What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

On 3/15/2017 at 10:06 PM, StrikerEZ said:

I just finished Ghostly Echoes by William Ritt, which I've been meaning to read for a long time now. It was absolutely amazing. Maybe if I were a better detective myself, I could've seen the obvious hints towards the big plot twist at the end (which had been hinted since the first book), but I'm not. I also tend not to worry too much about that stuff while I'm reading books. I tend to just read as if I'm the character, figuring out everything along with them.

But I really recommend anyone read the first book, Jackaby, if you like the idea of Sherlock Holmes meets fantasy (fairies, underworld, etc.) and lots and lots of mystery (plus a little bit of tasteful romance). And William Ritter is just marvelous with his writing. So simplistic, yet so amazingly beautiful.

I looooove this series! I've saved so many funny quotes from it.

I finished Hearing Secret Harmonies, bringing my reading of A Dance to the Music of Time by Anthony Powell to a close. This must be what Harold Bloom meant when he referred to the "sublime." It's been a few years since I've been left dazed by the conclusion of a series. (The last being The Prince of Nothing series for non-sublime reasons, and then the Aegypt cycle by John Crowley before that).

Now to read The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu for Book Club next week.

I recently read Half Upon a Time, and it is perhaps the most amusing thing I've ever read. The main character lives in a village where everyone is training to become heroes to rescue princesses, but the MC is totally disillusioned with the likelihood and reasonability of it ever happening. Of course, a damsel in distress does appear, and he is the only one smart enough to help her. The first 20 pages or so made my sides ache with how much the MC mocked the tropes of fairytales.

The third book floored me. It referenced Norse mythology so seamlessly in a book that was a Snow White remake that it took me a minute to fully realize what happened. It was an obvious reference to me, but I can see it would be impossible to catch if you don't know what was going on. It wasn't necessary to understand the plot, but it was a really interesting touch, and made this series one of my new favorites.

Just finished the lost stars series, very good read although I was disappointed in how Jack Campbell suddenly forgot how light works at several points in the story, normally this wouldn't be an issue but in a series that's so well known for it's realistic depiction of physics this just struck me as annoying.

50 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

@Djarskublar I too found that trilogy very lolworthy. Since you enjoyed it so much, I recommend checking out James Riley's other series, Story Thieves. It also makes a lot of fun of storytelling tropes and breaks the fourth wall in an almost Alcatraz-esque style at times.

Did you catch the Norse reference?

Spoiler

You, know... Odin and his eight-legged horse as the other interdimentional traveler?

Wow forgot how much I like the Powder Mage books. Half way through Promise of Blood and picking up on so much more. This reminds me how much differently I enjoy a book the second go round. When I'm not busy wondering what will happen next I stop to smell the roses so to speak. 

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

Wow forgot how much I like the Powder Mage books. Half way through Promise of Blood and picking up on so much more. This reminds me how much differently I enjoy a book the second go round. When I'm not busy wondering what will happen next I stop to smell the roses so to speak. 

I remember liking this bk when it was new but I never bought the others. I d have to re read it now if I get them.

I enjoyed book 1 more than 2, but I know I'm in the minority.  I just thought that McClellan did an excellent job setting up book 1, giving you an interesting world with nuanced characters a little bit at a time, and making you want to learn more.  Come book 2, there wasn't all that much worldbuilding left to give.  Some people would see this as a plus, but I like table setting.

Haven't read 3 yet but I'm looking forward to it.  Good characters.

Edited by Who Sharded?

I've started book three of Earthsea. I'm really impressed with the first two books, I've read books similar in spirit but not written so skillfully and I really respect Ursula Leguin for that. 

I'm hoping to get a hold of Sins of Empire soon, but it may take me a few weeks. I really want to read Chapterhouse Dune, except that I keep picking it up and start reading and then want to put it straight back down. I'm also about to start reading a book about modern Turkey's culture and customs. 

