Heirs to the Final Empire: Roleplaying Thread

Wyrmhero

Generation 1: The Final Empire

Turn 1

"Eighteen of you? I thank you for your support. It is more than I had hoped for. I have only nine gifts to grant, but you are my chosen, my exalted few. You may not all bear the powers of Allomancy, but your children and their children will carry my blessings upon them."

Rashek took a step forward, and gave a bead of metal to Joel. He gave out the rest of the beads, seemingly at random, though who could tell if there was a scheme in his eyes? Certainly there were wheels turning in the minds of those without this power, and he was glad of it. He wanted his Allomancers, his new nobility, to be strong and cunning, to shape the world with their wills. It seemed he would not be disappointed.

"Allomancy," he explained, "is a magic of metals. By ingesting certain metals, one can gain powers akin to and yet completely unlike that of Feruchemy."

"Ingesting... You mean eating?" Locke asked, looking at the bead in his hand with mild distaste.

Rashek nodded. "Yes. While these metals are within you, you may consume them for these powers. There are eight metals that you can use this way: tin, which enhances your senses; pewter, which enhances your strength; iron, which allows you to attract metals towards you; steel, which repels metals; zinc, which allows you to enflame the emotions of those nearby; brass, which does the opposite and soothens their emotions briefly; copper, which allows you to protect yourself from zinc, brass and bronze; and bronze, which lets you detect the use of Allomancy nearby."

"And this one?" Aodhan asked, holding up the bead in his hand. "What is this metal?"

Rashek waved the question away. "It does not matter. Its only effect is to grant Allomancy to people, and it is in short supply. Indeed, you nine hold the only beads in existance. It is known as lerasium, if that answers your question."

"Where did you find it, anyway?" Sen asked. "Surely such a power would have been discovered before now, or at least spoken of in myth and legend."

"At the height of my powers, while I held the strength of a god in my hand, I created them," Rashek said. "Lerasium is not a metal you can merely mine. Now, obtain your rewards for serving me. Then we shall make our way to our new home."

"By the gods..."

"There are no other gods anymore," Rashek replied, without looking round to see who spoke. "None that would care to answer our prayers, anyway."

"Was this necessary, Rashek?" Primus asked. "This devastation? The brown skies, the dead plants, those... Those mountains that spew ash?" he asked, waving towards an ashmount in the distance that was sprinkling ash on the land. "Was it really necessary?"

"Yes," Rashek replied, snapping at Primus as he turned around. "Do not question me, Primus, when you know nothing of what transpired at the Well. I am your lord, your ruler, and I will have your fealty."

Primus was silent for a moment, holding Rashek's gaze, but soon enough he looked away. "I apologise, Rashek. In my heart, I know you did what had to be done. What others may not have been able to do."

Rashek nodded and turned back around, satisfied with Primus' retreat. "Let us not waste any time. My palace, Kredik Shaw, is some miles away, I am sorry to say, and it will take us time to reach it."

"And where are we to live?" Gamic asked. "Your palace may be grand, but we will need homes for ourselves, and our servants, if we are to be your nobility."

"My palace is located in what was once a small city," Rashek explained, "Though now it lies abandoned thanks to the Deepening. While the accommodation may not suit my nobles, that can be changed, in time. I have no doubt you will make the city your own very quickly."

"But couldn't you have chosen somewhere closer for it?" Lutha grumbled.

"My city was chosen for good reason, Lutha. It is central. Not all the world is liveable anymore, and my palace occupies the heartland of the parts which are. If it helps, there will be less need to travel so far in the future."

"This single banner of yours?" Aodhan asked.

"Yes," Rashek said. "It is important that the empire remains small in size. It is the only way we can survive in this world."

"So, what do we do when we get to your new capital?" Cofal asked.

"It's simple. We establish the city fully, and then we expand the empire. It will be a kingdom to outlast all others, the like of which the world has never seen; it will be the final empire this world will ever see."

The First Generation has begun! It will end on Sunday the 14th at 6PM BST. All PMs have been sent out.

