Delightful is feeling the pressure

Delightful

*barely resists urge to answer question herself*

Heeeey if you scroll down to my AMA, I could answer that for you . . .

And now I need to question Delightful:

Does it feel strange to you that the wintertime holidays from here are in summer down in Australia? Or can you not really imagine if any other way?

How do you link to a topic in your signature?

I'm pretty sure I did it as [ url= the url of the topic] text I want to appear [/url ]

Without the spaces in the box.

I understand time zones but seasons confuse me. It's not like "unnatural" weird for me but it's like "why does this happen I don't even".

• 1 month later...

I'm a magical upvote fairy now. Magical upvote fairies are cool. B)

(I saw the original before you took it down to fix the formatting. :P)

Well, I don't know a lot of Christians who do, but a while back I attended a Messianic Seder for Passover. All of the traditions were observed, but there was an added focus on Jesus as the ultimate Passover Lamb.

Reasons vary, but one that seems to be common is that they're biblical holidays, Jesus celebrated them, so they're observing the original traditions.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Isn't Messianic a code word for "Jews for Jesus lets be sort of Jewish just so we can convert them all?"

And, uh, we left Egypt a good....thousand years? Before Jesus was born so how what I don't even know. I mean he was alive in temple times but he was killed by roman tradition not on the Temple Mount (and we don't do human sacrifices!! EVER.)

What I just don't even.

I hope that's clear to you :P.

Christians genuinely keeping the holidays would be another story entirely. I'm not sure what I think about that.

Edit: because Jesus celebrated them.....that's interesting. By that logic if you followed through, wouldn't a person end up converting to Judaism - and therefore not believing in Jesus? How far does that go?

Keeping in mind that I don't know much on the topic and speak only for myself: I don't have a problem with it per se, as long as the traditions aren't appropriated or warped and then we get told we're doing it wrong. If this were the Middle Ages, I could see that leading to pogroms Etc. I don't think that's at all the mindset of Christians today but it makes me a little nervous. Maybe rightly so, maybe not. But as far as I understand a fair amount of Christian anti Semitisn is/was a mix of replacement theology and "the Jews killed Jesus". So......yeah. Does that answer your question?

Edited by Delightful

The world needs more happy menorahs. ^_^

In response to your edit...

I don't know how or where they draw the line, but I do know it's a response to the belief that Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament Messianic prophecies; therefore, the holidays celebrated place him front and center without (so far as I know) modifying or replacing the original traditions. There's just more of a focus on Jesus as the fulfillment of those prophecies.

As for leading to warping or pogroms....I'm sure it's possible--the awfulness of humanity should never be underestimated, after all. Though from what little I've seen, there seems to be a great deal of respect for Judaism and Jews. I don't recall any remarks about Jews observing Passover wrong or "not getting it" for not seeing Jesus as the Messiah.

So sort of on topic, this just showed up on my Facebook.

I follow an Israeli Zionist Muslim Arab teenager called Mohammed Zoabi. (Yes, you read that right. He's also gay. And 100% awesome).

Yesterday he posted a photo of himself lighting a menorah, today he posted this:

(Spoiler for length)

Muhammad Zoabi

(עברית בהמשך)

(العربية أدناه)

Following yesterday's post I got a lot of comments and messages from people asking whether I am converting, or if I am considering converting to Judaism. These comments and messages made me think a lot.

There's an Arabic proverb that says: "May God help and give us all the energy and power to implement our own faiths."

I love this proverb. It's beautiful and true! And I am sharing it with you guys for two main reasons;

First is to remind you that I am, and all of us are human beings before anything else. And second, I am a human being who truly believes in our ability and obligation as a society to live in coexistence, mutual respect and peace.

I also believe that if I as Muslim light a Menorah at Chanucka, or join a Shabbat Kiddush, that doesn't automatically make me a convert!

It's exactly the same for Jews who live in Christian countries and celebrate Christmas. Or join their Muslim friends for holiday meals. That doesn't mean that they're leaving their own faiths. It's just shows how beautiful it is to join in your neighbors and friends' joy!

And I really believe that if anyone out there believes respecting and participating in other people's cultures means changing your self, then we as a Pluralistic society have a serious problem to solve!

Pluralism is the beauty of Israel dear friends.

Israel is indeed a state founded on Jewish visions and dreams, and most Israelis are Jewish. But Israel also has a large and diverse minority combined of Muslims, Christians, Druze, Circassians and others. And if we wish to realize our vision of Zionism, Israelism and unity we need to know to respect each other, accept each other and also joy with each other.

