Rioters on other worlds..?

Ugouka

So, I may be understanding some things wrong here, but as I see it, a Rioter with the ability to worldhop could be one of the most useful tools ever.

On Sel, inhabitants that feel great devotion are chosen by the Shaod...a rioter could inspire that to essentially pick and choose who became Elantrian. And could a rioter do this to themselves? Riot a sense of home, for lack of a better term, for Elantris to satisfy Dominion's 'requirement' of being a local?

On Roshar, the Spren that came to the physical world seeking a host to bond with were drawn by certain traits. A rioter could riot a sense of honor, devotion, etc. Could a rioted emotion fool a spren long enough to bond?

Can't think of much application on Nalthis other than abusing it to convince people to give you their breath, which, admittedly, would be useful.

Thoughts or corrections? (Sorry if this has already been discussed. I poked around and didn't really see much in this regard. Still new to the forums so I'm not really caught up with "old news")

That's one of the most useful uses for allomancy I've ever seen. I'm not sure if it would work that way on Sel though, I think you have to be born in the right place for the Shaod to take you. As for Nalthis, riot something like nobility, then murder them. Higher chance of them returning maybe?

I think most of the Rioting applications you proposed could work, except for that one part about Rioters turning themselves spiritually Selish. The problem there is that Emotional Allomancers cannot use their powers on themselves.

Anyway, your theory raises the question of whether something like Lightweaving, which can apparently also change someone's personality, can be used in the same manner.

The same goes for Forgery. Can Shai go to Arelon and Forge some guy there into someone who can be chosen by the Shaod? Of course, Shai would have to make sure the Forgery lasts long enough for the Shaod to choose him.

Another question is what would happen once the personality manipulation stops. This leads to more general quesions regarding the Shaod and the Nahel bond: What happens to an Elantrian who suddenly loses his devotion? Would an honorspren bonded to an artificially honor-enhanced person die the moment this artificial enhancement fades? I guess that wouldn't be a problem if the affected person had started to adopt the artificial personality as his own, a sort of metanoia.

Well, for an Elantrian losing the devotion, I don't think that matters much. The Hoed definately didn't have devotion anymore, and they didn't become un-shaod-ified. And I doubt the entire fully realised Elantrian society stayed constantly devoted. The Shaod is, I feel, more like a pat on the back from the remnants of Devotion saying "Hey! Thanks for upholding my intent and stuff. Here you go."

And for the Nahel Bond, I would imagine that without the personality shift like you suggested, yes, the spren would die. I think the big question here is if the spren could actually be tricked well enough to choose a person under a rioter's influence. A crazy combo-thought to consider is what if a forger teamed up with a rioter? The rioter flares the metal, makes Honor the key trait, and the forger prepares a stamp that essentially writes a history for that person where that Honor was natural. I wonder if that would stick at all.

And that makes me think of a forger's use for Sellish magic on a foreigner. Would it be that big of a stretch to stamp someone to adjust the place they were born in their history? Forging is one of those magics I don't understand very well, and I need to go back and reread the book, but I don't think it would be that hard of a stamp compared to rewriting one from scratch. Especially if you had the cooperation of the person you were stamping to fill out details and such.

• Chaos locked this topic