Ask Chaos Anything!

Chaos

And in the same notion as HeatherWriter (the only real choice for favourite staff member), I shall endeavour to ask interesting questions.

What are your opinions of Vines?

What else should I ask?

My list of questions:

How do you feel about the tendency of Internet denizens to hate mods for no apparent reason? Do you hate mods?

Have you ever visited the DeepWeb? If so, at what point did you order an assassination on one of your enemies?

Do you sing in the shower?

What is one thing that disgusts you?

Why do women shave their armpits and men don't?

What was your first impression of me?

If corn is used to make corn oil, olives are used to make olive oil, and coconuts are used to make coconut oil, what does one use to make baby oil?

What movie title would best describe your life story?

Do you have any scars (besides your bellybutton)? If so, how did you get them?

What's the most unusual conversation you've ever had?

Can you impersonate anyone or do a really good accent?

When you play Tic-Tac-Toe, do you usually pick Os or Xs? Do you win?

What do you have on your fridge?

Have you ever been banned from anything, RL or otherwise?

What historical figure would you love to see in 21st century life?

That is all. You must answer all of these.

What is your favorite brand of toilet paper and why?

Let's go with "not my crappy campus's toilet paper." Crap pun fully intended.

I believe you mentioned that there would be changes to sig policy with the new adaptive forum update. I don't suppose you could spoil the specifics - I fear my sig is probably not regulation, and if I were to remake it, I'd be curious to know what I should be aiming for (also, for if I make a banner for someone too...)

Seems as though that while signatures appear in the desktop and tablet breakpoints for the responsive design, they are hidden on the phone version.

Probably the easiest solution, which means nothing will change. 

Alright, since this AMA has been taken over by site design and policy questions, let's do something a little more fun. Favorite ice cream flavor? If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Who is your favorite member of the moderating staff whose username rhymes with Weatherwriter?

1. French vanilla. I'm boring. I actually didn't like ice cream until college, so I'm behind the times.

2. Japan, obviously.

3. Hmmmm... well, since rhyming depends only on the end of the word, WeiryWriter ;)

And in the same notion as HeatherWriter (the only real choice for favourite staff member), I shall endeavour to ask interesting questions.

What are your opinions of Vines?

What else should I ask?

I've seen a few good vines though don't look for them, nor particular care.

I dunno. Responding to my answers is definitely a thing you can do, though! It'd be cool if this got more conversational.

Are you scary?

Apparently that's the reputation I get... I don't think I'm scary most of the time. I'm pretty unassuming in person.

However, I've taught full-time for a year, and even longer part-time, so I am pretty practiced in being... commanding. That probably has something to do with it. 17th Shard gives me a lot of practice in very tersely getting people to stop their stupid crap. I am forceful in doing so. I suppose teaching has taught me that I am really sick of people's stupid crap.

"You two, tone it down ten notches. This is a stupid argument, and go away from the computer and make a sandwich. Maybe then you'll get proper perspective to realize the scale of the stupidity of this situation." The things I wish I could say. Most arguments on here are dumb because both parties are being totally ridiculous. So when I am cross... yes, I am very terse.

I also don't tolerate stupid theorizing. I swear if people try to stir up crap saying Calamity is a Shard one more time...

I do really like wielding the banhammer, though.

I think some extra distance in the community does help giving a balanced perspective, so I don't take sides or show favoritism. It is a minor benefit to being less active than I used to be (though I want to be on more).

My list of questions:

1. How do you feel about the tendency of Internet denizens to hate mods for no apparent reason? Do you hate mods?

2. Have you ever visited the DeepWeb? If so, at what point did you order an assassination on one of your enemies?

3. Do you sing in the shower?

4. What is one thing that disgusts you?

5. Why do women shave their armpits and men don't?

6. What was your first impression of me?

7. If corn is used to make corn oil, olives are used to make olive oil, and coconuts are used to make coconut oil, what does one use to make baby oil?

8. What movie title would best describe your life story?

9. Do you have any scars (besides your bellybutton)? If so, how did you get them?

10. What's the most unusual conversation you've ever had?

11. Can you impersonate anyone or do a really good accent?

12. When you play Tic-Tac-Toe, do you usually pick Os or Xs? Do you win?

13. What do you have on your fridge?

14. Have you ever been banned from anything, RL or otherwise?

15. What historical figure would you love to see in 21st century life?

That is all. You must answer all of these.

I'm numbering your list because if you're going to have so many questions... :P

1. A lot of mods suck. Just because you have imaginary internet credit doesn't demand respect. It is earned. And a lot of mods just defend their tiny bits of power to the end...

2. Nope.

3. Rarely.

4. Smoking; weed or otherwise.

5. Societal pressure to make women seem pretty, I guess.

6. I don't recall specifically but I remember having positive experiences when you were Snoopy. That's the best I got.

7. I think you know ;) The dark gods do, too. (Though seriously, baby oil is a different thing because it is for babies. It is not like the other.)

8. "Sometimes Laziness Does Work Out, Well, If You Find STEM Fields To Be The Lazy Path."

