Theory: everyone is a Rithmatist (they just don't know it)

WayneSpren

it falls on one point, which is the shadowblaze. normal people don't know it exist. so if they escaped from rithmatists, and everybody is a rithmatist, then everybody would see one and they would not be secret.

other than that, it fits with everything and it explains some unlikely coincidences (the chances of four brothers being all rithmatists are one in one thousand billions).

So, if it was a working hypothesis in my work as a researcher, i would rate it unlikely but worth investigating further.

Edited by king of nowhere

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I honestly don't think that belief is the main idea of unleashing your Rithmatic abilities. It seems far off from the reality of the world. I think it mainly has to do, if everyone IS a Rithmatist, with oneself not having the qualifying skills or requirements. For example, Melody can draw fantastic chalklings and CAN draw Circles but they are not that good, and yet they work. Joel can draw Circles amazingly but can't draw chalklings well but they don't work. I believe it depends on the skill.

A good shot, but chapter 1 seems to disprove this theory. In it, even Joel is surprised that the lines he drew don't come to life: yes, he "knows" he's not a Rithmatist, but in that moment he was so drawn up into his own story that he forgot, and then felt foolish for forgetting afterwards. If the above theory was correct, then he should have been able to accidentally draw a Rithmatic line.

A good shot, but chapter 1 seems to disprove this theory. In it, even Joel is surprised that the lines he drew don't come to life: yes, he "knows" he's not a Rithmatist, but in that moment he was so drawn up into his own story that he forgot, and then felt foolish for forgetting afterwards. If the above theory was correct, then he should have been able to accidentally draw a Rithmatic line.

Hmm...well, maybe I'll have to do a bit more reading into this, then.

(By the way, Thought, have a cookie)

• 3 months later...

But in Chapter 1 Joel hadn't gone into the Chamber of Inception yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

On the theory: Sanderson spends a lot of time working on and likely thinking about the Cosmere, so some elements are bound to slip through. For example, I believe that a Rithmatist is created when a Shadowblaze, who are unable to make chalklings, bond with someone who can draw. Perhaps Forgotten bond in a similar fashion, but with unknown benefits. Communication probably, but unknown beyond that.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 2/25/2017 at 0:43 PM, Rage said:

I find this topic interesting but I have to agree with Shadowspren and Thought there isn't enough info.

1 hour ago, uglyllama said:

I like the thought behind this theory.  Even though I don't think it's 100% accurate, I'd have to say that knowing Brandon, there will be some major twist at some point that will be something just as eye-opening.

Thanks for the criticism; my theory wasn't really thought out as much as it should have been.:P