What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

Just finished Elfstones of Shannara, and Sword before that. I can see where people are coming from with the LOTR clone hate, but I mostly just felt it to be enjoyable and that was enough for me. Gotta take a break for now before I start Wishsong. Thinking about starting Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne tonight, but I might try to take down Anansi Boys before Norse Mythology comes out on the 7th.

Just finished One by Sarah Crossan, and started on The Wise Man's Fear, book two of the Kingkiller Chronicles. I've heard that it has some sex scenes, so I'm a bit wary, but it should be good. Next I might read Pawn of Prophecy, first book of the Belgarid. My mum recomended it to me, so it should be good.

55 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

Just finished One by Sarah Crossan, and started on The Wise Man's Fear, book two of the Kingkiller Chronicles. I've heard that it has some sex scenes, so I'm a bit wary, but it should be good. Next I might read Pawn of Prophecy, first book of the Belgarid. My mum recomended it to me, so it should be good.

I wouldn't worry much about the sex scenes/scene. It's not terribly graphic except to say that it was happening. I don't recall even blushing about it, but I may be more calloused than most when it comes to those things.

It's definitely not GRRM or Stephen King where you need to stop reading for a smoke and a shower after the scene is over. 

30 minutes ago, AngelEy3 said:

I wouldn't worry much about the sex scenes/scene. It's not terribly graphic except to say that it was happening. I don't recall even blushing about it, but I may be more calloused than most when it comes to those things.

It's definitely not GRRM or Stephen King where you need to stop reading for a smoke and a shower after the scene is over. 

Good to know...

16 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Just finished Elfstones of Shannara, and Sword before that. I can see where people are coming from with the LOTR clone hate, but I mostly just felt it to be enjoyable and that was enough for me. Gotta take a break for now before I start Wishsong. Thinking about starting Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne tonight, but I might try to take down Anansi Boys before Norse Mythology comes out on the 7th.

Sword is pretty much an LOTR clone, for sure, but if you are going to copy something, it helps to copy the best.  Elfstones I recall being sort of generic and predictable, but not too bad.  Wishsong is where the series starts to differentiate itself from the sort of generic fantasy to become its own thing.

4 hours ago, Dunkum said:

Sword is pretty much an LOTR clone, for sure, but if you are going to copy something, it helps to copy the best.  Elfstones I recall being sort of generic and predictable, but not too bad.  Wishsong is where the series starts to differentiate itself from the sort of generic fantasy to become its own thing.

Ok good to know. I ended up starting Emperor's Blades last night and I'm not disappointed so far. I usually have a few series going at once (just like TV shows) so I'll probably head back over to Shannara in a week or so. 

I'm taking a small break from Daniel Abraham's books to read Malice by Gwynne..After 150 pgs I'm kind of torn about it. Its good, but there are some things that are keeping it from being great: the characters, world building, prose are all just ok. Nothing really stands out. I will definitely finish, but unless it picks up I will not continue the series. Part of the problem is coming off of a book I loved with Cibola Burn so this one is a bit of a let down. Still its a big book so there's plenty of time for it to improve.

17 hours ago, LeftVash said:

I found it very easy to skim and skip read over the sections, so yuppers, you'll probably be fine. 

Thou shalt not skip parts of books.

I'll probably never understand the aversion to having sexuality in a story... It exists all around us like the force, it makes characters more rounded and helps create who they are on another level. I don't mind when it's not included, but it doesn't bother me when it is. It just sort of IS I guess....

Life... Life, uh... Life finds a way. 

On 01/02/2017 at 1:09 PM, AngelEy3 said:

Thou shalt not skip parts of books.

I'll probably never understand the aversion to having sexuality in a story... It exists all around us like the force, it makes characters more rounded and helps create who they are on another level. I don't mind when it's not included, but it doesn't bother me when it is. It just sort of IS I guess....

Life... Life, uh... Life finds a way. 

Oh, I'm fine with books including sex scenes. However, I like them to be tactful. I don't want to spend time reading about how two characters had sex and what they did and stuff. Not something I find particularly interesting.
Although I'm not much into romance in any case...

17 hours ago, A Budgie said:

Oh, I'm fine with books including sex scenes. However, I like them to be tactful. I don't want to spend time reading about how two characters had sex and what they did and stuff. Not something I find particularly interesting.
Although I'm not much into romance in any case...

Don't read Outlander then lol.

i finished Safehold 6 today and started 7. 6 was by far my least fav so far. I counted up how long it took to read. I started it 12/22, but I had a 10 day break to read Arcanum. 31 days. Yikes

17 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Don't read Outlander then lol.

i finished Safehold 6 today and started 7. 6 was by far my least fav so far. I counted up how long it took to read. I started it 12/22, but I had a 10 day break to read Arcanum. 31 days. Yikes

:lol::lol::lol::ph34r:

Anyone having seen the TV series would warn anyone to stay away from those books if they don't like sex scenes :mellow: I personally feel the series is more romance than fantasy as the "fantasist" element is really low key. I cried like an idiot when I read the second book all those years ago :ph34r: 

23 minutes ago, maxal said:

:lol::lol::lol::ph34r:

Anyone having seen the TV series would warn anyone to stay away from those books if they don't like sex scenes :mellow: I personally feel the series is more romance than fantasy as the "fantasist" element is really low key. I cried like an idiot when I read the second book all those years ago :ph34r: 

I enjoy both a lot. I had the notion to power read the series but as I got them in mail and saw they get bigger I began to disregard that approach. Hell bk 5&6 are 1400+ pgs... I'd get burnt out. I'm gonna read each bk prior to that season coming to screen. I finished bk 3 so far.

note the sad part you mentionhit me as well. In fact the week this ep aired was the same week GoT's Hold the Door aired and I thought Outlander was more of a gut punch watch out of the two.

