Ask NavyBrandt Anything

navybrandt

The first part is "Navy"

I was a Nuclear Engineering Technician in the US Navy for 14 years and that became part of my user name and e-mail address. Even though I'm not in the Navy any more I still build Aircraft Carriers and am testing a propulsion control system for the new Ford-class CVN. By the way, CVN stand for Nuclear Carrier Vessel.

The second part is "Brandt"

It is my actual given first name. This sounds just like Brant as the 'd' is silent. It's like Rembrandt (without the "Rem" part). It's a bit unusual but my parents were nontraditional. It was either going to be Brandt or Egor. :) I'm a bit bitter that Brandt never shows up on the "Share a Coke" cans.

I'd be glad to discuss my time in the Navy. PM away. I was on the enlisted side of things from junior to senior levels.

My point of view will be very slanted though. I was a nuke, and the nuclear Navy is very different than the "topside" Navy. We followed different rules and were treated very differently than a "regular" Navy sailor. For example, we had a very different type of watch rotation and duty day cycle (much more demanding). We worked longer hours and had much more training than anyone else in the Navy (or any other branch of the military too). Our work didn't stop in port either (like it did for some topsiders) as that was the only time we could do most of our maintenance. On a positive note, some of the rules such as physical fitness were overlooked when it came to nukes. We also got a bunch of extra pay allowances and bonuses. This sounds condescending, but we had much higher mental requirements and were, on average, much smarter than other sailors. We knew it too and weren't shy about it and as such many sailors hate nukes.

I also have to be very careful what I discuss as everything about my job was classified. Ask whatever you want and I'll let you know what is specific to the nuclear Navy and what I'll have to keep to myself. If your fantasy is based on an Aircraft Carrier engine room "snipe" I can provide some good insight.

A good article about why we're called snipes and why the nuclear navy is separate from the topside navy is this:

http://navyformoms.com/group/snipemomsenginers/forum/topics/1971797:Topic:255527

You also need to watch the Rickover documentary to get a good understanding of the attitude of all nukes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BE6ybK4Io4

Not sure if the youtube video works as I can't play it at work. It's worth the money if you buy it, which you can do here:

http://www.pbs.org/program/rickover-birth-nuclear-power/

Edited by navybrandt