Kobold King

I saw that one coming.

Do you believe in dragons, faeries, and/or unicorns?

There were only two ways to answer it--with a curt "No" or with a long and rambling essay. And since I knew I needed to write a rambling eldritch abomination story for Quiver, I opted for the short version. :P

Interesting question. In the strictest sense, no for the first two. I am inclined to doubt there were great winged reptiles that breathed fire within human history, or that there were pure white horned horses that only allowed virgins to approach them. (Though who knows--I might be wrong. :ph34r:)

Faeries are a more interesting question. As a Christian with some animist leanings, I believe that all things have a soul, including trees and stones and flowers and the like. I also believe that there are probably spirits in the universe that directly interact with humans, both in benevolent and malevolent ways. Since faeries were often either the personifications of nature spirits or household guardians, I suppose you could say that I do believe that, at the very least, the people who invented stories about them may have been reflecting some kind of cosmic truth.

Or, maybe weird Uncle Sven was eating all the wrong berries when he told the kids there was a hobgoblin living in the hills. I doubt I'll know for sure any time in this life. :P

There were only two ways to answer it--with a curt "No" or with a long and rambling essay. And since I knew I needed to write a rambling eldritch abomination story for Quiver, I opted for the short version. :P

Interesting question. In the strictest sense, no for the first two. I am inclined to doubt there were great winged reptiles that breathed fire within human history, or that there were pure white horned horses that only allowed virgins to approach them. (Though who knows--I might be wrong. :ph34r:)

Faeries are a more interesting question. As a Christian with some animist leanings, I believe that all things have a soul, including trees and stones and flowers and the like. I also believe that there are probably spirits in the universe that directly interact with humans, both in benevolent and malevolent ways. Since faeries were often either the personifications of nature spirits or household guardians, I suppose you could say that I do believe that, at the very least, the people who invented stories about them may have been reflecting some kind of cosmic truth.

Or, maybe weird Uncle Sven was eating all the wrong berries when he told the kids there was a hobgoblin living in the hills. I doubt I'll know for sure any time in this life. :P

Ahh, taking the realistic approach.

I believe in all three.  Mostly because I hate the idea of a universe where they don't exist.  I'm a credulous sort of person, and don't have much trouble imagining ways that impossible things could theoretically exist.

The upshot of this is that if anything really, really weird ever does happen, I'm likely to just go, "Huh. That's new.  Neat!" while everybody is busy freaking out about the impossible thing.

I believe in all three.  Mostly because I hate the idea of a universe where they don't exist.  I'm a credulous sort of person, and don't have much trouble imagining ways that impossible things could theoretically exist.

The upshot of this is that if anything really, really weird ever does happen, I'm likely to just go, "Huh. That's new.  Neat!" while everybody is busy freaking out about the impossible thing.

Want to be Weirdness Buddies if something really, really strange happens? I for one would embrace the weird rather than run from it. :P 

Want to be Weirdness Buddies if something really, really strange happens? I for one would embrace the weird rather than run from it. :P

Yes, absolutely!  For example, while everyone else is running in panic from the sudden reappearance of dragons in the world, we'll be busy designing saddles and harnesses for them!

(Dragons are just like big, rideable, firebreathing lizard-kittens, right?)

I am a realistic person. Says the person who declared himself the monarch of the kobolds. :P

I'm of the opinion that a universe with people capable of imagining dragons and unicorns is every bit as beautiful as a universe with mythical beasts frolicking in enchanted fields. After all, I don't believe in Mistborn either, but there's a certain humanist beauty in knowing that there's a brilliant writer somewhere in Utah with the ability to dream them up. :D

I'm afraid I'll be one of the people freaking out over the impossible thing, though in a very delighted kind of way. :P

Yes, absolutely!  For example, while everyone else is running in panic from the sudden reappearance of dragons in the world, we'll be busy designing saddles and harnesses for them!

(Dragons are just like big, rideable, firebreathing lizard-kittens, right?)

You design the saddles and harnesses, I'll grill them some chicken. 

(If they are, I think they're fire breathing lizard-kittens with sophisticated palates. So I think they'll appreciate a blend of rosemary, garlic, and olive oil. That's how dragons work, right?) 

