What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

......So....... I may or may not have stayed up late the past three or four nights reading the five released books in the I am not a Serial Killer series by Dan Wells. 

Holy storms they are good. I mean, I know in a way they're kinda teen books, but storms, they are far bloodier than the messiest of Sanderson and creepy as braize. I've never been as scared of a character in a book as I was of John in the first two books. 

Umm, so yeah, I'll be getting back to Pratchett now that I've completed my detour. 

18 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Been reading Order 66, one of the new Star Wars books (the new canon ones), and it's good so far. Lots of tie-ins to the Clone Wars cartoon.

I just can't bring myself to pick up any of the new stuff. I've become a snooty film only fan I used to despise so much and I don't like it! I think if I can refrain from giving in with new Thrawn I will remain so but that will be a big test for me.

22 minutes ago, Briar King said:

I just can't bring myself to pick up any of the new stuff. I've become a snooty film only fan I used to despise so much and I don't like it! I think if I can refrain from giving in with new Thrawn I will remain so but that will be a big test for me.

Is there anything wrong with the new Thrawn? I haven't watched Star Wars cartoons in a Really long time, so i have no idea what he's like in Rebels. I loved him in the Zahn books, so I've been really excited hoping that he might make it all the way to film. 

45 minutes ago, LeftVash said:

Is there anything wrong with the new Thrawn? I haven't watched Star Wars cartoons in a Really long time, so i have no idea what he's like in Rebels. I loved him in the Zahn books, so I've been really excited hoping that he might make it all the way to film. 

He is fairly accurate baring one emo physical outburst on a junior officer. Thrawn in bks is always calm and collected no matter what so I wasn't a fan of that part one bit. Look wise I have some complaints: he wears red eyeliner on the under lid which is strange as hell. His eyes themselves are wrong as Chiss have solid red GLOWING eyes. His don't glow, they're just red and he has black pupils. I don't understand this since it's a Chiss traight and cause Cad Bane had the red glowing eyes of Duros in CW so why not Thrawn? His voice is nice as is his posture. So other then eyes and that outburst I'm happy with so far.

i meant the new Thrawn bk Zhan is writing though. Lol

Edited by Briar King

6 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Finished day 2 of the Kingkiller Chronicles. I am pretty impressed. Now I'm sad though, cause I found out book 3 is nowhere in sight and it's like a race between Rothfuss and Martin to see who can take the longest time to write a sequel to a 2011 book. 

Yep and don't expect any kind of update. He caught heat for taking longer than he said he would releasing the second book and vowed to not update fans at all. I honestly do not see how he will wrap it up in one more book regardless so have little confidence the next book will be the last. 

i've read both King Killer chronicle books at least 4 times now. Rothfuss and Brandon are tied for me. Today I started the audiobook for Name of the Wind. Woah. Nick Pohdel absolutely killed it, every character as a unique voice and he's wonderful at expressing the powerful sentences Rothfuss creates. I got a whole new perspective on the books by listening to it. I highly recommend listening to the series AFTER you've read it.

As for actually reading, I just finished Broken-Eye in Brent Weeks Lightbringer series. I'm about to start on Blood Mirror when I got pick it up From B&N tomorrow. The series at number three for me right now next to SA and KKC. Kip is hilarious and one of my favorite characters in any series, his character development is awesome.  

2 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

@KereDerek

I really enjoyed the aidiobooks as well. My favorite voice of the series is the one he chose for the Cthaeh in book two. I've never actually read the series...perhaps I will if Doors of Stone ever gets released.

Yeah, if I would have known Rothfuss is another RR Martin, I would have waited for Doors of Stone as well haha. But on the other had, the language of the books are soo good, that every time I read it, I pick up new things or things start to fit together and things become more obvious. Overall, I'm glad I read em. 

My favorite part in the Audiobooks is tie between his entire experience in the fae, and also when Master of the Sword Tree(not Vashet, the other one) tells Kvothe the tail of the Chandrian.  

@KereDerek My favorite parts are the University sections. I like Rothfuss and Martin, but the author (that takes forever to publish) that I am really waiting for is Scott Lynch. The Thorn of Emberlain was supposed to be published in 2014...sigh I cant get to upset though; there are lots of amazing authors that are far more dependable about releasing books.