You have discovered Allomancy, along with the eight metals it allows you to use. Walin Walin, Primus Pifferdoo, Joel Tormander, Mennet Farrsolin, Ven Orielle, Locke Tekiel, Aodhan Izenry, Tydan Queade and Cofal Erikell have been granted the power of Allomancy.

Each player has been granted a Keep around the spires of Kredik Shaw, along with a retinue of Servants to attend to them.

Generation 1 Player List
  • Winter Cloud - Cleo Venture
  • little wilson - Kyara Wilson
  • spencer12347 - Walin Walin
  • Lord Pifferdoo - Primus Pifferdoo
  • The Only Joe - Joel Tormander
  • Gamma Fiend - Gamic Urbain
  • Unodus - Turukseed Uethorn
  • Adamir - Mennet Farrsolin
  • Blank Fate - Cyrus Artorius
  • Venture Mistborn - Ven Orielle
  • OrlokTsubodai - Locke Tekiel
  • Comatose - Lutha Elariel
  • Aonar Faileas - Aodhan Izenry
  • Quiver - Tydan Queade
  • wblk - Sen Wair
  • phattemer - Cofal Erikell
  • Araris Valerian - Hadrian Penrod
  • Renegade - Renea Garde

We will be using this thread for RP and Public Actions (which should be bolded for clarity), and the other thread for rule clarifications and new signups. For the purposes of Actions and RP, assume the First Generation starts a few years after the Ascension.

I'd also like to request that Actions are sensible - There will be penalties if Actions are too ridiculous/encompassing. Remember to state them logically as much as possible so I have less room for confusion.

In addition, recall that I would like to be a part of conversations, and that they were preferably stored on a Google doc or something. Edited by Wyrmhero

Lord Cofal Erikell looked around at his fellow Lords. He knew that they were ostensibly all equivalent, but he still could tell who had had power before the Ascension and who had not. Privately, he began to refer to the *better* group as Great Houses. The others he called Minor, for they would need to hang on the coattails of their greaters in order to succeed. As he considered, he remembered Allomancy. He still didn't fully understand the mystical power, but he had been experimenting in the previous weeks. Though he didn't like to, Cofal knew that he had to include the other newborn Mistborns' houses in the Great Houses. He was somewhat shocked at the choices for the other Allomancers. Cofal himself was an obvious choice, but some of the others... was that Walin Walin? His parent and brother had spoken out against Rashek- no, The Lord Ruler- but yet he was now an Allomancer. Perhaps the Lord Ruler was trying to cement his loyalties? Walin wasn't the only... strange... choice, but some of the others, like Ven Orielle and Locke Tekiel were excellent choices. They were intelligent enough to learn about their powers, ruthless enough to remain at the top, and sensible enough to consider an alliance. Cofal sent a messenger out to them to discuss a temporary bloc.

Cofal had learned that Allomancy was hereditary from the Lord Ruler, and as such, he is Trying for an Heir to hopefully gain an edge in Allomantic power.

Edited by phattemer

They were tumultuous times, when a goatherder could be called 'lord'. As a child, Tydan had had no illusions of status; his thoughts with goats and mountain lanes.

Was that why Rashek- the Lord Ruler- imparted these gifts to Tydan? As reminder of the man he himself had once been?

Tydan -Lord Queade- had no idea; nor would he ever. They may have shared the title of Lord, but the difference in status between himself and Rashek was plain to see. Compared to him, Tydan might as well still be a goatherder.

And, he mused as he stroked his beard, mayhaps he still was. Men and women had flocked to Alendi's banner to seek profit; they would do the same for Rashek.

Rashek said that these would be the beginnings of noble houses. And noble houses would need noble, loyal men to follow them.

Or, to put another way, I want to provide good food, clothes and lodging for my servants. If that's too broad, let me know.

Edited by Quiver

Walin the Second stared up to his new God, feeling his immersive power that Rashek gave off just from standing there. 

Walin saw beauty in this living breathing God against the ash covered sky and had a perfect thought. 

All should worship him, and if I spread his name and glory he will honor me so. 

Walin though back to the time in his home Kingdom in Seran, thinking of the statues of the great Ser herself. 