I have 11 books checked out right now, one of them being Mistborn, and I don't know which one to read. I really wanna read Mistborn, but I kinda want to wait to read it so I can get the next books in the series right after it. 

Here are the books I have:

Mistborn; The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid; Wings of Fire: Talons of Power by Tui T. Sutherland; The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley; Unwanteds: Island of Dragons by Lisa McMann; Time Riders by Alex Scarrow; The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken; Seven Wonders: The Legend of the Rift by Peter Lerangis; Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix; Shadow Magic by Joshua Khan; Antigoddess by Kendare Blake

(If you're wondering why I have so many books checks out at once, it's because I put them all on hold, and if you don't check books out that you've put on hold by a certain time at my library, they stop holding them for you)

I enjoyed Powder Mage, it was good trilogy and I'll definitely read McClellan future work. This being said, I do have criticism to offer.

Spoiler

While I loved privileged and powder magic, while I didn't mind the Knack, I had a hard time with bone-eyed magic. It came out of nowhere out of a self-taught mute girl everyone marvels over who's only purpose seemed to be a plot device. I also didn't like what her character did to Taniel in book 3: he was a great character up until he turned Perrin and became eye-rolling. I ended up preferring Borbador and Nila to Taniel in book 3, but the part with his father were quite good and touching.

On another note, I have a few issues with book 2 of the Chronicle of the Unhewm Throne. I still like the series, but I am finding a few story arc and plot points unnerving.

Spoiler

1) I cannot stand Triste's character. I absolutely hate those pitiful miserable too beautiful girl characters who are more than they appear, who are dumb enough to give out the clues for it, but complain and refuse to speak when others ask questions. She didn't deserve the torture, but my, had she just tell the truth to begin with, she might not have ended up there in the first place. I haven't read far enough to know what her "secret" is, but it better be incredibly good in order to justify the "Oh I don't know, I don't know how I can read Csestriim, I don't know how I was taught. Oh why are you asking me questions, I have just read and quotes something in an ancient dead language spoken for people not seen for hundred of years, how dare you ask me anything? Oh please, I so pitiful, you have to believe me when I say I do not know anything." Ahhhhh. So unnerving. Die, die, die :o:ph34r:

2) I hate what Triste's character has done to Kaden whom previously was a decent character. Now it seems he is going to base every single one of his decision making over this girl he has known for a few days and his idiotic teenage crush on her. Saving her was stupid, freeing Kiel was stupid, but I wager it will turn out being the best decision ever even if he had absolutely no valid reason to make it if not for a very dubious one.

3) Adare started as a decent character, but I hate the fact her success depends on Chance Encounters and Divine Intervention. It makes it implausible and it robs the character from her agency. Hopefully, we are done with those.

4) I feel as if the author is trying to defend the idea beating people in horrible manner which should have killed them will only make them stronger, better individuals. As if beating children as a decent, valid, justified way to raise children... Senseless. He is pushing it a bit too far.

So, I hope my current annoyment will be short-lived. The story is still fun to read, just frustrating by bouts.

3 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

I have 11 books checked out right now, one of them being Mistborn, and I don't know which one to read. I really wanna read Mistborn, but I kinda want to wait to read it so I can get the next books in the series right after it. 

Mistborn; The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid; Wings of Fire: Talons of Power by Tui T. Sutherland; The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley; Unwanteds: Island of Dragons by Lisa McMann; Time Riders by Alex Scarrow; The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken; Seven Wonders: The Legend of the Rift by Peter Lerangis; Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix; Shadow Magic by Joshua Khan; Antigoddess by Kendare Blake

(If you're wondering why I have so many books checks out at once, it's because I put them all on hold, and if you don't check books out that you've put on hold by a certain time at my library, they stop holding them for you)

If you decide to wait on Mistborn, I highly recommend The Diabolic. As a general rule, I only write in-depth reviews for books that I really love, and that one got a thorough review.

6 minutes ago, Sunbird said:

If you decide to wait on Mistborn, I highly recommend The Diabolic. As a general rule, I only write in-depth reviews for books that I really love, and that one got a thorough review.