9. I got a scar on my forehead from when I was learning to bike. Fell forward, helmet slipped upwards.

10. That would be great if I remembered such things off the top of my head. I find these types of questions hard to answer.

11. My accents are universally terrible. Never will you see a person merge Scottish and Jamaican with such fluidity. It's bad.

12. It's a boring game. I haven't played in an extremely long time.

13. Actually, absolutely nothing. Apparently that's weird.

14. Nothing comes to mind.

15. Hmmm... Surely someone like Einstein.

Whenever I read banhammer, I always think of the gravity hammers from the Halo franchise (possibly a result of the Bungie forums being the first place I saw the term). What do you visualize the Banhammer to be? 

And RE: the distance of mods/admins from the community. That's why you've got a whole bunch of staff - even if a couple staff join in, there'll be others around to moderate relatively impartially.

Whenever I read banhammer, I always think of the gravity hammers from the Halo franchise (possibly a result of the Bungie forums being the first place I saw the term). What do you visualize the Banhammer to be? 

And RE: the distance of mods/admins from the community. That's why you've got a whole bunch of staff - even if a couple staff join in, there'll be others around to moderate relatively impartially.

I don't actually the visualize the banhammer, because it is really just a button :)

Exactly! 

Assuming no one else typed this before....

Do the two stars in your admin name mean you are the sherif of the site...x2?

Those are default icons in this software package. We really need something better.

(Image)

giphy.gif

<3

:D

As for my reaction to being Chaos' favorite "-writer":

tumblr_inline_n2x66lbXzs1ql6kpx.gif

<3

When making rep ranks, did you think "2^10" when you made 1,024 "Honorspren"?

Absolutely. It's the number of years that the Well of Ascension took to refill (well, pre-Catacendre), and is a power of sixteen, of course. In the original rep ranks, 1024 was the highest, so it will always be a rep level of some sort.

I tried to make interesting numerical things with those. For example, "Prime" happens at a prime number. I had fun with those.

What sort of on-site behavior do you find to be absolutely intolerable?

How many people, over the years, have been banned from 17S?

Do you have a lower opinion of those who come on the site for casual interaction and joking with other fans of the Brandersnatch as compared to hardcore theorizers?

1. Ignoring WoBs or being belligerent when people tell them to you, as if you don't actually want to know what is going on, and just want to ignore people. There's another thing you can guess, and maybe I'll finally have my freaking post about downvotes done now that proofreadings are finished...

2. Oh man. Well obviously we are excluding the hordes of spambots. It's hard to get a firm number, because clearing the spambots means it is easy to accidentally delete the other banned members. (It's important to keep them around because of certain metadata associated with the account in case they decide to start making more accounts to spite us.) I'd imagine it's less than twenty. 10-20. But it might be slightly less than ten, too.

3. Not at all! Both casual and hardcore should feel comfortable here. 17th Shard did start very heavy on the theorizing front, and I am really happy that is not all the site is.

Of course theorizing will be a critical part of the forums here, but it should not and cannot be the only part of it. We are seeking a wider audience here. That's why I'm pleased that there are a lot of Reckoners fans. There's finally a non-cosmere series that gets actual posts. So few of the non-cosmere works actually translate into activity. The more there are of those, the more people who are not up-to-date with the cosmere will feel comfortable here.

Obviously, I'll be theorizing when I have good ideas. I need to participate in those more. And maybe reply to my own topics, like Realmatic Attributes. I think I just posted and never really kept on it. I get bored these days. I'm really busy juggling projects.

Totally unrelated, but I actually wrote prose! Real prose for my own books! So I guess The Prophet King is officially a thing. It was very unexpected, but rereading Elantris made the words flow nicely. I am pretty pleased with it, though I worry the beginning is a bit boring. But my main character turned out very well!

Congratulations on getting some words down :D here's to more progress :)

What's been your fave movie this year? Last year?

Last year was Interstellar for sure. That might just be my favorite thing.

This year would probably be Jurassic World. That was so good.

Are you in regular contact with Brandon? Or do you just kind of bump into him at signings kind of thing?

I, personally, am not in regular contact with him.

Josh and Mi'ch see him a lot. They play Magic with him on occasion.

I don't live in Salt Lake, so I don't see him nearly as much. I have to drive seven to eight hours to get there, so it's usually for a busy signing. This also means I end up helping at the signings, and so I talk with Brandon just briefly at the end of them.

Maybe someday when I'm in Salt Lake more!

• 2 weeks later...

Can Admins promote moderators to admins. Can Admins promote regular people to moderators or admins? Can moderators promote?

Admins have ultimate control over the site. In our structure, Josh, Mi'ch, and I have the final say in promotions. Promotions are talked about in great depth.

Moderators have significantly less abilities. They cannot promote people. Much of what they can do is the functional stuff on the site: move topics, pin topics, edit posts (if necessary). Administrators have a control panel which lets them do... well, everything else. The Admin Control Panel has a ludicrous mountain of options.

So being promoted to an administrator does matter. Though if admins want to do more esoteric site things, they let me know what's up.

What is the most important contemporary issue that we need to resolve?

Hmmm. I don't know. Polarization in politics?

Edited by Chaos

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...