Dawnsingers, Dawnshards and Dawncities

Beowulf25

Just came up with this theory after rereading WoK. Apologies if this has already been proposed elsewhere.

I believe that the "Tranquiline Halls" refers to a period of peace and tranquility that existed on Roshar before the coming of Odium, when only Honor and Cultivation influenced the people.  I surmise that, at that time, humanity existed in a state of innocence, kind of like Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.  

When Odium arrived, however, everyone was exposed to new thoughts and feelings.  They suddenly understood basic concepts like the difference between good and evil.  These new thoughts gave rise to new spren.  These new spren, the Dawnsingers, were extremely powerful because they were so fundamental.  Also, because they were so basic, they could be bonded to anyone.  

"the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal," Epigraph Ch. 36 WoK

When they were bonded they became the Dawnshards and gave access to surges that could be used to, among other things, carve out the Dawncities.  But, when bonded by a voidish individual that same power could be used to create the Shattered Plains.

Edited by Beowulf25

I believe Roshar is Honour's shardworld.

The Tranquiline Halls are a place I think, not a time period. Didn't the Heralds return there between Desolations?

They returned to a place of fire and hooks digging into their skin, which is referred to as Damnation in modern speech, which is probably the planet Braize.

Shardworlds aren't "owned" by shards. Yes, in mistborn

Ruin and Preservation created Scadrial, or at least all life on it

But Roshar seems to be from the times of Adonalsium Himself, and we have no clue about the other worlds.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

If i can find the relevant WoBs, I think it was confirmed that Humanity underwent an exodus from the 'Tranquiline Halls' to Roshar which existed before Roshar methinks. We're not quite sure what the Dawnsingers are yet, but my bet is on a group Parshendi that have merged with Adonalsium-splinter spren or these same spren being bonded with Humans in a Nahel-esque way which led to Humanity living in relative peace and prosperity (Dawncities) for a time until the Parshendi started following Odium's path. 

If i can find the relevant WoBs, I think it was confirmed that Humanity underwent an exodus from the 'Tranquiline Halls' to Roshar which existed before Roshar methinks.

I don't know if there is a WOB, but this is Vorin theology.

Just came up with this theory after rereading WoK. Apologies if this has already been proposed elsewhere.

I believe that the "Tranquiline Halls" refers to a period of peace and tranquility that existed on Roshar before the coming of Odium, when only Honor and Cultivation influenced the people.  I surmise that, at that time, humanity existed in a state of innocence, kind of like Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.  

When Odium arrived, however, everyone was exposed to new thoughts and feelings.  They suddenly understood basic concepts like the difference between good and evil.  These new thoughts gave rise to new spren.  These new spren, the Dawnsingers, were extremely powerful because they were so fundamental.  Also, because they were so basic, they could be bonded to anyone.  

"the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal," Epigraph Ch. 36 WoK

When they were bonded they became the Dawnshards and gave access to surges that could be used to, among other things, carve out the Dawncities.  But, when bonded by a voidish individual that same power could be used to create the Shattered Plains.

There's a very big difference between the word "bind" and the word "bond."  Even though they are similar and can refer to the same thing, I can't think of a single instance where the act of Bonding a spren or a Shard is referred to as Binding it--across any of the cosmere novels.  So, that makes me think that here, binding means something very, very different indeed.

Short answer: I think the Dawnshards were used to imprison (bind) voidspren.  Or possibly the Heralds (a prison's caged bars can be as much protection as confinement, after all).  So, based on nothing more than semantics, I disagree with you.  Yay...?

If i can find the relevant WoBs, I think it was confirmed that Humanity underwent an exodus from the 'Tranquiline Halls' to Roshar which existed before Roshar methinks. We're not quite sure what the Dawnsingers are yet, but my bet is on a group Parshendi that have merged with Adonalsium-splinter spren or these same spren being bonded with Humans in a Nahel-esque way which led to Humanity living in relative peace and prosperity (Dawncities) for a time until the Parshendi started following Odium's path. 

There's definitely WoB that Honor, Cultivation, and humans predate Odium.  I'm certain that there's a WoB that there is a reason why the Vorin mythology developed the way it did (regarding the Tranquiline Halls and fleeing to Roshar bit specifically.)  And I'm pretty sure that there's a WoB that the parshmen were on Roshar first.

And, unhelpfully, I will not post any of them, because I'm lazy.  Sorry :(

• Chaos locked this topic