Yeah, that one was sounding interesting.

I think I'm gonna read the end of series/standalone books first, then I'll read Mistborn and the others. I'm starting off with The Seven Wonders book because I've been waiting forever to read that one, then I'll just go from there.

15 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

My library system also will only keep your hold on the shelf for a week before reclaiming it. But it (and many other libraries) offer a option where you can put your holds on pause (you resume your place in the que when you unpause it without losing your place in line). I don't know if that's a option, but it may be something to look into.

12 hours ago, maxal said:

I enjoyed Powder Mage, it was good trilogy and I'll definitely read McClellan future work. This being said, I do have criticism to offer.

Reveal hidden contents

While I loved privileged and powder magic, while I didn't mind the Knack, I had a hard time with bone-eyed magic. It came out of nowhere out of a self-taught mute girl everyone marvels over who's only purpose seemed to be a plot device. I also didn't like what her character did to Taniel in book 3: he was a great character up until he turned Perrin and became eye-rolling. I ended up preferring Borbador and Nila to Taniel in book 3, but the part with his father were quite good and touching.

On another note, I have a few issues with book 2 of the Chronicle of the Unhewm Throne. I still like the series, but I am finding a few story arc and plot points unnerving.

Reveal hidden contents

1) I cannot stand Triste's character. I absolutely hate those pitiful miserable too beautiful girl characters who are more than they appear, who are dumb enough to give out the clues for it, but complain and refuse to speak when others ask questions. She didn't deserve the torture, but my, had she just tell the truth to begin with, she might not have ended up there in the first place. I haven't read far enough to know what her "secret" is, but it better be incredibly good in order to justify the "Oh I don't know, I don't know how I can read Csestriim, I don't know how I was taught. Oh why are you asking me questions, I have just read and quotes something in an ancient dead language spoken for people not seen for hundred of years, how dare you ask me anything? Oh please, I so pitiful, you have to believe me when I say I do not know anything." Ahhhhh. So unnerving. Die, die, die :o:ph34r:

2) I hate what Triste's character has done to Kaden whom previously was a decent character. Now it seems he is going to base every single one of his decision making over this girl he has known for a few days and his idiotic teenage crush on her. Saving her was stupid, freeing Kiel was stupid, but I wager it will turn out being the best decision ever even if he had absolutely no valid reason to make it if not for a very dubious one.

3) Adare started as a decent character, but I hate the fact her success depends on Chance Encounters and Divine Intervention. It makes it implausible and it robs the character from her agency. Hopefully, we are done with those.

4) I feel as if the author is trying to defend the idea beating people in horrible manner which should have killed them will only make them stronger, better individuals. As if beating children as a decent, valid, justified way to raise children... Senseless. He is pushing it a bit too far.

So, I hope my current annoyment will be short-lived. The story is still fun to read, just frustrating by bouts.

12 hours ago, maxal said:

I enjoyed both of the series despite their flaws (which I agree with). Another series that started at around the same time and should have the fifth and final book published later the year is the Shadow Campaign series by Wexler. It is another "flintlock fantasy",a lot of fun, and probably my favorite of the three that I've mentioned. The first book is called, "The Thousand Names".

Edited by Ammanas

On 3/23/2017 at 8:47 PM, maxal said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I think you'll find that there's decent enough reason for Triste being the way she is, and even for Adare's shortcomings. Lol, not that it makes either of them any more likable. 

As far as being a girl who won't speak up or share all she knows when it's important to do so goes.... Have you met many young girls? Purely anecdotal here, but my experience is that it's the norm for younger women to share pertinent information about something only after its too late to use said info. Whether it's from fear, naivety, or not recognizing they have the info that's needed, I couldn't say... But what I do know is that as unpalatable to the current social landscape Triste has been so far, i didn't find any of her character choices to be unbelievable, more like incredibly unfair, if not based somewhat in reality.