start reading Oathbringer on November 14 or not. I really want to read it, but I worry that when I finish it I know its going to be three years until the next one. I'm afraid to start it because I know its only a matter of time until its finished.

I'm thinking about keeping it on my shelf and just saving it for if I am going through a rough spell...it will be nice to keep it and know I have something to look forward to one day.

10 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

I’m trying to remember if I’ve ever anticipated a book more than Oathbringer and I can’t think of one right now. Crazy considering it’s just the 3rd book in a 10 book series.

Imagine how bad it'll be once the break happens :P

4 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Oh man.. My only hope is we have a somewhat satisfying ending with the first 5. Of course I am also eagerly awaiting MB E3. SA is going to be a haul though. 

Well you better hope he doesn't do an ending where everyone is in danger 'and now you've got to wait 10 years while I do the next trilogy of Mistborn, finish up Elantris, Rithmatist 2, Nightblood and something for Delacorte'... you'd better start planning on something to read during the Gap since it'll be here before you know it.

1 hour ago, Draginon said:

Well you better hope he doesn't do an ending where everyone is in danger 'and now you've got to wait 10 years while I do the next trilogy of Mistborn, finish up Elantris, Rithmatist 2, Nightblood and something for Delacorte'... you'd better start planning on something to read during the Gap since it'll be here before you know it.

I suspect a "sort of resolution" 

Spoiler

Essentially, I expect the Knight Radiants to be reestablished and the Threat to be fended off temporarily, giving them a couple decades to prepare for the "This Is For Serial the Final and True Desolation, Guys!"

He also might pull a Martin and decide he needs to write about what went on during the time skip and get stuck for 6 years :ph34r:

6 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

He also might pull a Martin and decide he needs to write about what went on during the time skip and get stuck for 6 years :ph34r:

But isn't that what the flashbacks are for? Granted one will be for a Herald but we have four other characters, one who's barely a teenager, to explore the Gap.

On 31/10/2017 at 3:58 AM, Ammanas said:

I might be the only sharder who feels this way, but I'm actually debating if I want to start reading Oathbringer on November 14 or not. I really want to read it, but I worry that when I finish it I know its going to be three years until the next one. I'm afraid to start it because I know its only a matter of time until its finished.

I'm thinking about keeping it on my shelf and just saving it for if I am going through a rough spell...it will be nice to keep it and know I have something to look forward to one day.

I feel exactly the same way! If I do give in and start reading it on the 16th November (UK release date), then I will literally stretch it out for as long as I can, as I did with Words of Radiance. I would read only a tiny bit a day, but the feeling of having something to look forward to each day made that restraint worth it. It shouldn't be too difficult as I really only get a chance to read on the weekends. But I hope I can exercise as much self control this time round!

11 minutes ago, Scyora said:

After finally finishing Elantris (after a sagging start... I loved it!) and Origin (could've been better, wasn't the Langdon I knew) I'm back to Scadrial.
Started Shadows of Self yesterday.

SoS was my favorite of the 2nd era Mistborn assuming I'm remembering the scene in the right place. Could also be BoM. 

Spoiler

The graveyard scene was highly enjoyable for me. 

I'm now onto Warbreaker.

I liked Alcatraz 2 with the silliness of the apologizing, Australia (she's a sweetheart <3) waking up as Grandpa!, the jokes at BS were appreciated but I laughed out loud at the Garth Nix for some reason since I know nothing about his books and I love reading the author bio for these books.

16 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

it's complete I'm pretty sure.

I think the ending is fitting and complete, but Glen Cook is planning on a epilogue to the series called A Pittiless Rain. It's supposed to be the next thing he writes after Port of Shadows (a prequel Black Company book set during the original trilogy and supposedly coming out next year)