Kandra tell?

Sirscott13

Vin already has hemalurgic double bronze.  She also uses duralumnium, and OreSeur is right in the room with her.

Fine, she thought. I'll cheat. She turned off her tin—she almost always had it on a little bit—then reached inside and burned the fourteenth metal. Duralumin.

The Allomantic pulses became so loud. . .so powerful. . .she swore she could feel their vibrations shaking her apart. They pounded like beats from a massive drum set right beside her. But she got something from them.

Anxiety, nervousness, worry, insecurity, anxiety, nervousness, worry

It was gone, her bronze expended in one massive flare of power. Vin opened her eyes; no one in the room was looking at her except OreSeur.

If she (with all her advantages) doesn't pick up anything funky at this point, I think we can safely conclude that it ain't bronze.

As I said, she was paying attention to Elend. Also, the duralamin-entanced bronze overwhelmed her. I bet it was hard enough focusing on Elend alone, let alone realize what else was happening.

P.S. Very odd that she needed duralumin to detect the emotions targeted. Marsh didn't need it, and he didn't even have double bronze.

Edited by kroen

As I said, she was paying attention to Elend. Also, the duralamin-entanced bronze overwhelmed her. I bet it was hard enough focusing on Elend alone, let alone realize what else was happening.

P.S. Very odd that she needed duralumin to detect the emotions targeted. Marsh didn't need it, and he didn't even have double bronze.

Call that skill and experience vs power. Marsh is a very capable seeker, and never had to learn any other metals.

I think it's more an issue of skill than pure strength, Inquisitors use Bronze all the time, they probably would have been Savants in it, or it could be that the Inquisitors use of Bronze is altered by the placement of the hemalurgic spike such that they can detect Hemalurgy with it, like their eye-spikes help them with their vision.

Yeah I kinda doubt that the Lord Ruler would make inquisitors strong enough to see the lines and pull on his atium bracers.

Strength and sensitivity have to be separate in Inquisitors, otherwise they'd be able to push and pull everything they can see. We know Vin only sees lines on the atium bracers when she's powerful enough to pull on them, but an Inquisitor might be able to see some faint image well below that power level.

Kanda are really good at sneaking, so whatever method Inquisitors have to detect them has to be simple and effective. The metal sight fits. A provision in the Contract does too. I guess it depends on whether the Lord Ruler was more afraid of rogue Inquisitors or rogue Kandra. We don't even know why he came up with the Inquisitor design with the missing eyes and metal sight.

Yeah I kinda doubt that the Lord Ruler would make inquisitors strong enough to see the lines and pull on his atium bracers.

Can't remember where this is from but I'm pretty sure an Inquisitors vision is fundamentally different to normal seeing the metals you can pull/push. An inquisitor can see the metals inside somebodies body we know that for sure. However they don't appear to be able to push on them, which as you say would be more power than it would be wise for tLR to give them... although random tangent, tLR is more invested than most so there could be a strength level to push on normal peoples earrings but not his... however the inquisitors don't seem to be there either.

But now that someone else mentions it its more likely that the tell is that they aren't affected by emotional allomancy at all. Although I stand by my theory as something that could make an inquisitor curious enough to try.

Some people are really good at hiding emotions, so it's not really that reliable. And Inquisitors asking every other person how they feel sounds impractical. I stand by the theory that they can see, just not push. I mean, we already know they see the metals inside of people, the spikes shouldn't be a problem.

Gentlemen, Inquisitors have good enough senses with steel to distinguish, vaguely, colors. They can tell when someone is sweating. I really don't find it all that hard to believe that they are talented enough to figure out that kandra aren't made of the same things as humans. On a secondary note, anyone ever asked what burning tin does to Inquisitor sight? Because that could be the secret.

I've always wondered that, and then just decided that blind people don't get enhanced sight. :/

Well, the AMA had a question about a blind mistborn.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/1ced7z/iamstilla_novelist_named_brandon_sanderson_ama/c9fr744?context=3

1) I recently picked up the Mistborn Adventure game and am loving it. I made a character who is a blind Mistborn because hey, I thought it would make for some interesting possibilities. As I understand Allomancy, he can hear/sense well enough to get around with Tin, plus even though he's blind he can still "see" steel lines (like the inquisitors), and I assume Atium would work the same way- that is, he could still "see" Atium shadows. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The metal that's stumping me is Gold- what happens when a blind person burns Gold- especially of he "sees" a version of himself that isn't blind? Can he see the other version or just hear/feel/sense him? What about the other version, can it see things? Could a blind person use gold in this way to see the world around him?

1) No, you're right. That works. He'd have to burn metals a LOT though. It might warp him a little. :)

2) A blind person would indeed sense these things, but not have the vision with the eyes. In the same way that a blind person still dreams, but doesn't "See" in them. (As I understand it.) I'd suggest talking to someone who is blind and getting their take on how this would work.

They also actually have eyes, and they can't see by metal lines. If tin enhances your senses, and metal lines replace sight... Inquisitors aren't always burning steel, right? At the very least they have to sleep, and when they wake up, are they completely blind? Or do they still see by metal lines? 

It's possible to sleep with metals inside you. For steel and iron it isn't even going to be unhealthy - breakfast cereal actually just has iron filings in it.

And just to repeat, there are non inquisitor allomancers that can sense trace metals. There just aren't many of them

Almost everything had metal in it—water, stone, glass... even human bodies. These metals were too diffuse to be affected by Allomancy—indeed, most Allomancers couldn’t even sense them.

Actually she did burn it when she heard which emotions breeze was soothing on elend she didn't hear it come from tensoon. In fact she asked him specifically if one could use allomancy to detect kandra when looking for the spy and although he thought she was about to discover the secret he said no because you can't use bronze to hear them

While that quote says its at least possible for other allomancers to sense these trace elements, as hemalurgic creations inquisitors are different and they're sight is fundamentally different to just enhanced power although they do also have that.

Remember, Vin only required the Duralumin because her allomancy had 1000 years of watering down.  Isn't it stated that originally any Mistborn or Misting could control them just like the Koloss? 

Put a double spiked Inquisitor doing an interrogation where they would have undoubtedly used emotional allomancy, and it wouldn't really take all that long to tell.  It is probably not a "tell on sight" issue, but one that comes up under interrogation.

That said, I wonder if Kandra automatically avoided the areas around the southing stations.

• 5 months later...

Asked Brandon at the rithmatist signing. He simply said it was because kandra had made up the rule themselves that they would not go near inquisitors. They knew that some inquisitors might be originally soothers or rioters on top of the inquisitor hemuralgy powers. This would make those inquisitors strong enough to control a kandra. Rather than risk having they're secret rediscovered because they got to close to a double soothing inquisitors, they made up a rule in they're contract that everyone knows that they won't go near inquisitors, even if the employers don't know why. Not as crafty of an answer as we might of hoped but it's the one Brandon gave me personally.

• Chaos locked this topic