This series is huge. 

That being said, is it worth my time reading it? Keep in mind that it will probably take months to read, and I have many other books I would like to get into as well. So......in your honest opinion, should I hold my breath and take the plunge or stay safely above the roaring river that is The Wheel of Time? (Yes I'm aware that I just compared a book series to a river. David is rubbing off on me.) 

I personally liked it a lot, so I'd say go ahead and take the plunge.  If the size is intimidating (and I don't blame you if it is), there's nothing that says you have to read them all back-to-back-to-back-to... etc.  If you finish a book and want to "take a break" and read a something else, do it and come back later.  The subsequent books won't change any while you're gone. :)

I'll warn you that the middle portion of the series may seem a little, um, unfocused.  Oh, okay, I'll say it straight: Jordan's storytelling starts to seriously meander into some really wide-ranging plot threads.  You might, for instance, spend several chapters wondering why you're reading about characters you find annoying.  Don't give up on it.  There are some really awesome scenes in there (the climaxes of books 6, 7, and 9 come to mind).  And all of those meandering plot threads will start to converge, resolve, and make sense starting in about book 11.  By the time you reach Brandon's contributions in books 12, everything will be building up to the big finish in book 14.

And by "big finish," I mean (seriously, this is a spoiler)

the pipe.

And by the way, if you were really channeling David, you'd have compared the series to a parking lot or a flamethrower or something like that.

Wheel of Time I definitely recommend you read at least once. As Vaidd said, it does slow down in the middle for a few books, but even those are busy setting things up for the grand finale. And believe me, when I say grand finale, I mean GRAND!

Read Books 1-6

Ignore 7-9

Finish up with 10-14

If you want just skip all the chapters that don't deal with Matt, Rand or Perrin. Well....you might want to skip Perrin a couple of times too and Rand gets...weird.... for awhile. Pretty much just read Matt's chapters. And for the love of GOD grit your teeth through any female povs. They are just....the worst. From beginning to ending. And I love women.