22 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

@KereDerek My favorite parts are the University sections. I like Rothfuss and Martin, but the author (that takes forever to publish) that I am really waiting for is Scott Lynch. The Thorn of Emberlain was supposed to be published in 2014...sigh I cant get to upset though; there are lots of amazing authors that are far more dependable about releasing books.

Tis how I feel. Also another downside to Rothfuss, the main reason why I like Brandon more, is that he seems to alienate his fans. Where as brandon deeply cares about his fan base, and has been them an integral part of his career, more so than any other author I know of. 

Yeah the University scenes are cool, especially the admission scenes and when Kvothe goes on the horns.

To pass the time waiting for book three to come out from both Brandon and Rothfuss, I've gotten into Weeks, Anthony Ryan, and Brian Stavely. I throughly enjoyed Brian Stavely's Unhewn Throne trilogy. Suuuuper Grimdark, but I think that what makes the story work. Its no holds bar the entire time. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it along with Anthony Ryans Raven trilogy.  

Just started Brent Weeks' "Night Angel" series, enjoying it so far. He seems to be a good writer, so as long as the plot continues to hold up, it'll be a great read.

Still haven't finished Order 66, and it needs to go back to the library. Either I'll blitz through it (I read fast), or I'll just pick it up again another time.

So I finished Blood Mirror and it was good but probably my least favorite so far. Mainly the ending but I guess that is to be expected since this appears to really be a "part 1" of the final book. Now I am eagerly the final (or is it) book!  

After Lightbringer thought I needed a break from Fantasy so I started Crusade by David Weber. So far really liking it. 

On 1/22/2017 at 1:54 AM, Jondesu said:

Just started Brent Weeks' "Night Angel" series, enjoying it so far. He seems to be a good writer, so as long as the plot continues to hold up, it'll be a great read.

Hey, I started Night Angel pretty recently too. I'm on audiobook while walking to classes and such, but I am enjoying it a lot so far. Definitely darker than most of what I've read. I read what is out of the lightbringer series last semester and enjoyed those a lot, waiting for the next one not so patiently.

My bedtime audiobook listening is 15 minutes of Wheel of Time though, I like something familiar when I'm trying to sleep -- it helps me calm down. It may take me a while to get through the series at that rate. We'll see how long I last before binging it at double speed all day, haha.

33 minutes ago, lyssie95 said:

My bedtime audiobook listening is 15 minutes of Wheel of Time though, I like something familiar when I'm trying to sleep -- it helps me calm down. It may take me a while to get through the series at that rate. We'll see how long I last before binging it at double speed all day, haha.

If my math is correct it is roughly 450 hours of narration so 27,000 minutes at 15 minutes a day it will only take you 1,800 days to complete the series. 

17 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

If my math is correct it is roughly 450 hours of narration so 27,000 minutes at 15 minutes a day it will only take you 1,800 days to complete the series. 

Yeah, but occasionally I rewind because I fell asleep before the 15 minute timer turned it off. It could easily take 2,500 days to complete if I completely restricted it to bedtime listening. I'd definitely finish my undergrad (I'm partway through now) and possibly a graduate degree before finishing WOT.

I finished reading the Powder Mage trilogy. Despite my issues with Kae-Poel's character, I thoroughly enjoyed my read and what an ending! It was both sad, happy, bittersweet, it offered closure while staying open enough for the sequel, so all in all, it was very good work for a first trilogy written by a rather young author. I'll definitely be reading the short novella and the upcoming trilogy. I hope to hear more about Beon, he caught my attention.

In the meantime, I felt I needed to take a break from this world to move back to our beloved Brandon Sanderson. I have thus picked up Elantris, which I had never gotten around to read, probably due to the negative critics it tends to gather. However, my first impressions are extremely positive. While I can acknowledge Brandon's writing skills have tremendously improved since this first book, after just two chapters, I am actually quite interested within the story. It sounds rather cute... so I do believe I will love this book, more so it is my only signed book :)