Hemalurgic Spikes

Oudeis

Specifically, Spook's.

What was up with the sword point? When it went through that Thug, it was clearly still an entire sword. So was the whole Sword charged? If so, when just the point broke off in Spook, was his pewter at almost full power? It looked pretty powerful to me. More than the fraction-of-a-sword the point was. Did the whole thing somehow concentrate in the point when it broke? Was Ruin able to do something to concentrate all the charge in a spot? Is the tip of a spike, the first thing through someone, always the bit that charges first?

Could a feruchemist decide where, specifically, in a metalmind to store an attribute? Could Miles have held a bar of gold, filled it specifically from one plane inward, shaved off that one plane, and compounded all his stored health, leaving most of a bar of gold with no feruchemical charge?

Do other things affect it? If a spike or a metalmind (there should be a cool word for a charged spike. Soulbar? Spiritspike? Stitchbit?) is charged but there's still empty "room" in the spike, would some sort of energy field manipulate where in the spike the charge is physically located? A magnetic field, sound, gravity, a steelpush, bronzepulses?

Compared to what he was used to, even a very weak Pewter would make a big difference to Spook.

Also, maybe the tip broke from the sword when it was penetrating the guards ribs, and was then pushed through the guards heart into Spook? That way, the tip was separate from the blade at the moment it was make into a Spike.

My assumption would be that the entire charge in the spike is evenly distributed throughout. Why? If just the tip had most of the charge, then the spikes going through an Inquisitor's eyes would imply that those two spikes are more or less worthless hemalurgically and only for show/intimidation (no matter what the answer is, eye spikes are intimidating!) 

The reason is two fold. First, the spikes extend all the way through the skull out of the eye sockets. Thus if the tip held most of the charge, would the body be able to absorb the charge efficiently if it were extended out of the the body like the eye spikes? My assumption would be no, because a hemalurgic spike doesn't work when it's out of the body or simply being held. It has to pass through or into the body some way to work. Second, we know the eye spikes give the Inquisitors sight through Allomantic iron or steel.  If the tip is the part that is primarily charged, then they'd lose a lot of their ability just for that intimidation factor (assuming they can't use the power if it's out of the body).

From Marsh's perspective alone, his sight proved that he could see the vast majority of the world around him through the metal lines but if the charge of the spike were to not be evenly distributed, then he'd probably need hemalurgic eye glasses of some type to see the world so strongly. (Now I'm imagining an Inquisitor with spectacles!)

Given your first question with regards to Spook...that would imply that the entire sword would be a spike. Not just the tip that broke off into Spook's shoulder. I'm surprised that Ruin didn't use this additional spike somehow because otherwise it'd be a wasted spike!

Compared to what he was used to, even a very weak Pewter would make a big difference to Spook.

However, he didn't have simply "more pewter than before", from an objective measure, he had a LOT of pewter. Enough to leap from tall places, drink all night without getting drunk. This isn't based on Spook's self-assessment, but on an objective measure.

My assumption would be that the entire charge in the spike is evenly distributed throughout. Why? If just the tip had most of the charge, then the spikes going through an Inquisitor's eyes would imply that those two spikes are more or less worthless hemalurgically and only for show/intimidation (no matter what the answer is, eye spikes are intimidating!) 

The reason is two fold. First, the spikes extend all the way through the skull out of the eye sockets. Thus if the tip held most of the charge, would the body be able to absorb the charge efficiently if it were extended out of the the body like the eye spikes?

Hrm. This raises additional interesting questions. Let's further compare stitchbits to metalminds.

We do know, per WoB, that two different feruchemists could use the same steel bar to store speed, and the charge would be in different physical locations on the bar. So then... let's say Steelrunner A charges the left half and Steelrunner B charges the right half. Could Steelrunner A touch the right half, and still access his charge in the left half? What I'm saying is, are feruchemical charges conductible?

(Also, would this mean that you store in the part you're physically touching? It spreads outwards from your hand on the bar, like heat from your keister onto a chair?)

Expanding the comparison, does the charge concentrated in the tip of a stitchbit conduct throughout the whole metal? As long as any part of the spike is piercing the bindpoint, does it access the Investiture stored in any specific part?

Expanding the comparison. Can you take one long steel rod, "charge" it by killing a Thug (which would only charge a small quantity of the rod) and "charge" more of it by killing a Lurcher, then stick the whole thing through a host's bindpoint, gifting him with pewter, then stick the rest of it through a second host, granting him iron? If two different feruchemists can store attributes in two physical parts of the same metalmind, can two hemalurgists use two different parts of the same oversized spike?

This tantalizes me, because I've always been troubled by how feruchemy, the supposed balance power, seems to have so much more in common with allomancy than with hemalurgy. If it turns out that the placement of "charges" within metal is something feruchemy and hemalurgy have in common, it would provide an aspect of the balance that supposedly exists but that we haven't seen yet.

This tantalizes me, because I've always been troubled by how feruchemy, the supposed balance power, seems to have so much more in common with allomancy than with hemalurgy. If it turns out that the placement of "charges" within metal is something feruchemy and hemalurgy have in common, it would provide an aspect of the balance that supposedly exists but that we haven't seen yet.

Well hemalurgy existed before Ruin and Preservation,the way it reacts on Scadrial is results of the shards.

Something I've bin working on in my head about hemalurgy is how it came first and how fhurchemy dose something similar to it .

Hemalurgy takes abailitys/traits/skills away and stores them. Then you can access them later . same thing with fhurchemy only the doner can access the power(investure). Fhurchemy is like a non harming sub form of hemalurgy in a way.

So I wonder if storing in a spike works the same as a metal mind. Area of effect like a sponge or maybe blood. It depends on where blood touches the metal for the power to be transferred. That's why the heart. The blood is still flowing in the host so as the spike passes its fully covered in blood giving it a good charge.

Now maybe the reason you pass the spike from the donor to host in one action is to get the most bang for your buck as the spake passes into the host its still connected to to the donor and maybe more power is sucked by the host .

I can't remember if the sword was still in the thug when it went into Spook but that might explain why he had such a strong charge.

Edited by coppercloud

The reason most impale both the donor and the recipient with the spike simultaneously is so the spike spends minimal time not buried in someone. Minimizes decay compared to pulling it out, walking over to another guy, and stabbing them. A few minutes out after stealing the trait and it's essentially uselessly weak.

The heart is a pretty common bind point for Ruin-Marsh's purposes from what I can tell (must bind for a lot of things for the theft process I guess), but it inherently has little to no known connection to the process itself. At least no more than the few dozen/hundred other bind points out there.

The heart is a pretty common bind point for Ruin-Marsh's purposes from what I can tell (must bind for a lot of things for the theft process I guess), but it inherently has little to no known connection to the process itself. At least no more than the few dozen/hundred other bind points out there.

The Heart is a universal Bind Point for large things like Spikes and Swords.

Only reason I can think of to NOT use the Heart is if you want the person being stolen from to possibly survive so you can steal something else.

INTERVIEW: Mar 13th, 2014

WOR-Omaha, NE

KYTHIS

Unknown question.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Hemalurgy-when you spike, you place the spike in a place that determines which charge the spike gets. Q: Through the heart seems to pick up universally. A: It depends on where in the heart. It's like acupuncture. This is designed from acupuncture and you get very specific on which nerves you're hitting and things like that Q: So the spike will never pick up more than one power. A: Not the way they know how to do it.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1108#30

• Chaos locked this topic