That is what I will do build statues of him to show his power and like the God himself the statues will stand there for the test of time. 

Who?- Lord Walin is performing this action int the capacity of a House Lord.
What?- Walin is building statues of Rashek through his new capital
Where?-Luthadel his new capital.
When? 1st action
Why?-Gain good standing with Rashek and to show his glory and power.

To make it easier for other players, I'll add my character name to the start of each of my posts; just a suggestion, not trying to exert authority over other peoples' posts, but it would be more convenient to not have to scroll all the way back up to the start of Page 1 and go through the name list to remember who you are. Also, note that I will mention certain modern weaponry that doesn't come into play until the Wax and Wayne series; as stated in the original topic, WoB has pointed out that the pre-Ascension society was close to achieving railroads. Note that the following is two actions, taken one after the other.

Mennet Farrsolin

Mennet held the two pellets in his hand, remnants from his family's distasteful work. One was a bullet with an alloy of ninety two per-cent steel and eight per-cent carbon. The other was half as carbonated, but the visible difference was completely non-existent. If he hadn't found them in labeled containers, he would have thought them identical. This gift was... it was extraordinary, simply unbelievable. It was like a gift from Terr himself - but as Rashek said, Terr was dead. Mennet had to keep reminding himself that, over and over again.

These were the two most pure steel alloys he could find. Since the Deepness, most metallurgists and smithies had given up their trades in favor of what could actually help them survive. Mennet would have to remedy that; if the alliance came through, he would have all the metal he wanted to refine and sell. But for now... For now, he had four hundred bullets for his steel. With iron, there was no one good source, just a thousand bad ones; sharp nails that would leave him dead of internal bleeding. Goblets that would have to be melted down and re-forged into smaller pieces. Gun barrels with the same problem. Steel and tin were the only two metals he had in good amounts.

Mennet reminded himself what he was trying to do. Sighing, he swallowed the first pellet, and felt power filter into his bones. He let it rest for a moment, gently prodding at it to watch thin blue lines sprout from his chest. Finally, Mennet tossed a pouch of tin half-mark coins into the air, and Pushed against it. They were useless to him; the half-marks had thirty per-cent silver, and were almost fatal to burn.This was a promising alloy; four millimeter rounds seemed to work. 

Mennet swallowed the other bullet.

The lines flickered when he reached for them, as if trying to maintain a hold on reality. Mennet pushed against the coin pouch again, sliding it a few feet further across the floor. A spike of nausea stabbed through his stomach, and Mennet cut off the burn. hunching over and trying to keep from throwing up. The five millimeter rounds had too much carbon, leading to an impure alloy, he concluded. Mennet sighed, then took out six small pills filled with powdered brass. He was playing a game of chance with the worst possible odds; five in six that he would be un-eating his lunch.

Two hours later, Mennet considered just how lucky he had been in finding the right alloy on his first attempt. And how stupid he had been - brave, he considered, but still stupid - to hope that one of the other alloys might work even better. This was a gift that needed to be preserved through the generations; he needed a child to inherit the power.

• Who? - Mennet is performing the action

• What? - Mennet is first testing Allomantic alloys (examine the doc for the alliance-which-must-not-be-spoken-of-in-the-public-section-of-the-roleplay) for his eventual plan (detailed in that doc), then Trying for an Heir

• Where? - In his keep, in Luthadel

• When? - These are my first and second actions for the turn.

• Why? - Looking for the best and almost best alloys for his eventual plan (details in the doc). Trying to preserve the Allomancy in his family so as to remain relevant generations down the line.

On another note, I think there was some WoB about Mistings existing pre-Ascention. Should that be worked in - perhaps for a few players who didn't start with lerasium? Also, I've been using my almost non-existent programming skills to try to turn this into an actual PC game, though it will probably end up as a 2-3 star Newgrounds flash game. I did a test playthrough, and counted four bugs, three lag spikes, and one good old fashioned endless loading screen - and that was just the menu.

EDIT: I just realized, every other character is acting around 2000% more pious than me, a former priest of Terr; I'll try to balance it by preaching with every alternate sentence (I won't; that will just get annoying). Who knows, I'll probably turn Mennet Junior into an atheist.

