What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

2 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Hide contents

This shattered Shadow Realm stuff is getting pretty confusing. As is the time line of the Emperor and Dancer ascending. I'm sure I'll get more answers there as I rafo. Not looking for any from anyone, just commenting on my struggles. 

You poor, summer child. 

Some information... if you dare! 

Spoiler

The timeline is always whack. There is a general idea of where events take place, but that's about it. Specifics such as exactly when, who did what, the gender of characters....weeelllll.....

Spoiler

Steve Erikson decided to go post-modern on what happens... which means it depends on who you ask, what they know and how they interpret the information they have. It does not get too unwieldy, but it also means that certain things are somewhat vague. 

3 hours ago, Briar King said:

What have you noticed about Karsa yet?

Spoiler

So far I've made it back to the dessert, but sometime before that I realized that he was the one with Sha'ik. Blood oil is made from Otataral (presumably at this point) which explains why magic doesn't work very much at all on Karsa. This just now got me remembering about Rallack, I think it was, smearing the dust all over his body in Gardens of the Moon. I think he's still asleep just inside the doorway of the Finnest house in Dharujhistan. 

@Orlion On a Cob

That definitely helps, knowing that it won't always be set in stone when things are happening in relation to others. 

59 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Yes he is

Hide contents

Toblakia in DHG. You should have already picked up things Heboric was saying to him in bk2 by now

That's hard to remember... 

Spoiler

Bits and pieces about carrying souls with him, and such. It's getting interesting right now. Cutter and Apsalar just defended the Throne of Shadow from the Edur, and the unidentified Traveller now holds Vengeance in his hands. 

36 minutes ago, The Flash said:

And I finished name of the wind. Wow. That was a very good book. If only I had the rest of them...

There's only one more main entry as of right now. There's a novella, and a short story featuring Bast... But no Day 3... Going on 7 years iirc. 

Not a bad run. Pretty sure that was less than 48 hrs. 

Just now, AngelEy3 said:

There's only one more main entry as of right now. There's a novella, and a short story featuring Bast... But no Day 3... Going on 7 years iirc. 

Not a bad run. Pretty sure that was less than 48 hrs. 

What, me? 48 hours to read that? HA this is the teen who has read the Way of Kings in 18 hours. That book was done in 7ish hours. 

Wow how do you read that in 7 hours?! If I recal it's almost as long as Way of Kings. Props to your reading speed! 

Wise Mans Fear is worth reading but it was not as impactful for me at least as Name of The Wind. Sigh maybe someday we will get the third book...

Just now, StormingTexan said:

Wow how do you read that in 7 hours?! If I recal it's almost as long as Way of Kings. Props to your reading speed! 

Wise Mans Fear is worth reading but it was not as impactful for me at least as Name of The Wind. Sigh maybe someday we will get the third book...

I have the fastest reading speed possible without having a perfect memory. My girlfriend is slightly slower. And the Way of Kings is longer. I had to stay up in order to finish it. But it was so much fun! I don't really get to read engrossing books very often

Just now, StormingTexan said:

Oh you're right I was thinking The Name of the Wind and Wise Mans Fear were about the same length but the later is much longer. 

Thats impresive. Even when I had time to read 18 hours straight I couldn't have done it anywhere near that speed.

I'm a bit obsessive about reading. I've practically been reading since birth, so I guess I kind of picked up the skill. 

I don't think I'm as fast of a reader as you, @The Flash, but I can read pretty fast as well. I'd be able to read and finish books faster if I could read them all at once, but I'm usually busy with school or sleeping. Of course, now that it's summer, that won't be a problem. Except, sadly, I've finished all of the Cosmere books, so RIP.

11 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Bits and pieces about carrying souls with him, and such. It's getting interesting right now. Cutter and Apsalar just defended the Throne of Shadow from the Edur, and the unidentified Traveller now holds Vengeance in his hands. 

Yep it's much more of the series reread nuggets  rather then it just clicking in your head on 1st read. 

On 2017-6-2 at 2:25 PM, AngelEy3 said:

Hide contents

The Traveller is an interesting character, just keep him in the back of your mind. The sword's name is cool, isn't it?