I am a realistic person. Says the person who declared himself the monarch of the kobolds. :P

I'm of the opinion that a universe with people capable of imagining dragons and unicorns is every bit as beautiful as a universe with mythical beasts frolicking in enchanted fields. After all, I don't believe in Mistborn either, but there's a certain humanist beauty in knowing that there's a brilliant writer somewhere in Utah with the ability to dream them up. :D

I'm afraid I'll be one of the people freaking out over the impossible thing, though in a very delighted kind of way. :P

Well, you know, if you take the idea of the Infinite Multiverse theory and stretch it a bit, you could take it to mean that everything in every story every written that has any chance of happening has happened, in some alternate universe.  So maybe Mistborn ARE real, somewhere.

You design the saddles and harnesses, I'll grill them some chicken. 

(If they are, I think they're fire breathing lizard-kittens with sophisticated palates. So I think they'll appreciate a blend of rosemary, garlic, and olive oil. That's how dragons work, right?) 

Just....so long as nobody gets the rosemary mixed up with Rosemary.  I do not want to be an herb!

(Heck if I know.  I grew up on Pern dragons.)

Well, you know, if you take the idea of the Infinite Multiverse theory and stretch it a bit, you could take it to mean that everything in every story every written that has any chance of happening has happened, in some alternate universe.  So maybe Mistborn ARE real, somewhere.

Just....so long as nobody gets the rosemary mixed up with Rosemary.  I do not want to be an herb!

(Heck if I know.  I grew up on Pern dragons.)

This is my theory and I'm sticking to it. 

No, not that kind of Rosemary. What kind of a kitchen do you think I'm running here? :blink:

(I read a grand total of one Pern story when I was growing up, but I really enjoyed it. The only other major dragon-based work I recall was a PBS show called Dragon Tales, which was made for kids far younger than I was when it came out. Though it did have some interesting worldbuilding details—like the way every dragon would undergo a physical change if frightened (one shrank and one turned invisible)—the writers always focused more on trivial things like "friendship" and "teamwork" and "overcoming sibling rivalry." <_<)

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

This is my theory and I'm sticking to it. 

No, not that kind of Rosemary. What kind of a kitchen do you think I'm running here? :blink:

(I read a grand total of one Pern story when I was growing up, but I really enjoyed it. The only other major dragon-based work I recall was a PBS show called Dragon Tales, which was made for kids far younger than I was when it came out. Though it did have some interesting worldbuilding details—like the way every dragon would undergo a physical change if frightened (one shrank and one turned invisible)—the writers always focused more on trivial things like "friendship" and "teamwork" and "overcoming sibling rivalry." <_<)

Heh, sorry.  I've never gotten used to sharing my name with an edible plant.  It's disconcerting whenever I hear people talking about cooking with me.

The Pern stuff defined my teenaged years in a lot of way.  Though Anne's writing did get a little shaky near the end, and her son's books are just frankly terrible.  The last-published Pern book that was good, IMNSHO, was Masterharper of Pern.

I did Pern MUSHes back in the day.  I did a lot of MUSH roleplaying, actually.  I was just thinking about it the other day, and how that's probably why I write as well as I do now.

Edit to Add:  we are hijacking the heck out of poor Kobold King's thread.

Edited by Kaymyth

Edit to Add:  we are hijacking the heck out of poor Kobold King's thread.

And getting more upvotes than me on it, which is ironic enough to fuel most Lurchers' Allomancy. :P

(I don't really mind, though. Heaven knows I've hijacked enough threads in my day to understand. :ph34r:)

And getting more upvotes than me on it, which is ironic enough to fuel most Lurchers' Allomancy. :P

(I don't really mind, though. Heaven knows I've hijacked enough threads in my day to understand. :ph34r:)

(We really need an "Annexed by Oregon" graphic, don't we? :P)

Edit: HaHA! I asked a question! Back on topic! :P 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I have spent hours imagining a world with people with Allomantic and Feruchemical powers.

A question: Can you ask questions in MY AMA?

For those of you who are still concerned about this, here's the new Oregon Annexation message with the spelling corrected:

c17b24168fbebd21925cddd8b2ed1c33.png

You're welcome. :P

Absolutely incredemazibles, now can you make one in a "all your thread are belong to us" kind of way? :ph34r:

Edited by Edgedancer