Edited by Adamir

Sen of House Wair

Sen stood on the balcony, staring at the spires of Kredik Shaw. It had been several long years since the Ascension, since the Lord Ruler had saved the world.

A lifetime ago.

He saw workers building some sort of monument in the distance, messengers flitting around the streets and a few of his guards loitering at the Keep entrance.

No doubt the other Houses are currying favour with the Mistborn.

Sen did not care much, he knew his wife Lark was a great admirer of Allomancy as it was called.

But it would not be Allomancy that would keep the Final Empire strong, but faith in the Lord Ruler and wealth.

He knew the people had little true faith, but perhaps their loyalty could be bought. They doubted the truth of the Lord Ruler's power, many of the old Kingdoms had yet to fully submit.

He was the Sliver of Infinity, we can but trust he knows the path to salvation.

Sen sent for a messenger, the other Houses had yet to corner the market for these precious metals needed for Allomancy. Perhaps now was the chance.

• Who?-Sen as House Lord is performing an Action
  • What?-Contacting traders and offering contracts in transporting Iron and Tin from mines to Luthadel and other regions.
  • Where?- Luthadel
  • When?-First Action
  • Why?- Hoping to gain a monopoly on trade of Iron and Tin to increase the wealth of the House.
Edited by Wblk

To make it easier for other players, I'll add my character name to the start of each of my posts; just a suggestion, not trying to exert authority over other peoples' posts, but it would be more convenient to not have to scroll all the way back up to the start of Page 1 and go through the name list to remember who you are. Also, note that I will mention certain modern weaponry that doesn't come into play until the Wax and Wayne series; as stated in the original topic, WoB has pointed out that the pre-Ascension society was close to achieving railroads. Note that the following is two actions, taken one after the other.

Mennet Farrsolin

Mennet held the two pellets in his hand, remnants from his family's distasteful work. One was a bullet with an alloy of ninety two per-cent steel and eight per-cent carbon. The other was half as carbonated, but the visible difference was completely non-existent. If he hadn't found them in labeled containers, he would have thought them identical. This gift was... it was extraordinary, simply unbelievable. It was like a gift from Terr himself - but as Rashek said, Terr was dead. Mennet had to keep reminding himself that, over and over again.

These were the two most pure steel alloys he could find. Since the Deepness, most metallurgists and smithies had given up their trades in favor of what could actually help them survive. Mennet would have to remedy that; if the alliance came through, he would have all the metal he wanted to refine and sell. But for now... For now, he had four hundred bullets for his steel. With iron, there was no one good source, just a thousand bad ones; sharp nails that would leave him dead of internal bleeding. Goblets that would have to be melted down and re-forged into smaller pieces. Gun barrels with the same problem. Steel and tin were the only two metals he had in good amounts.

On another note, I think there was some WoB about Mistings existing pre-Ascention. Should that be worked in - perhaps for a few players who didn't start with lerasium? Also, I've been using my almost non-existent programming skills to try to turn this into an actual PC game, though it will probably end up as a 2-3 star Newgrounds flash game. I did a test playthrough, and counted four bugs, three lag spikes, and one good old fashioned endless loading screen - and that was just the menu.

You have the alloy and base backwards. Steel is made from iron ad carbon, not the other way around. I asked Wyrm about that, and he said that for now, the only known Allomancers are the 9 Mistborn.

That game sounds great!

Lord Penrod stared out over the city of Luthadel from his vantage point atop Keep Penrod. He had known that many kings would flock towards the new emperor in an attempt to cling on to some last vestige of their former power. However, Hadrian had hoped that he himself would be able to offer a service so unique that the Lord Ruler would bless him with the powers of Allomancy. No matter. Those kings may have had experience running entire kingdoms, but they would be little better off than himself at managing a noble House.

"Royce!" Hadrian called. The scribe approached. "Yes, mi'lord?"

"Prepare paper and gather my best historians. I would like to begin writing the history of this 'Final Empire.' Surely the Lord Ruler will want all accounts of the past to show him in a favorable light, and the other Lords will wish to purchase books from us to show their own loyalty."

