What Are You Listening To Now?

Chaos

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Levellers were one of my favorite bands roughly 15 years ago, but I've been drifting away from them for a while, especially over the past five years or so as they put out a faintly ridiculous series of live albums and reissues.  At first glance, I thought their recent 30th-anniversary album We The Collective was more of the same, but when I gave it a listen on Spotify today it turned out to feature really fresh acoustic/orchestral re-imaginings of a regrettably small number of their past singles.  Not only am I enjoying the new takes, I'm also revisiting a lot of their back catalog that I haven't listened to in a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 8:03 AM, Servillius said:

Maybe destiny calls for you to listen to it again.

Oh, I did after you mentioned it just to confirm it was the song I thought it was.I also learned it was written and sung by Bob Geldof (I would know him as playing Pink in the movie The Wall).

As for what I'm listening to now? A whole lot of Bob Dylan. 

I took a few days off while I was back in the US this week, during which I confirmed that New Model Army remains my favorite band.  In particular, I finally had a chance to read along with the lyrics for their latest (2016) album, Winter.  NMA's lyrics are one of my favorite aspects of their work, and now I'm resisting the urge to quote an excessive amount of them in an excessive number of places.

We all find ways to live with ourselves
To pretend we're moving on
For if our eyes got used to the darkness
We'd see the damage that we've done

I felt them tugging at my shoulder to come and join the celebrations
To mark the triumph of the Emperor, the all-conquering everlasting summer
And the streets were awash with the blood of the innocents, sacrificed to slaughter
The crowds all drunk on power and madness as the noise grew ever louder
And I could hear the knives being sharpened and I wished that it was over
Bring me the snowfall, bring me the cold wind, bring me the winter

The stars that we are following are
The ones that move in circles around the sky

PS. My current profile pic is the celtic knot featured on the cover of NMA's 1989 album Thunder and Consolation.

Edited by daschaich
Add a PS

New music from my favorite band! Their new album (still <_<) isn't out yet, but they're streaming five songs from it over the weekend. Pretty excited for the album, whenever it comes out! :D 

Edited by Slowswift
I should probably mention that the band's name is Collective Soul. XD

On 5.8.2018 at 5:22 AM, Slowswift said:

New music from my favorite band! Their new album (still <_<) isn't out yet, but they're streaming five songs from it over the weekend. Pretty excited for the album, whenever it comes out! :D 

Which is your favourite band?

On 8/7/2018 at 0:14 PM, Sorana said:

Which is your favourite band?

Collective Soul! They've been one of my favorites since I was born, pretty much. They've been going for a little over 20 years and this'll be their tenth album (or more, depending on how you count). :D 

Edited by Slowswift

4 hours ago, Slowswift said:

Collective Soul! They've been one of my favorites since I was born, pretty much. They've been going for a little over 20 years and this'll be their tenth album (or more, depending on how you count). :D 

Can you recommend a few songs? I looked them up on Youtube, and their not 100% my favourite kind of music, but their not that far away either and I'd like to listen to some of their songs.

23 hours ago, Sorana said:

Can you recommend a few songs? I looked them up on Youtube, and their not 100% my favourite kind of music, but their not that far away either and I'd like to listen to some of their songs.

Sure!

...actually, trying to narrow this down is a lot harder than I thought. :P May I ask, would you be more interested in "heavy" or mellow songs, or a little of both?

Just now, Slowswift said:

Sure!

...actually, trying to narrow this down is a lot harder than I thought. :P May I ask, would you be more interested in "heavy" or mellow songs, or a little of both?

Good question: Atm I'm listening a lot to Manowar, Sabaton, Nightwish, Powerwolf and Epica. Sometimes I listen to another band more, but in general, that's the kind of music I prefered over the last years.
So I think "heavy" would fit me better, but I also would like to listen to a mellow one. I'm relatively open, as long as the quality of the music is high (and I got that impression when I looked them up).

11 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Good question: Atm I'm listening a lot to Manowar, Sabaton, Nightwish, Powerwolf and Epica. Sometimes I listen to another band more, but in general, that's the kind of music I prefered over the last years.
So I think "heavy" would fit me better, but I also would like to listen to a mellow one. I'm relatively open, as long as the quality of the music is high (and I got that impression when I looked them up).

