Vasher can surgebind?

Blightsong

I was thinking about the interchangeability between breaths and stormlight and had a pretty big epiphany.

Since it has been basically confirmed by WoB that Vasher is on Roshar because it is easier to get the investiture he needs to live, wouldn't he need to be able to draw in stormlight and take it in as he would breath? If so does he have a nahel bond? An honorblade? Has he figured out a way to hold stormlight other than the two ways we know of?

I am positive that breaths were able to be passed between people fairly easily is because of the shard involved, Endowment, so I think something g similar wouldn't be possible on Roshar, making Surgebinding or an honorblade the most obvious way for him to live under the circumstance of a Returned

I'm not so sure. Vasher left Nalthis for the guilt-free existence of inhaling Stormlight over constantly devouring large chunks of people's soul, but he's an ardent---a slave-priest, basically. Nobody does that on a whim, and Nalthis has a very different opinion on divinity. In my opinion, part of the reason Vasher left Nalthis is something horrible happened to Vivenna, and being an ardent is his way of punishing himself. Deep depression does not exactly lend itself well to heroics.

My desire is to see Vasher stick with BioChromatic Breath, for the simple reason nobody on Roshar is prepared for such a thing. It adds a seriously exotic vibe to an already evocative setting and allows Mr. Sanderson more opportunities to flesh out Nalthian magic.

However...

...he probably does have some extent of Surgebinding. If there's one thing Vasher excels at it is doing the "right" thing, no matter the cost to himself. That has got to attract some sort of spren...

Edited by Sol Invictus

Keep in mind that a Nahel Bond is making sDNA changes that allow a person to absorb/use Investiture. It's entirely possible that his Returned sDNA already encodes for a general type of Investiture absorbtion rather than specifically allowing Breath

So Brandon has been asked about Returned forming Nahel bonds, and while it's technically possible it's incredibly difficult:

Argent

Can a Returned like Lightsong go to Roshar and form a bond with a spren?

Brandon Sanderson

Investiture interferes with other Investiture.

Argent

And they have a lot of it.

Brandon Sanderson

And they have a lot of it. That is not-- It's not completely-- For instance you can Push on Invested metal, but it's hard. There's a resistance, the more Invested the harder-- So a bond for instance-- forming a bond-- It's, yeah-- It can be done--

I mean Sazed took two of the powers up, right? But I kind of imagine what he did as a nuclear reaction. Where breaking an atom is hard, unless you are in the middle of a sun. And he was in the middle of the sun. At that point--

Argent

There was a lot of stuff going on around him that facilitated.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, definitely. But when you've got that much power you'll-- In other words if there is a lot of power going around, these things become easier.

Argent

So, possible but difficult is--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

(source)

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he is using a mechanism that we have not been exposed to yet.

So Brandon has been asked about Returned forming Nahel bonds, and while it's technically possible it's incredibly difficult:

(source)

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he is using a mechanism that we have not been exposed to yet.

I agree, I have seen no talk about what he does to absorb the stormlight and it is so blantantly obvious that he does it somehow... I'll need some WoB on what Vasher does, I'm hyped for him to be back in my area in 2016.

I cannot tell you how amp'd I would be if, in order to save someone depsartely in need from Team Heroes, if Vasher sucks down some stormlight and then awakens and fights to save them. Imagine him trying to explain that to Dalinar or Kaladin or anyone else...

"Yeah, I'm from a different planet, different magics. I'm not a Herald, promise. Oops, I didn't mean to get all big and glowy like that... *shrinks form back* seriously, not a herald or anything, just a god from a different planet."

• Chaos locked this topic