"Already done, mi'lord." Royce hurried off to finalize a deal for the necessary supplies.

So, I would like to perform my first and second actions of the turn by purchasing large amounts of leather, paper, ink and pens followed by the creation of a history of the Final Empire's origins.

Action 1:

Who: Royce

What: Ordering supplies for writing books

Where: Inside Keep Penrod

Why: So that scribes can begin writing a history of the Final Empire

Action 2:

Who: Lord Penrod and scribes

What: Organizing and writing history/propaganda for the Lord Ruler

Where: Inside Keep Penrod

Why: To gain favor with the Lord Ruler, to produce products that other Lords will invest in and to establish my House's reputation as a creator of fine works of literature

I asked Wyrm about that, and he said that for now, the only known Allomancers are the 9 Mistborn.

Yeah, to make things simpler, it is assumed that the only Allomancers right now are the 9 Mistborn. Mistings were incredibly rare before the 9 lerasium Mistborn started to have children, and even then, the first few generations would also be Mistborn (though they would just be known as Allomancers, as there is no need yet for a distinction). It is only ever assumed in retrospect that Alendi was a Seeker - He personally makes absolutely no reference to his ability in his journal, nor does he ever comment about ingesting bronze for his powers (though I do question how he might unknowingly do so post-bronze age, I admit). If Alendi, the de facto ruler at the time, did not reference it, we can assume that practically no-one else knew as well.

Remember that, if you are attempting to have an heir, I would like suggestions for their names. You should also not have children already.

I'd also like to point out there are NPC nobles (who aren't even named, poor guys) who are also developing Luthadel and the surrounding areas. It is highly unlikely you will get a monopoly, even if no other players go for the same thing.

Incidentally, I did once try to make this into a computer game, but I admit I'm not the best or most focused programmer. I also have absolutely no idea how to do a graphical user interface in Python, which doesn't really help. I'd be interested to see your take on it.

Edit: Two clarifications which I feel are important for everyone to know for this Generation.

Currently the skaa do not exist, per se. There are people who are non-noble, some of whom serve you (hence the Servant Reputation rather than Skaa Reputation currently). They do not yet have to be leased from TLR, but I will not be charging people for the use of Skaa when that comes around - I will assume your House sets money aside for them, same way you don't have to pay taxes. I will point out though that your House will have to pay upkeep each Turn on the properties you own. You can't expect to buy a dozen places and have them run efficiently, after all :P

During the First Generation, none of the cities other than Luthadel are a part of The Final Empire. Places such as Urteau exist, but you cannot buy property there until they have been captured.

Edited by Wyrmhero

The city around Kredik Shaw had never been exceptionally populous; before the Deepness, there had been just under ten thousand citizens. Now, two thousand remained, a skeleton of what once was. Most businesses that weren't geared towards food production and other necessities had shut down in necessity; pity, that would make Mennet's plan that much harder. What he needed was to find out which buildings were once inhabited by smiths and metallurgists. Many of them were abandoned, and the people who lived in the others rarely carried on the trade. It shouldn't be too difficult to buy up those buildings.

• Who? - Mennet is performing the action, in his capacity as House Lord

• What? - Mennet is buying up different smithies and refineries

• Where? - In Luthadel

• When? - This is my third action for the turn

• Why? - Details in the doc

With great effort, Turukseed Uethorn lifted himself from his desk after long nights of preparing letters that would shape the future of his house- both to internal and external sources. Turukseed turned to his loyal wife, and realized that the introduction of allomancy would inevitably make the courting system even more complex than it already was. Children would be bargained like property for wealth, and that would twist the nature of society in a very sinister way. Would true motives beyond greed survive? It seemed almost foolish to believe so, but at least he could take refuge in the fact that his own marriage wasn't driven by politics. The future seemed bleak, at least he could appreciate what he had now and prepare for the inevitable- before all his virtues and ideals were buried beneath this rain of disgusting corruption and ash.

