What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

On 3/23/2017 at 11:07 PM, StormingTexan said:

@maxal I agree with your points above regarding Powder Mage. I think I mentioned when you were reading the series Borbador was my favorite character. Of course no book is perfect I still think the series is really solid. 

The series remain pretty solid, but it isn't as solid as say... Stormlight Archive. I like my magic to make sense, I like it to be a rational for why there is magic, where it comes from and how it can be used. Bone-eyed magic fit neither of those criteria and whenever I stumble upon something so loosely based which is constantly used to help the protagonists, I get the bad feeling the magic exist solely as a plot device. In other words, the author needed something malleable, versatile which could perform exactly what the protagonists need at the time where they need it without requiring much knowledge ad/or practice, hence he created Bone-eyed magic.

Borbador wrapped up into a very interesting character.

Spoiler

Him and Nila were my favorite read in book 3. Taniel, I started up really liking him, but his relationship with Kae-Poel literally ruined the character for me. The "Kae-Poel, Kae-Poel, I have to find her, let's be an idiot, rush forward without any support, kill my men because I am too blind-sighted to think because all I can think of is Kae-Poel". Unnerving. Luckily, there was the Taniel/Tamas relationship which I loved to read, so all wasn't lost, but really Kae-Poel... I disliked how her character was used and I hate the "Oh I thought you were younger, but now you are magically old enough, I love you" trope.

22 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I enjoyed both of the series despite their flaws (which I agree with). Another series that started at around the same time and should have the fifth and final book published later the year is the Shadow Campaign series by Wexler. It is another "flintlock fantasy",a lot of fun, and probably my favorite of the three that I've mentioned. The first book is called, "The Thousand Names".

What is flintlock fantasy? I am not familiar with the term.

7 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

I think you'll find that there's decent enough reason for Triste being the way she is, and even for Adare's shortcomings. Lol, not that it makes either of them any more likable. 

As far as being a girl who won't speak up or share all she knows when it's important to do so goes.... Have you met many young girls? Purely anecdotal here, but my experience is that it's the norm for younger women to share pertinent information about something only after its too late to use said info. Whether it's from fear, naivety, or not recognizing they have the info that's needed, I couldn't say... But what I do know is that as unpalatable to the current social landscape Triste has been so far, i didn't find any of her character choices to be unbelievable, more like incredibly unfair, if not based somewhat in reality. 

I used to be a young girl and I never could muster people who refused to speak up. While I could always understand the concept of "secrets", it felt as if people would retained them way longer than logical or worst, they would retain it just to keep on having others think they were interesting. Basically, secrets for a girl is a manipulative tool: "Oh look t me, boohoo I have a secret, poor little me, please feel sympathy for me." and others would go: "Oh poor you, it must be terrible.". I also had some issues, growing up, coming to terms with the idea having "secrets" is what made you interesting as if an individual's worth was tied up to his/her ability to be infuriatingly silent about a thing or two. It is probably why, today, I have a hard time with such characters: I don't find Triste interesting and her having a "secret" doesn't make her more endearing to me, it makes her more infuriating. I react basically the same way to most character following those tropes.

Thus, it isn't I find her unbelievable, I do find her believable, I find her aggravating. I find it even more grating this entire story arc revolves around several bad decisions being made for dubious reasons which magically all end up converging into a good decision. I prefer when my protagonists make decisions which makes sense to them and I prefer when it takes more than two days with a girl for her to literally drive a given character's thoughts and actions.

Adare, my problems aren't with her character, so to speak as I rather like her, but with the fact the author had to rely on Intervention of a God for her story arc to work out. The Gods haven't been seen to do anything so far in the story, so you can't just have one drop in there and do something just because it is convenient for your character... I, as a reader, don't buy it.

I finished the Earthsea trilogy yesterday! Wow, Ursula Leguin has to be one of the most underrated fantasy authors of her time. Her work was far better than anything that Brooks, McCaffry, or Goodkind put out. I mean, set aside the fact that the books are fantastic, Sparrowhawk is black, the priestess of Atuan was a vulnerable but strong female character, Sparrowhawk is awesome not because he kills dragons but because he can talk with them safely. How on earth are these books not considered as important as Middle Earth, Pern, and WoT? 

13 minutes ago, maxal said:

The series remain pretty solid, but it isn't as solid as say... Stormlight Archive.

Well yeah of course not the grasshopper hasn't taken the pebble yet. 