And by the way, I wasn't born Mulsim by mistake. I was born Muslim for a reason and proud of it. Each and everyone of us is born as they are under a divine wisdom.

May you all have lives full of light and hope.

Edit: ninja ninja ninja! Now I don't know if I should edit a reply or just post cause you'll have replied by then. :P:ph34r:

Edited by Delightful

So sort of on topic, this just showed up on my Facebook.

I follow an Israeli Zionist Muslim Arab teenager called Mohammed Zoabi. (Yes, you read that right. He's also gay. And 100% awesome).

Yesterday he posted a photo of himself lighting a menorah, today he posted this:

(Spoiler for length)

Muhammad Zoabi

(עברית בהמשך)

(العربية أدناه)

Following yesterday's post I got a lot of comments and messages from people asking whether I am converting, or if I am considering converting to Judaism. These comments and messages made me think a lot.

There's an Arabic proverb that says: "May God help and give us all the energy and power to implement our own faiths."

I love this proverb. It's beautiful and true! And I am sharing it with you guys for two main reasons;

First is to remind you that I am, and all of us are human beings before anything else. And second, I am a human being who truly believes in our ability and obligation as a society to live in coexistence, mutual respect and peace.

I also believe that if I as Muslim light a Menorah at Chanucka, or join a Shabbat Kiddush, that doesn't automatically make me a convert!

It's exactly the same for Jews who live in Christian countries and celebrate Christmas. Or join their Muslim friends for holiday meals. That doesn't mean that they're leaving their own faiths. It's just shows how beautiful it is to join in your neighbors and friends' joy!

And I really believe that if anyone out there believes respecting and participating in other people's cultures means changing your self, then we as a Pluralistic society have a serious problem to solve!

Pluralism is the beauty of Israel dear friends.

Israel is indeed a state founded on Jewish visions and dreams, and most Israelis are Jewish. But Israel also has a large and diverse minority combined of Muslims, Christians, Druze, Circassians and others. And if we wish to realize our vision of Zionism, Israelism and unity we need to know to respect each other, accept each other and also joy with each other.

And by the way, I wasn't born Mulsim by mistake. I was born Muslim for a reason and proud of it. Each and everyone of us is born as they are under a divine wisdom.

May you all have lives full of light and hope.

Edit: ninja ninja ninja! Now I don't know if I should edit a reply or just post cause you'll have replied by then. :P:ph34r:

I'll make it easy and post now. :ph34r:

And that's a cool perspective on his part. ^_^

People like him give me hope for a future with actual real peace and coexistence.

So I don't see how at all Jesus fulfilled biblical prophecies so I don't know how you attach that to the holiday so......yeah. Don't know.

Respect is, historically speaking, a wonderful and welcome change. Like I said, it's Islamic and disguised-as-anti-Zionism anti-Semitism that's the problem today, not Christianity-motivated. Which is great for Christians. For everyone else, maybe not so much.

Just came across the photo again, this time captioned:

It was the eighth night of Chanukah in Kiel, Germany, a small town with a Jewish population of 500. That year, 1931, the last night Chanukah fell on Friday evening, and Rabbi Akiva Boruch Posner, spiritual leader of the town was hurrying to light the Menorah before the Shabbat set in.

Directly across the Posner’s home stood the Nazi headquarters in Kiel, displaying the dreaded Nazi Party flag in the cold December night. With the eight lights of the Menorah glowing brightly in her window, Rabbi Posner’s wife, Rachel, snapped a photo of the Menorah and captured the Nazi building and flag in the background. She wrote a few lines in German on the back of the photo. “Chanukah, 5692. ‘Judea dies’, thus says the banner. ‘Judea will live forever’, thus respond the lights.”

• 2 years later...

@Del-light-full 

If shalebark grows in a forest and no one sees it, how much does tallew cost in Azir? 

Which cosmere world is best suited for your temperament?

Favorite movie?

What is your shardic intent?

If you could  have any cosmere creature as a pet what would you get?

If you were fighting an army of super intelligent groundhogs which cosmere character would you want to have by your side?

Pepsi or Coke?

If you had to face down a pack of stick wielding sand creatures which cosmere character would you want by your side?

Which cosmere character would fit in well with your family?

Olives on pizza yes or no?

Favorite mythological creature

Favorite minhag