21 minutes ago, Briar King said:

I enjoy both a lot. I had the notion to power read the series but as I got them in mail and saw they get bigger I began to disregard that approach. Hell bk 5&6 are 1400+ pgs... I'd get burnt out. I'm gonna read each bk prior to that season coming to screen. I finished bk 3 so far.

note the sad part you mentionhit me as well. In fact the week this ep aired was the same week GoT's Hold the Door aired and I thought Outlander was more of a gut punch watch out of the two.

In my personal opinion, the series plummeted down starting in book 5: I never finished book 6, but I did enjoy the first four. After a while though, I felt the story was getting repetitive, but maybe I just wasn't in the mood when I picked up book 6. The plot they introduced fail to engage me.

I haven't seen all the episodes just yet... so I am keen to see their take on book 2's ending. I sort of missed it when it aired and I am currently watching the French translation on local TV. People often forget Outlander was written years before GoT and it does feature male rape, sex and violence all the while cruising through historical facts but, just like the Titanic, you don't expect to read a love story all the while knowing they are doomed, doomed and doomed, because history says so. It is a much more powerful heart-breaking element than any prophecy: you know how it is going to end and you know you won't like it.

Edited by maxal

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. I am done with Elantris: I really enjoyed it :) It get it, it is Brandon's first book, it isn't as polished or as well written as his most recent ones, but I truly loved the story. I loved the characters as well, so this was a win with me. The art in the book is also quite pretty, it makes me want to splurge onto the expensive version with all of the nice coloring.

Now, the question that kills: what to read next? :ph34r:

Initially, I had panned to read Brent Weeks Lightbringer series, but recently I was recommended to read the Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne which I see others seem to have read.

So huh, what do you guys think? Which one should I go with first? I also had the Dagger and Coins on my list, but I somehow seem more drawn to these other two.

I just finished The Heart of What was Lost, a brand new novella by Tad Williams immediately following the events of Memory,Sorrow, and Thorn. It was a very, very good novella, and I can't wait for the new trilogy. The first one comes out right around my birthday, so happy birthday to me!!!

3 hours ago, Left said:

I just finished The Heart of What was Lost, a brand new novella by Tad Williams immediately following the events of Memory,Sorrow, and Thorn. It was a very, very good novella, and I can't wait for the new trilogy. The first one comes out right around my birthday, so happy birthday to me!!!

I have to re read MST 1st but I did check the novella out not long ago. I wasn't going to pay the HC $ on that though! I ll wait for PB

Just finished the third book in James Riley's Story Thieves series, Secret Origins. I swear, these books are as hilarious, convoluted, and amazing as Alcatraz! Can't wait for the fourth one.

I'm also starting on The Well of Ascension as part of my Cosmere re-read to prepare for the release of Oathbringer later this year. :D

16 minutes ago, A Budgie said:

Okay. I need a new book to read.
Suggestions?

There's

1. Worm by Wildblow (online book and a fair bit long)

2. Traitor Son Cycle (more on the mature end of high fantasy, but a good book)

3. Kingkiller (need I say more)

4. Lightbringer series (very enjoyable)

5. and well any Rick Riordan series (good for light reading)

@A Budgie oh boy. You just opened up a can of worms. I have so many recommendations. XD

1. Author Rachel Aaron: her completed epic fantasy series The Legend of Eli Monpress, first book "The Spirit Thief" and her in-progress Heartstrikers series, first book "Nice Dragons Finish Last."

2. Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series (completed) and his newer book The Aeronaut's Windlass. (The Dresden Files are also good, but I think the other two are better.)

3. The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima, first book "The Demon King."

4. "Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke

5. "Got Luck" by Michael Darling

6. "Sands" by Kevin Nielsen

7. "Marrow" by Preston Norton

8. William Shakespeare's Star Wars by Ian Doescher: a reimagining of the original six movies as 5-act Shakespeare plays. Utterly hilarious.

9. Basically anything by Brandon Mull, but especially his Fablehaven and Beyonders series

10. "Jackaby" by William Ritter (the second and third books in the series are out now too)

11. "Falling Kingdoms" by Morgan Rhodes (five books in this series so far)

12. "Story Thieves" by James Riley that I mentioned above, as well as his Half Upon a Time trilogy

13. The completed Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud (first book "The Amulet of Samarkand") and the ongoing series Lockwood & Co (first book "The Screaming Staircase")

14. "The Accidental Highwayman" by Ben Tripp

15. "I Am Not a Serial Killer" by Dan Wells

16. "Leviathan" by Scott Westerfeld (the start of a complete trilogy)

17. "Larklight" by Phillip Reeve (also the start of a complete trilogy)

18. The Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy

1 hour ago, Sunbird said:

3. The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima, first book "The Demon King."

One of my friends recommeded that one for me. I'll see if I can find it.

1 hour ago, Sunbird said:

16. "Leviathan" by Scott Westerfeld (the start of a complete trilogy)

Read it already.

@Darkness Ascendant I've read Worm already and it was so good. Also Kingkiller Chronicles.