What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

12 minutes ago, Briar King said:

That's probably going to drive you insane.

I'm also willing to bet almost anything that whatever you read next after Malazan is going to leave a bitter taste in your mouth since Erikson is such a master.

Have you ever read Gene Wolfe?

I'll probably end up doing what I did with Blood Mirror and grab the digital version to sate me while I wait for the book to finally arrive. Amazon is amazing as long as whatever you order qualifies for Prime shipping. Otherwise, in my area at least, I can count off the days that a package doesn't move from one city to the next each day like it should be doing.

I had been having the same thought just a few hours ago about what I should read after this. "Who can I read that isn't going to seem like going from LOTR to Sword of Shannara?"  Still quite a ways out though. If I keep my current pace (barring the rough time I had with HoC) I should have time to get a title or 2 in before I start my re-read of Stormlight in early October. 

I've never read Gene Wolfe before, no. Do you have a suggestion from his works? 

Who wants to start an over/under on Winds of Winter with me? Starting tomorrow, at one chapter a day, do you think someone could read Wheel of Time before Winds of Winter is released? At a rough estimate, I believe it works out to about 14 months. I'm tempted to try it out. We could alternately swap Winds of Winter with Kingkiller Chronicles Day 3 if one seems like a better chance than the other, lol. 

Oh yeah I can name a few of his. He can make Erikson seem like an amateur with words. I love this old man. He writes in all genres. His best known work is theBook of the New Sun. Set in the dying days of our sun when it a red giant Sci-fi but with fantasy aspects or Latro in the Mist set in Anicent Greece about a soldier who suffered a head wound and can no longer have long term memory so writes his life each day in journal that reads on waking up. His wound lets him tap into mystical realm. Or The Wizard Knight which is pretty much exactly what the title says and yet not..

All EXTREMELY good choices. He is very old now and still active. I will literally cry when he leaves this world.

Edited by Briar King

I started reading Throne of Glass. I was loving it- and then  (spoiler warning)

Spoiler

the third book was slow,  she gets really mad at Chaol (the most awesome guy she could ever have), tries to kill him, tells him that he will always be her enemy because its apparently his fault that her best friend died, goes around ignoring him and hating him, he is really sad and gets depressed (understandably), she leaves and before she goes she's like "I'll always pick you" and then she goes on to become a completely different person (different name even), casts away Chaol  the best person in the whole series, aside for this perfect dude called Rowan! I was so enraged that I stopped, slammed the book down, jumped up and down to let out steam, and groaned for the rest of the day. Yes, I am aware that I probably overreacted a bit but really! That's what happens when you get too attached to a character :( 

I will eventually read the rest of the series - but not right now. Still mad at the author for abusing my favourite character. I'm reading Shattered Realms now :) 

Edited by Sami

@AngelEy3@Briar King Have any of you read the Instrumentalities of the Night series by Glen Cook. I think it is excellent and very Malazan-ish. The only caveat I would say is that there probably will not be a fifth book due to poor sales; which is a shame bc this series is a real gem. It doesn't end on a cliffhanger, but there is so much more that he could do in that world. Anyways I love this series!

Edited by Ammanas

7 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Who wants to start an over/under on Winds of Winter with me? Starting tomorrow, at one chapter a day, do you think someone could read Wheel of Time before Winds of Winter is released? At a rough estimate, I believe it works out to about 14 months. I'm tempted to try it out. We could alternately swap Winds of Winter with Kingkiller Chronicles Day 3 if one seems like a better chance than the other, lol. 

It's possible you could get through every book in the Library of Congress before either of those are released.

2 hours ago, Ammanas said:

@AngelEy3@Briar King Have any of you read the Instrumentalities of the Night series by Glen Cook. I think it is excellent and very Malazan-ish. The only caveat I would say is that there probably will not be a fifth book due to poor sales; which is a shame bc this series is a real gem. It doesn't end on a cliffhanger, but there is so much more that he could do in that world. Anyways I love this series!

Yeah I'm looking at it on my shelf now. Had for a few years but never started it. There will be another though so have no fear, people were talking about it a few weeks ago on Malazan boards.

4 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Yeah I'm looking at it on my shelf now. Had for a few years but never started it. There will be another though so have no fear, people were talking about it a few weeks ago on Malazan boards.

Are you sure? I think you may be confusing it with the new Black Company book, Port of Shadows, that is supposed to come out next year. Please correct if I am wrong and provide a link. If what you say is true then you have made my entire year!