On 2017-6-2 at 6:07 PM, StormingTexan said:

I liked all parts of WMF except the training part.

Previously this position went to the Felurian part, but once I listened to them...I suddenly found them amazing. They are written in some sort of meter.

12 minutes ago, Hood said:

The Traveller is an interesting character, just keep him in the back of your mind. The sword's name is cool, isn't it?

I think that until I find out otherwise, I'm considering Traveller to be Hoid. Because why not? Lol

Does anyone here know Latin? 

I am reading The Name of The Rose, and many parts just don't make sense. The monks just start speaking Latin in their sentences all that 'lorem ipsum etc'. I just assume that they mean whatever is written after them in English. 

38 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

I think that until I find out otherwise, I'm considering Traveller to be Hoid. Because why not? Lol

For some reason I thought Traveller identify was revealed in book 4...I know it is definitely revealed in book 8 though. Your next book #5 is one of my two personal favorites, but I think to fully appreciate it will have to be on a reread; most fans including myself were initially disappointed being introduced to a new continent with a new character cast.

My plan is to finally finish the Old Testament Apocrypha this morning, I only have about a hundred pages left. It'll probably take me almost two hours to read since it's old material though. 

I requested fifteen books from the library yesterday, and hopefully I'll have most of them by the end of the week. I haven't decided what I'll start with, but I can't wait to dig into several of them. I'll probably be making a lot of posts in this thread this month if all goes well:D

Felt like I needed to switch things up some so I grabbed a phycological thriller The Good Girl by Mary Kubica. It was kinda meh. Decided to then follow this up with a complete read of the Hannibal Lecter books. I read a couple a long time ago but never read the entire series. Started Red Dragon yesterday. 

My Malazan & other reading time has been cut so much since summer started and my all out binge watching to finish Twin Peaks. I had hoped to be on bk 4 about a week ago but alas I'm only just shy of pg 600 so still have a ways to go. I'm also really surprised... I haven't skipped a bit of Myhbe arc at all. I hated her on 1st go but not minding one bit on 2nd.

As much as I do like the story, I have to admit I have serious issues with Kip's character. No matter how hard I try, I just find him incredibly annoying: nothing works with me in his character. Warning, this will be a rant :ph34r:

Spoiler

The mouthiness seems out of the place, it is illogical anyone would say the things he says when he says them. It is even more illogical nobody is calling him out for it. I am terribly annoyed at everyone just wanting to ruffle his hair merely because he is being an insufferable brat and while yeah, I get it, hard circumstances, it still does not exonerate the chip he has over his shoulder. He just complains endlessly over how useless he is merely because he failed to draft after trying for an hour... :rolleyes: OMG you might have to actually work to acquire a skill :ph34r: I also hate how he was made to nearly break the test, to master everything faster than everyone else and, worst have everyone treat him like some adorable pet mascot when he should get send to his room for his behavior, not praise for "Oh look at that, he did a prank, how adorable.".

Sorry. I currently cannot stand his character :ph34r:

On the bright side, I've just read Karris's backstory and I found it very touching :(

Spoiler

Poor girl is being merchandised to the highest bidder, treated as an object, raped, humiliated, ruined and left pregnant with an illegitimate child whom she gives away to a foreign family. She then proceeds to re-invent herself into a member of the Blackguard. I thought it was very sad. At least, since Kip bears no resemblance to Karris and since "Dazen" knew his mother, I can safely trust he isn't her long lost son. I hope :ph34r:

Gavin and Karris have thus became my favorite characters. I like Corvan well enough, but the "I will not talk" trope isn't plausible here. Same with Liv.

2 hours ago, Briar King said:

My Malazan & other reading time has been cut so much since summer started and my all out binge watching to finish Twin Peaks. I had hoped to be on bk 4 about a week ago but alas I'm only just shy of pg 600 so still have a ways to go. I'm also really surprised... I haven't skipped a bit of Myhbe arc at all. I hated her on 1st go but not minding one bit on 2nd.

I'm having issues with book 4, myself...made it to act 4 last night and had to take a break. It just kind of feels like this one is dragging a bit more than the previous 3. MoI was my favorite to this point.