6 minutes ago, Left said:

I finished the Earthsea trilogy yesterday! Wow, Ursula Leguin has to be one of the most underrated fantasy authors of her time. Her work was far better than anything that Brooks, McCaffry, or Goodkind put out. I mean, set aside the fact that the books are fantastic, Sparrowhawk is black, the priestess of Atuan was a vulnerable but strong female character, Sparrowhawk is awesome not because he kills dragons but because he can talk with them safely. How on earth are these books not considered as important as Middle Earth, Pern, and WoT? 

It's usually always in the "top fantasy books ever" list. I really need to read it. I've had the first book for ever. Might be up next. 

@maxal from Wikipedia: Flintlock is a general term for any firearm that uses a flint striking ignition mechanism. The term may also apply to a particular form of the mechanism itself, also known as the true flintlock, that was introduced in the early 17thcentury, and rapidly replaced earlier firearm-ignition technologies, such as the matchlock, the wheellock, and the earlier flintlock mechanisms.

So flintlock fantasy means fantasy with gunpowder and guns basically. The term serves the purpose of alliteration and approximate technology level.

Just now, Ammanas said:

@maxal from Wikipedia: Flintlock is a general term for any firearm that uses a flint striking ignition mechanism. The term may also apply to a particular form of the mechanism itself, also known as the true flintlock, that was introduced in the early 17thcentury, and rapidly replaced earlier firearm-ignition technologies, such as the matchlock, the wheellock, and the earlier flintlock mechanisms.

So flintlock fantasy means fantasy with gunpowder and guns basically. The term serves the purpose of alliteration and approximate technology level.

Thanks for explaining :)

5 hours ago, Left said:

Yea, LeGuin is one I recommend to anyone who asks me for fantasy recommendations.  Her sci-fi is pretty good too, most of it, at least.

Currently doubling up on Duskfall by Christopher Husberg and a re-read of The Hero of Ages. I'm really enjoying them both. Duskfall feels different than a lot of other epic fantasy I've read, and since one of my good friends reviewed it very positively I have pretty high expectations for the 1/3 of the book I have left.

2 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Just finished The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks. Add book 5 to my list of things to look forward to, cause that was awesome. I really like where all of this seems to be heading. Trying to decide now whether to start Sabriel or The Night Angel trilogy. 

Start Sabriel! The Old Kingdom Series is so good! 

12 minutes ago, Koldun said:

I'm currently reading Grace of Kings, Riyria Revelations, and the Red Rising Trilogy.

Upvote for Red Rising. 

I'm approximately a third of the way into Chapterhouse Dune. It's pretty meh so far. It hasn't gotten as disturbing or weird as Children of Dune, but it's not especially good either. I guess the best comparison is that it's like God Emperor, but with a lot more characters/conflicts, but none are really that interesting.  

44 minutes ago, Koldun said:

I'm currently reading Grace of Kings, Riyria Revelations, and the Red Rising Trilogy.

Love all three of those books! I think a lot of the "western" audience just didn't get Grace of Kings, but I thought it was amazing. Goldn Son and Morningstar are improvements on a already pretty solid Red Rising.

19 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

I started Sabriel. One chapter in and I'm hooked already. I actually tried starting Lies of Locke Lamora again first,  but something in my head keeps me from getting a good hook.

I'm just a little ways into Rogue One, but I also just picked up the first two books of The Powder Mage trilogy. Which they purchased because I recommended them. Which means I'm the first person to read these copies. Which is cool.

So I finished Duskfall tonight and it was pretty awesome. (Awesome enough that I'll probably write an in-depth review of it in the near future!) The "About the Author" says Christopher Husberg went to BYU and was mentored by Brandon Sanderson, so that's cool too. =)

Now I have a dilemma: what to read next? XD I've got a giant pile of physical books that I need to read, including but not limited to:

Dragonwatch by Brandon Mull
The Caretaker's Guide to Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
Ones and Zeroes by Dan Wells
Mortal Coil by Derek Landy (This would be a re-read for me)
Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes by Rick Riordan
Demon Road by Derek Landy
Lockwood & Co: The Creeping Shadow by Jonathan Stroud
Back Off, I'm a Ninja by Natalie Whipple
The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan
Defy by Sara B Larson

Plus a few from less-known authors that I feel like I should read and review sooner rather than later:

Storms by Kevin L Nielsen
Dr Wolf: Dragon's Bayne by Cheree Alsop
The Lady and the Frog by L Palmer

Any arguments for which one I should read next?