3 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Are you sure? I think you may be confusing it with the new Black Company book, Port of Shadows, that is supposed to come out next year. Please correct if I am wrong and provide a link. If what you say is true then you have made my entire year!

it's the Black Company. I didn't know that he had 2 Malazan like series so I thought that's what you meant.

26 minutes ago, Briar King said:

it's the Black Company. I didn't know that he had 2 Malazan like series so I thought that's what you meant.

Instrumentalities of the Night begins with Tyranny of the Night and is my personal favorite Glen Cook series. I think you would like it.

Edited by Ammanas

@AngelEy3 How to describe Malazan, huh? That's a tough one... mainly because you can't say what it is about without spoiling the series! But I'll try. 

Malazan is about a series of in-world historically significant events from the point of view of the people living through them as they are going on. These events are significant on a worldwide scale, and their impact on the shaping of societies are explored as well as the role of history in shaping events. 

I'm not flowery esp when on my phone.

its about clashing empires spanning different worlds on The frontline with the grunts and officers and steadily powering up mages, and everyday Average Joes , meddling Gods(or think they are) and their chosen mortals, dragons and demons, all while spanning 100's of thousands of years.

@Ammanas, @Briar King, @Orlion On a Cob

Thanks for the descriptions, you guys. I'll morph the 3 of them into something and try it on my brother this weekend. 

Hope everyone had a good Holiday today, to whomever it may concern. 

This night. This night I shall not fail in finishing up Bonehunters. 

Spoiler

The fleet just arrived at Malaz City 

1 minute ago, AngelEy3 said:

@Ammanas, @Briar King, @Orlion On a Cob

Thanks for the descriptions, you guys. I'll morph the 3 of them into something and try it on my brother this weekend. 

Hope everyone had a good Holiday today, to whomever it may concern. 

This night. This night I shall not fail in finishing up Bonehunters. 

Hide contents

The fleet just arrived at Malaz City 

Its about to start getting crazy!

Hood's balls... (and yes, he does have balls) that was pretty good. I'm going to have to go over the last couple chapters again I think to try to catch everything that was happening. I have this poor habit of reading way too fast as the pages thin out on any book, mainly I think because of all the excitement that tends to build naturally towards most endings. 

Bit the bullet and got the digital version of Reaper's Gale. My copy of the book has been held hostage by the postal service, with no ransom note, somewhere in PA. Fun part about that? It started in NM, and should have been heading to MN. 

Edit: For those unfamiliar with US geography and state codes... My package has gone 1/4 of the way across a continent in the wrong direction. 

Edited by AngelEy3

40 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

Bit the bullet and got the digital version of Reaper's Gale. My copy of the book has been held hostage by the postal service, with no ransom note, somewhere in PA. Fun part about that? It started in NM, and should have been heading to MN. 

Edit: For those unfamiliar with US geography and state codes... My package has gone 1/4 of the way across a continent in the wrong direction. 

Are you comfortable with digital versions? I'm not, but I imagine that would change if I owned a Kindle Paperwhite or any e-reader thats sole purpose is reading books. Anyways Reapers Gale finally starts to pull the storyline threads together. Have fun!

Edited by Ammanas

34 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Are you comfortable with digital versions? I'm not, but I imagine that would change if I owned a Kindle Paperwhite or any e-reader thats sole purpose is reading books. Anyways Reapers Gale finally starts to pull the storyline threads together. Have fun!

Not particularly, no. I'd rather have a physical copy most of the time. I do prefer it in some scenarios though. I'm also trying to build a personal library in the spare bedroom, so buying digital doesn't end up adding to the cause. In this case, it was worth $10 to me to keep moving forward with Malazan instead of waiting. I also need something to do at work for my 5 hours of down time every night. 

Hardcover > Paperback > Digital > Mass Market Paperback.

I really hate holding those tiny books open, and trying to read the tiny print. I go through too much volume to stress my eyes any further than I already am. It's also nice to be able to highlight a new word and get an instant definition if I'm not sure. 

On 7/7/2017 at 7:17 PM, Pestis the Spider said:

God, I finally got around to reading Dresden Files. First 3 books were kinda meh, but now I am 8 books in and I am positively addicted to this series. It's absolutely awesome. 

I wish more people were aware of this when they read the series.  I've seen too many people stop after the 1st or 2nd book.