Who? - Turukseed Uethorn, Lord of the House

What? - Turukseed is trying for an heir

Where? - In Luthadel

When? - This is my first action this turn

Why? - To prepare an heir for his House [Names: (M)- Retleh (F)- Mynne

Edited by Unodus

Primus Pifferdoo, First of his Name, nearly choked on the ash as his long cloak whipped through the air. My my, that is annoying how the damnation thing pulls me off balance in the wind. This newfound gift of flight had occupied the man for some time after Rashek's Ascension. The gifts given by Steel and Iron seemed the most intriguing to Primus, and already he was devising some sort of method to travel freely between cities. Maybe carrying metal spikes to Shoot into the ground, then Recalling them after - no, they would have to be some permanent fixture. If there were mineral deposits along the roads - no, we wouldn't be that lucky. Hmm...

An hour of thought later, Primus Pifferdoo found himself on the tallest tower of his "keep": an abandoned church of Kilvaros, God of Rivers and Life. Rashek, in his sudden Holiness, had banned the practice of other religions. Primus had been one of the last preachers of Kilvaros, and as a result could not bring himself to abandon his faith so freely. He fingered at the bottle of river water he kept tied to a rope around his neck. My cousins of the faith have already started convincing the few rivermen left to move into the city. Once my people are here, they can begin building vessels on which to seize control of the waterways. Primus wringed his hands. There was so much work to be done.

A day later, Primus Pifferdoo was Shooting and Recalling nails when he realized something. In this new world of Allomancy, my blood will soon become the most valuable commodity. "However elevated we may be, Rashek, we have sunk farther than you may imagine." Primus muttered to himself. That being said, an heir would be more useful in the long run than any trading company or business deal. A bond in blood will only secure alliances for the future, and insure the survival of my family, and ultimately, my faith.

Who? - Primus Pifferdoo, First of his Name
What? - Primus Pifferdoo is relocating the River People of Kilvaros from the Southern Dominance to the new Capital.
Where? - The Southern Dominance and the new Capital
When? - This is my first action
Why? - To gain loyal followers, to create a strong trading company of river-workers, and to preserve his faith.

Who? - Primus Pifferdoo, First of his Name

What? - Primus Pifferdoo is Trying for an Heir 

Where? - The New Capital

When? - This is my second action

Why? - To gain an heir and secure a valuable resource. (Son - Kilvorn, Daughter - Kilva)

I'm bad at write ups.

Who- Me as a house lord

What- I am buying Allomantic metals. Large amounts.

Where- Luthadel

When- first action

Why- to sell metals to the other houses.

Who are you buying them through, though? Not to expose any conspiracies, but I have spent the last hour arranging bulk purchases of metals from another player for myself to refine. As far as I know, I am the only person currently making high-quality refined metals.

There are other nobles running around who he could buy metals from. The deal you work out with players is entirely up to you, whereas Venture Mistborn will be stuck with the 'NPC rate'.

Also, remember you only have four three Actions per turn.

Oh yeah, there was a slight error in the writeup. This Turn is actually slightly longer than most, and ends on Sunday, not Saturday.

Edited by Wyrmhero

...Fail. :unsure:

You have three Actions per turn. Fixed >>.

In that case, could my first action be considered pointless, as I didn't actually gain anything from it? To stay within the limit, I'm removing the action where I went and spoke to Lords Erikell and Walin, as most of that was done through google docs.

In that case, could my first action be considered pointless, as I didn't actually gain anything from it? To stay within the limit, I'm removing the action where I went and spoke to Lords Erikell and Walin, as most of that was done through google docs.

I don't have that as one of your Actions. According to your Publicly stated Actions, you are: Testing alloys, trying for an heir, and buying smithies and refineries in Luthadel. As to whether your first Action is pointless or not, well... Play and Find Out :P

Incidentally, so people are aware... I'm not particularly paying close attention to the private conversations flying around. If there's something you explicitly want me to see, please send me a message via the HttFE PM so I can clearly see it. Otherwise, it's hit-or-miss as to whether it gets answered quickly or at all.

