What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

1 hour ago, Zathoth said:

Done with City of Stairs

Read it.

I have and loved it! City of Blades is also very good (still give the edge to the first one though). I've already preordered the concluding book, City of Miracles, which I think comes out in May.

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

I have and loved it! City of Blades is also very good (still give the edge to the first one though). I've already preordered the concluding book, City of Miracles, which I think comes out in May.

I will definitely read the sequels, and then hunt down everything else he has written.

My top reads for 2016 (obviously excluding Sanderson's ones)

1. Hyperion Cantos (all four, but to say that the latter two are a bit worse is an understatement) by Dan Simmons

2. The Fifth Season and The Obelisk Gate (Broken Earth trilogy) by NK Jemisin

3. The Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman

4. The Traitor Baru Comorant by Seth Dickinson 

5. The Dagger and Coin Series by Daniel Abraham

7. The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abrham

8.  Solaris by Stanislaw Lem 

9. The Killing Moon by NK Jemisin

10. The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov

Honourable Mentions: Flowers for Algernon, Nightfall, Roadside Picnic, The Amber Chronicles, Fevre Dream, Shattered Sigil Trilogy.

There were other books I didn't like but I haven't mentioned them here. 

10 hours ago, Briar King said:

Ok it's been a long time since I read Elantris. Where are the light ball things in Emp Soul? Are they only around the city state? How far away is the city from the Empire in this? I see that Sel is actually pretty dang large of a planet. A map of Emp woulda been cool.

I'm quoting this so someone more knowledgeable can respond as to why the Seons aren't around in Emperor's Soul.

Here are the maps in the Elantris anniversary edition, which includes a map of surrounding countries.  I believe the inaccurate section in the Northwest (Rose "Barbarians") is where Emperor's Soul takes place. d59b728a82b644ece79ad4a47a6e7389.jpg 

Edited by Who Sharded?

I am reading Crimson Campaign and I am still enjoying my read of the Powder Mage trilogy.

So far, I am enjoying all story arcs, even if I wish Nila had a bigger one. I have mellowed with Tamas as it turned out he has a softer side, even if it takes a lot to steer it out.

Spoiler

I have to say though, the Taniel/Ka-Poel love story is irking me to no end. Really. Now that I think of it, it might be Ka-Poel's entire character which irks me to no end as she does seem as a Deus Ex Machina walking device. She doesn't talk, so you never really know what she is doing/thinking. She is presented as a small teenager, but turns out she is a grown woman (!) and she has magic which is so powerful even Gods fear her, though we never get to truly ever comprehend how it is to be so. She is just around to wrap Taniel in sorcery making sure he survives when he should have died and/or to kill whichever foe they are faced with just because turns out this is how powerful she is... And now turns out he loves her and she loves him. Huh? I would have rather have him still pinning on Vlora which I find more interesting than Ka-Poel, despite her lack of exposure.

Still, despite this, I am still enjoying Taniel's character, though I sincerely hope all the angst not to forget his habit to get addicted to all available drugs

Spoiler

will pan out into a satisfactory reunion with his father.

I'd wish Vlora had viewpoints. I would love to read her.

15 minutes ago, Briar King said:

is Gemell mentioned in Mistborn?

Yeah, I think even by name, but I can't remember exactly. I think he's only mentioned in Kelsier's thoughts, but Kelsier might have mentioned him aloud to Vin when they start training. It's nothing major; he's just the not-quite-sane Mistborn who trained Kelsier (though he was under Ruin's influence, so there is some significance there).

Scion of Cyador, a novel of Recluse by Modesitt. I've never been a fan of the Recluse books, and the previous books in the series haven't given me any reason not to be. This one is remarkably good though, it's better than the first Corean trilogy and probably on par with many of the Imager books. I'll be interested to see if I can find other books in the series that this good. 

Waiting on my shelf is The Last Continent, the final book in the Wizard's subseries of the Discworld, and the final Discworld novel in my great Discworld adventure. 

On my radar: I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells- I've heard a lot about Wells and the synopsis sounds interesting-, The Fifth Season- which has been mentioned a lot on here-, and I'm thinking about reading Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy. I enjoyed what I read of the Lightbringer series, but the increasing frequency of the language made me stop before finishing book two. 

19 hours ago, Zathoth said:

I will definitely read the sequels, and then hunt down everything else he has written.

As much as I love the way he writes, the plots of his books (outside of the trilogy we have been discussing) do not interest me. If you read one, and love it, I might have to give it a try...the City of Stairs trilogy is a pretty big departure from his other books.

Edited by Ammanas

46 minutes ago, Briar King said:

@LeftVash you don't like cursing? There is a bit more in bk 4.

finished 11th Medal. Indeed it says Gemmel was in bk1. Onto Allomancer Jack now

Not really, that's why I've put down the Lightbtinger series and the Dresden files etc. I live with it in real life, but I prefer my entertainment to be less harsh when possible. 

I had a fun weekend finishing Scion of Cyador and then reading all of I am not a Serial Killer. Scion of Cyador was definitely the best Recluse book I've read, and had a solid ending. It kind of tried to have a Sanderlanche( Sanderson's mindblowing and epic avalanche endings) but wasn't fast paced enough to make it work. Still pretty good, and I think I'll continue reading the Cyador based books.

I am not a Serial Killer was amazing, and almost as soon as I finished I requested the entire series from the library. Very well constructed, very good prose, fantastic characters, wonderfully solid understanding of psychology, and I assume that the criminology was on point but I don't know much about the field.  Can't wait to read Mr. Monster. 

I started Terry Pratchett's The Last Continent last night. I'm really sad this is the last one for me to read....It's been such a good trip. I guess I could read the Tiffany Aching books if I really wanted more discworld, but.... sigh. RIP Terry. 

9 hours ago, LeftVash said:

I started Terry Pratchett's The Last Continent last night. I'm really sad this is the last one for me to read....It's been such a good trip. I guess I could read the Tiffany Aching books if I really wanted more discworld, but.... sigh. RIP Terry. 

The Tiffany Aching books are pretty good, though I suspect they might get a bit repetitive if you read them all back to back to back.  I read them interspersed within a full discworld read-through by publishing order, so there was a gap between them with other books, and I liked them well enough.

Ok so finished Silence a few days ago. I really liked this BUT I think I did mostly because it nice and short. BS says we may get more of this world later but if so I do hope it's novella only. I just don't think this world has enough meat on it to fill out a bk or 3 atm. theres no typical BS magic system in this one and it was strange. Though all that atleast not in her time...the summary of system def has something big going on in the past.

reading Dusk now. I'm finding this one really interesting so far.

Finished The Broken Eye. Really really liking this series. Going to take me a little bit to digest the events at the ending. A little bit of a double edged blade because after The Blood Mirror I will be waiting for the last book just like everyone else. I almost wanted to wait to read The Blood Mirror for a little while but I don't have the WILLpower (see what I did there?) to wait.