What Are You Listening To Now?

Chaos

On 8/12/2018 at 10:54 AM, StrikerEZ said:

I've been listening to the recording of the most recent runthrough of my marching band's opener to our show this year over and over again. It's soooooo good. It's got some of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and also Bjork's The Firebird. I'm so excited for our show this year.

So, I was actually incorrect. The Firebird is actually another work of Stravinsky's, and we're using some music from the soundtrack to Dancer in the Dark, which Björk composed.

9 hours ago, Life&Death said:

Mostly a cappella stuff - like Pentatonix, Peter Hollens, and Home Free - string music - like Lindsey Stirling, Piano guys, and 2cellos - with some Imagine Dragons and musicals - like Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, and Be More Chill - thrown in.

Phantom of the Opera is great. I play some of the pieces on the piano.

Do you know the musical Dance of the vampire? Or Cats?

11 minutes ago, Life&Death said:

I do know Cats, but not Dance of the Vampire. Is it good?

I was really impressed. The had great actors (singers and dancers alike), and the scenery (I'm not sure if that's the right word - I mean the stuff they put on stage and can move around, according to google it's right though) was beautiful and really complex. I saw it live last year and I like it so much, that I went another time, just to see it again.

I especially liked these songs:
Confessions of a vampire
Original Sin
Finale (Starts at 1:37)
Carpe Noctum

The first two are the ballads of the main antagonist/ protagonist (the vampire) sung by Steve Barton. The Finale is the wohle choir, Carpe Noctum is a part of the choir together with the other male main protagonist. And I looked for the english version of the songs, just ignore some of the pictures.

Edited by Sorana

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to two new albums coming out on Friday, from rather different bands.

1) Emily Davis and the Murder Police.  That's not my favorite name for a band (it's apparently inspired by a stand-up comic's routine), but their first album Same Old World might be my favorite of 2018.  I got an advance digital copy as thanks for contributing to the Kickstarter fundraiser the band ran in order to produce the album, and I've been playing it a lot.  To be honest I wasn't expecting all that much from a kickstarted album (I just contributed to support the creator of the fun punk song acoustic covers I sometimes listen to), so I'm very pleasantly surprised.  They describe themselves as "alternative rock splashed with folk & punk", which is better than any other description I've been able to think of.  A video for the first track came out a few days ago.

2) Ska-P (pronounced, I believe, kinda like 'escapade' without the 'd').  My favorite Spanish ska punk band seems to be establishing a pattern of a new album every five years or so (2002, 2008, 2013, 2018), with an indefinite hiatus every ten (2005, 2014).  I'm especially excited because their 2013 album 99% passed me by.  (For some reason only a couple of tracks from that album are on Spotify, and I only see the physical CD on Amazon.  I'm sure it's on The Pirate Bay or even just Youtube, but those aren't places I go to keep an eye out for new releases.)  While I don't yet have a copy of the new album Game Over, I've been listening to the lead single, Jaque al Rey (which I would translate as "put the king in check").  Even though the video at the end of that link is more polished than I'm used to for Ska-P, and the gang is noticeably grayer than back in '02, the song itself still carries a fun kick.  I'm hoping the rest of the album will measure up.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

At the time of this post.

Rad, that's a great song!

I was listening to some more songs by The Score, their song Unstoppable sounds a lot like an amazing remix of the song American Woman by David Lynch for Twin Peaks the Return, (originally by the Muddy Magnolias):

*EDIT*

I got my daughter to listen to The Score's Revolution by telling her there was a Night Corp version of it (which is actually really good, slightly sped up with an anime video bg).

Ok, I am actually listening mostly to one of my favorite bands of ALL TIMES, the CAPS LOCKS, just kidding, but they are SO GOOD, for real (they actually even have an amazing song called For Real).

Okkervil River, oh they are so good. Here are some links to some of my favorite of their songs:

1) Lost Coastlines (this song is so freaking amazing)
2) Okkervil River Song (so good, so good. If I had to listen to a single song on infinite repeat, it would be this song)
3) It Ends With a Fall (if I could have a second song on infinite the repeat playlist, it would be this one)
4) The Velocity of Saul at the Time of his Conversion (Live version, featuring a fully clothed stand up bass, SO GOOD).
5). Kansas City (the first song I heard from Okkervil River, they were opening for the Decembrists at the Crystal Ballroom, and you know what, they were WAY BETTER than the Decemberists).

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine
Adding something not Arthouse intellectual (or wait, is it even more arthouse intellectual?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Prophet Qa-Sepel is coming to town...

I just bought a ticket for a Legendary Pink Dots show in a couple of weeks, which will be my first time seeing them live.  While I'm not entirely sure what to expect, this upcoming event has motivated me to start revisiting some of their vast catalog.  I could probably spend the entire next two weeks listening to their recordings and still not get through them all, but I expect to focus on my favorites, especially The Maria Dimension, Crushed Velvet Apocalypse and The Golden Age.

Dragons walked the earth again and paraffin was free
A fire-eater went insane and torched the final tree
And one fine day the planet crumbled just 'cause someone sneezed
For this, for this, we waited just a lifetime

Edit to add: I discovered that Amanda Palmer has created a Spotify playlist of 30 of her favorite Legendary Pink Dots / Ka-Spel songs.  I'll be listening to that tomorrow.  (Palmer has many claims to fame, but perhaps most on these forums may be more familiar with her husband, Neil Gaiman.)

Edited by daschaich
Add a PS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...