Cool. :D 

On the heavier side, there's the aptly-named Heavy, as well as Why, Pt. 2 (don't ask about part 1. I don't know what happened to it either. :PPrecious Declaration is one of my personal favorites. On the grungier side, there's She Gathers Rain and Untitled Track.

Kinda in-between (rock-y, but not too heavy) is Shine, easily their most famous. Listen is a good one. There's also Him, AYTA, Hurricane, and December.

For some more mellow choices, we have Maybe, Compliment (live version's the best -- they performed with a full orchestra a few years back, and it's glorious), She Said, Needs, and The World I Know.

Hope I haven't gone too overboard. :P Let me know what you think! And no pressure to listen to every single one if you don't want to. ;)

Edited by Slowswift

@Slowswift

Thanks a lot! Don't worry, I didn't feel pressured. You sound so excited, that's great!

When I listened to them I immediatly saw myself sitting outside on the terrace with a glas of wine, relaxing. Don't ask me why. Their music is definitly "softer" (no negative feelings here) than what I usually listen to. I love his voice and each song had something unique, with a lot of different elements combined creating a piece of art. I liked that a lot.

I liked Heavy and Why PT. 2 (no surprise here). Him and Hurrican also had something to them that grabbed my attention. She gathers rain, Untitled Track and precious declaration are also part of the crew that joined one of my  Spotify Playlists.

The more mellow ones were a bit to slow and calm for my taste. But I have to admit that I was pretty excited while listening to the songs, and that simply wasn't the right mood for them.

And then there was one title that flashed me totally and I listened to it several times. AYTA. Something about the chorus and the words and the melody, I couldn't get it out of my head and I had to show it to my best friend. That song definitly hit a nerve.

To sum up: Good that I asked what band you were talking about! They are definitly more visitor friendly than my usual choices and I added them to some of our playlists. AYTA is still crawling around in my head and I like it there. I don't think I will listen to them on a daily basis, but I will definitly look through their other songs. You can consider me convinced. ;)

17 hours ago, Sorana said:

@Slowswift

Thanks a lot! Don't worry, I didn't feel pressured. You sound so excited, that's great!

When I listened to them I immediatly saw myself sitting outside on the terrace with a glas of wine, relaxing. Don't ask me why. Their music is definitly "softer" (no negative feelings here) than what I usually listen to. I love his voice and each song had something unique, with a lot of different elements combined creating a piece of art. I liked that a lot.

I liked Heavy and Why PT. 2 (no surprise here). Him and Hurrican also had something to them that grabbed my attention. She gathers rain, Untitled Track and precious declaration are also part of the crew that joined one of my  Spotify Playlists.

The more mellow ones were a bit to slow and calm for my taste. But I have to admit that I was pretty excited while listening to the songs, and that simply wasn't the right mood for them.

And then there was one title that flashed me totally and I listened to it several times. AYTA. Something about the chorus and the words and the melody, I couldn't get it out of my head and I had to show it to my best friend. That song definitly hit a nerve.

To sum up: Good that I asked what band you were talking about! They are definitly more visitor friendly than my usual choices and I added them to some of our playlists. AYTA is still crawling around in my head and I like it there. I don't think I will listen to them on a daily basis, but I will definitly look through their other songs. You can consider me convinced. ;)

Yay! :D AYTA is indeed one of the best, and I'm glad you liked them enough to put some on your playlists! ^_^ 

I've been listening to the recording of the most recent runthrough of my marching band's opener to our show this year over and over again. It's soooooo good. It's got some of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring and also Bjork's The Firebird. I'm so excited for our show this year.

Edited by StrikerEZ

@Slowswift

Just a short update: I can't get them all out of my head. Their music really hit a nerve. At the moment precious declaration lives in my head 24/7. It's been a while since a band captured me so completely. Especially one, that's a bit outside of my usual radar. I really have to thank you for that!

6 hours ago, Sorana said:

@Slowswift

Just a short update: I can't get them all out of my head. Their music really hit a nerve. At the moment precious declaration lives in my head 24/7. It's been a while since a band captured me so completely. Especially one, that's a bit outside of my usual radar. I really have to thank you for that!

:D <-- accurate representation of my face right now.

That's cool! I'm really glad you like them. ^_^ 

Mostly a cappella stuff - like Pentatonix, Peter Hollens, and Home Free - string music - like Lindsey Stirling, Piano guys, and 2cellos - with some Imagine Dragons and musicals - like Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, and Be More Chill - thrown in.