What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

40 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

I'm having issues with book 4, myself...made it to act 4 last night and had to take a break. It just kind of feels like this one is dragging a bit more than the previous 3. MoI was my favorite to this point. 

Malazan burnout happens to even the most ardent of fans. I recommend taking a break, read something light, and cleanse your palate. May I recommend Kings of the Wyld by Eames?

41 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Malazan burnout happens to even the most ardent of fans. I recommend taking a break, read something light, and cleanse your palate. May I recommend Kings of the Wyld by Eames?

Kings of the Wyld looks pretty fun. Just snagged it for $10 with Amazon Prime, and it'll be here Wednesday morning. 

Edit: Have I ever mentioned how much I love Prime? 

Edited by AngelEy3

2 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

Kings of the Wyld looks pretty fun. Just snagged it for $10 with Amazon Prime, and it'll be here Wednesday morning. 

Edit: Have I ever mentioned how much I love Prime? 

Nice! Looking forward to your take on it.

Lurking this thread for new books.  I've finished Hard to Be a God by Arkady Strugatsky which was excellent, Vicious by Schwab which was good but not fantastic (a bit Reckoners-ish), The Wolf Road by Lewis which was average. The two best books I've read recently were the Terra Ignota books by Ada Palmer and I'm in post book depression. 

Edited by swablueme

2 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Don't leave it to long. So much could slip away. Plus just note Ando won't say which they are when you get to bk 5 you ll be introduced to 2 many fans favorite characters of the series.

My plan is to finish up #4 (only 1 act left) and then I'll move back to book 5 after a single book break. I don't want to forget stuff either, seems like it would be easy to do. 

17 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I think my first time through I managed to get through the first 6 books, but 7-10 took 2-3 times longer to read than all the first 6.  it is one of the main reasons I haven't attempted a reread

5 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

I think my first time through I managed to get through the first 6 books, but 7-10 took 2-3 times longer to read than all the first 6.  it is one of the main reasons I haven't attempted a reread

He definitely gets more long winded after book 6...I didn't mind it, but I have heard that it is less enjoyable from others.

19 minutes ago, Briar King said:

I didn't have that problem but I read as they released so I devoured them shortly after getting in excitement. We ll see if I have any trouble this time but I'm going to read ICE as well.

yea, it is definitely different to go through them in a marathon session.  especially if, like me, you don't like reading multiple books or series at once.  had to push myself through the last 2 books

22 hours ago, swablueme said:

Lurking this thread for new books.  I've finished Hard to Be a God by Arkady Strugatsky which was excellent, Vicious by Schwab which was good but not fantastic (a bit Reckoners-ish), The Wolf Road by Lewis which was average. The two best books I've read recently were the Terra Ignota books by Ada Palmer and I'm in post book depression. 

May I recommend some of Schwab's other books? I found A Darker Shade of Magic and the rest of that trilogy pretty storming fantastic, and This Savage Song--one of my top 10 favorite books from 2016--has its sequel/conclusion coming out in about a week.

I started listening to A Theft of Swords last night. I'd read it years ago, but couldn't get my hands on the sequel so I kind of forgot about it. My library finally has all the books now, so I'm re-listening to the first book since I barely remember any of it. Then I'll continue on to book 2. 

I'm also planning on trying to read Malazaan again. I'll have to finish up Deadhouse Gates, then I'll go ahead and read book 3. 

@Left @Briar King @Ammanas

Woo! Go Sharder's Malazan fan club! 

It really is quite good. Still having some issues with the end of bk 4, and decided to cleanse my palette on trying to catch them all for a few days while I wait for whatever book I just ordered. Something Kings of the Wyld I think? I don't feel like scrolling up or checking my Amazon orders right now. That should give time for a little catch up for @Briar King as well. 

2 hours ago, Left said:

I started listening to A Theft of Swords last night. I'd read it years ago, but couldn't get my hands on the sequel so I kind of forgot about it. My library finally has all the books now, so I'm re-listening to the first book since I barely remember any of it. Then I'll continue on to book 2. 

I liked this series a lot. I have been meaning to read his other books. I listened several of his shorts (free on audible) and they were all good too. 

Finished the third Legend of the Galactic Heroes book: Endurance; another great addition to the series. The next one will come out on the 20th of this month so just a little wait for my next fix. Just read the first chapter of Dance of Cloaks by Dalgish. It seems like a generic fantasy world about assassins, theives, kings and nobility, but is a lot of fun so far; looking forward to where it will go.

I'm about half way through The Eternity Artifact, one of the few Modesitt sci-fi's I haven't read yet. I'm about a quarter through Theft of Swords, it's not as good as I remember. Ulrich is insanely annoying, and the main characters don't seem very mature. If I remember correctly, further in it gets better, so I'll keep listening. 

I'm currently reading Wrath of the Storm by Jennifer A. Nielsen, the last book of the Mark of the Thief trilogy. It's definitely no Sanderson book, but it's really, really good. It's set in Rome, about 300-ish years after Julius Caesar, and it involves lots of overpowered magic, magical creatures, and gods. It's really cool.

5/6 of the way through the Codex Alera books, just waiting for the last one to be available fromt he library.  they're not bad, not great, and I don't really feel any need to reread them later, but no real complaints either.

while I am waiting on that, I picked up the first Temeraire book and am making my way through that.  liking it so far.

34 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

5/6 of the way through the Codex Alera books, just waiting for the last one to be available fromt he library.  they're not bad, not great, and I don't really feel any need to reread them later, but no real complaints either.

while I am waiting on that, I picked up the first Temeraire book and am making my way through that.  liking it so far.

The first book of Temeraire, probably the first two books, are the best parts of the series. The ending is pretty good too. You should be aware that the middle drags pretty badly though. Glad you enjoy it! 

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I love Alera so much. Such a neat meld of Rome and Pokémon that Butcher took on as a challenge. One of my favorite series.

I wasn't a fan of Temeraire at all. Bk 2 of the 3 I read was the best and still think it was mostly garbage but while I disliked it enough to stop at 3 other people definitely love the set.