Edited by Wyrmhero

I don't have that as one of your Actions. According to your Publicly stated Actions, you are: Testing alloys, trying for an heir, and buying smithies and refineries in Luthadel. As to whether your first Action is pointless or not, well... Play and Find Out :P

Incidentally, so people are aware... I'm not particularly paying close attention to the private conversations flying around. If there's something you explicitly want me to see, please send me a message via the HttFE PM so I can clearly see it. Otherwise, it's hit-or-miss as to whether it gets answered quickly or at all.

That's because I removed the action, as I had gone an action over the limit. As it was mostly just talking to other House Lords over a doc, there wasn't really anything I actually did other than plan.

On another note, how do I commit an action without it becoming public knowledge (for example, I wouldn't want anyone to find the body - wait, did I just say that in the public section of the forum?)? And does communicating with other players (such as arranging trades) count as an action?

Hadrian was worried. His house had spent a significant portion of its wealth purchasing materials for just one edition of one book. At this rate, he would be bankrupt long before he had a chance to write himself into a history text. "Royce! See how many boxings you can scrounge up and go buy all of the paper mills in the city. Also, look into where a good place to start a tree farm would be in this accursed ash. There must be some place where we can truly start to dominate this industry."

"Yes mi'lord. Might I recommend that you invest your efforts into another area? If the current supplies of paper are destroyed then we would practically be bankrupt."

"All in good time, my dear fellow. All in good time. We have only been here for a few years, I figure that we have at least a couple more before somebody gets devastated by a wayward ashmount's eruption or something of the like. Perhaps in the future we can look into the textile industry, for making banners and the like. Anyhow, be about your business."

As Royce scurried away, Hadrian pondered his current goals. He hoped that dominating literature in the Final Empire would give his house an edge in future generations. By controlling the flow of writing materials, his house could effectively limit which philosophers and Houses would be able to influence the general population. But his house was too small and too weak. Perhaps he could offer a favorable depiction of another House in exchange for protection...

Action 3

Who/What: Royce is going to buy the entire paper industry in Luthadel for his house lord, including raw material supply lines and paper mills.

Where: Luthadel and anywhere that currently provides raw materials for paper

The Goal: To avoid overspending money in the future and to gain a reputation in all things in writing

Edited by Araris Valerian

That's because I removed the action, as I had gone an action over the limit. As it was mostly just talking to other House Lords over a doc, there wasn't really anything I actually did other than plan.

On another note, how do I commit an action without it becoming public knowledge (for example, I wouldn't want anyone to find the body - wait, did I just say that in the public section of the forum?)? And does communicating with other players (such as arranging trades) count as an action?

As phattemer's said, I only need a minimum of one action to be stated here. The rest can be sent in via your HttFE PM..

Communicating with other players does not take up an action, but arranging trades would take an action from you both. I have changed my mind with regards to how arrangements like this can be carried out - There's a little more communication going on than expected, so to simplify things and not make them take an age to sort out, I will modify the rules regarding trades such that they can be more immediate. I will edit this change into the rules tomorrow when I'm back on my computer.

If you and the other player both say 'Action: House A wants to trade with this X for Y win House Z/Response: House Z accepts this trade with House A giving away Y for X', that is that they both state the same deal terms, then it can take place on that Turn. Otherwise, if there is a discrepancy, then the players will be informed of that, and they have another turn to get it right. if the player does not send in a response regarding this, then that player will be informed for the next Turn, same as before. The same is true of marriage contracts. Remember that one player must offer the trade (taking an Action) and the other responds (which does not take an Action).

Also, remember that you can only trade stuff you have. Your properties will not produce anything on the Turn you acquire them, but will the following Turn. After that, you may sell those Goods, if Goods are what it produces.

Edit: People really should give up on the idea of obtaining monopolies... There is no mechanical definition of a monopoly, and people can always just build/buy more of them. It's a bit too game breaking if each person just has an iron grip on industries with no way for others to gain a foothold. Plus. NPC nobles doing similar things. If you want to buy a lot of an industry, say so rather than using the term 'monopoly'. You can't control other peoples' Actions, after all, though you may give it a good try.

Edited by Wyrmhero