On 3/27/2017 at 6:32 AM, StrikerEZ said:

Finished Sabriel. It was very good and entertaining, but somewhat lighter than I would have expected a story about Necromancy to be. That being said, I ordered the other 4 Old Kingdom booksfrom Amazon, and should have them by Friday. I get to read at work, so my pace can be fairly quick. I should really start going to the Library though... I totalled up my Amazon orders for the last 6 months and found out that I've spent over $400 on books. Wife was not impressed with me, lol. 

18 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Finished Sabriel. It was very good and entertaining, but somewhat lighter than I would have expected a story about Necromancy to be. That being said, I ordered the other 4 Old Kingdom booksfrom Amazon, and should have them by Friday. I get to read at work, so my pace can be fairly quick. I should really start going to the Library though... I totalled up my Amazon orders for the last 6 months and found out that I've spent over $400 on books. Wife was not impressed with me, lol. 

Yeah, while there is necromancy, it's definitely not meant to be very dark. At least, that's how I interpreted it. There's so much more to the world than just necromancy, trust me. 

11 hours ago, Oversleep said:

...wait... *counts* Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen... that's three...

There's two more?

Yes, he made a prequel, Clariel. Then he made another book, more recently, set after Abhorsen, Goldenhands.

Edited by StrikerEZ

On 3/28/2017 at 10:34 PM, Sunbird said:

So I finished Duskfall tonight and it was pretty awesome. (Awesome enough that I'll probably write an in-depth review of it in the near future!) The "About the Author" says Christopher Husberg went to BYU and was mentored by Brandon Sanderson, so that's cool too. =)

Now I have a dilemma: what to read next? XD I've got a giant pile of physical books that I need to read, including but not limited to:

Dragonwatch by Brandon Mull
The Caretaker's Guide to Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
Ones and Zeroes by Dan Wells
Mortal Coil by Derek Landy (This would be a re-read for me)
Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes by Rick Riordan
Demon Road by Derek Landy
Lockwood & Co: The Creeping Shadow by Jonathan Stroud
Back Off, I'm a Ninja by Natalie Whipple
The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan
Defy by Sara B Larson

Plus a few from less-known authors that I feel like I should read and review sooner rather than later:

Storms by Kevin L Nielsen
Dr Wolf: Dragon's Bayne by Cheree Alsop
The Lady and the Frog by L Palmer

Any arguments for which one I should read next?

I decided on Dragonwatch and finished it this evening. I have been indescribably happy today to be reading about Fablehaven again. =)

Next up: Demon Road.

I finished Chapterhouse Dune. It was actually quite a bit better than I was expecting. I'm frustrated by the lack of a conclusive ending, because it makes me want to start reading the sequels that Brain Herbert wrote. I'm not actually interested in reading Brian's work though. I'm probably going to end up reading some, because there's something in me that really wants an end to the saga. A full explanation of the true purpose of the Golden Path, the effects of the Cyborg, and the final reprucussions of the Scattering. Ugghh....I should have just quit reading after Dune because I'm sure there's not going to be an ending that will satisfy me. 

14 minutes ago, Left said:

I finished Chapterhouse Dune. It was actually quite a bit better than I was expecting. I'm frustrated by the lack of a conclusive ending, because it makes me want to start reading the sequels that Brain Herbert wrote. I'm not actually interested in reading Brian's work though. I'm probably going to end up reading some, because there's something in me that really wants an end to the saga. A full explanation of the true purpose of the Golden Path, the effects of the Cyborg, and the final reprucussions of the Scattering. Ugghh....I should have just quit reading after Dune because I'm sure there's not going to be an ending that will satisfy me. 

So I stopped after Children. There are many times I think I should pick it back up. The Dune universe is almost haunting and it's killed me sometimes to think I've never seen how it ends (does it end?). I've read a few people's reviews that say you really should just stop after Dune and then just imagine the rest how ever you want. 

Just now, StormingTexan said:

So I stopped after Children. There are many times I think I should pick it back up. The Dune universe is almost haunting and it's killed me sometimes to think I've never seen how it ends (does it end?). I've read a few people's reviews that say you really should just stop after Dune and then just imagine the rest how ever you want. 

I know the feeling. So far, having read the six Frank Herbert books, there isn't a proper ending. After Children each book ends, and I want to stop, but I can't because too much was teased and I just have a horrible ache in me wanting to know where the universe is going. Whenever I recommend Dune to people I always tell them to only read the first book. There's no need for them to try to get into the rest and then get pulled along in this agony that I've been going through for the past three years as I fight myself on whether or not to keep reading.