What Do You Look Like?

Guest Cognizantastic

On 22/02/2017 at 1:35 AM, Quiver said:

I...

Have put all my weight back on again. -_-

My self esteem keeps shorting out...

Well, if your self esteem keeps shorting out, just turn off all emotions that run on the circuit that keeps breaking, plug in self esteem and reset the circuit breaker. If it continues shorting out, replace the neuroplastic walkway which runs on negative emotion and replace it with new pathways built on happiness and positivity. Solder it together with some of our love for you and plug that self esteem back in, if it doesn't trip, you have successfully fixed the short!

----------------

Sorry that was a very long and bad pun. But the concept remains. Losing weight is hard but it is achievable. I suggest finding a sport which you would enjoy playing, as well as daily runs. I'm not gonna touch nutrition and dieting.

You can do this quiver

On 2/21/2017 at 8:35 AM, Quiver said:

I...

Weight loss is tough, because our bodies are programmed to freak out and assume that we're starving.  The body's desire is to get back to that "safe" place where it started, because it's stupid and doesn't understand that we don't have to fight bears for our food anymore.

I use a calorie tracker app.  It's helped so far; I lost and kept off 10 pounds in 2016.  I'm moving into high gear now, with a goal to drop at least 20 by July.  It's hard.  I want to eat all the things.  But I look at my tracker and say, "No, Rosemary. But you can eat some of the things! And you can exercise and eat a little bit more of the things, but not so much more as to completely negate those calories you burned."

Things to remember:

1)  Don't try to lose too much too quickly.  My goal is doable; the average would be a pound a week, which is perfectly healthy and sustainable.

2)  If you can successfully reach your goal and then maintain that level for a year or so, your body will eventually reprogram itself to acknowledge that as its new "safe" weight.  So it's not just about losing - you have to be just as diligent about staying there.

49 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

[Body] it's stupid and doesn't understand that we don't have to fight bears for our food anymore.

Greatest quotes of 2017, part one :D

Changing your habits, going out of addiction or losing weight share the same fundamentals: you gotta do it slowly. So slow that - perfect scenario - body will barely notice any change.

If you're starting exercising, you start lightly and keep on adding on as you go. You can't just start doing hardcore exercise.

For example, about a year... I think? Maybe ten months?... I decided I'll stop adding sugar to my tea. And I drink a lot of tea. I got from almost three teaspoons to one. I probably could do it faster but what's the point?

Anyway, weight loss is not about "I'll diet and exercise and that'll do it". It's about changing your habits. Permanently.

On 21 February 2017 at 4:35 PM, Quiver said:

I...

I know its way easier said that done, but try not to base your self esteem on weight? You're sweet and kind, you know a verifiable crap-ton about comics and you come up with fantastic ideas. We all love you and we've never even seen you. Your body isn't all of who you are.

On 21 February 2017 at 8:46 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

I want to grow my hair long. Dye it white

Hide contents

Image result for dark skin white hair guy

I'd look like that guy ^^

That would be freaking awesome.

On 24 February 2017 at 9:24 PM, Kaymyth said:

Weight loss is tough, because our bodies are programmed to freak out and assume that we're starving.  The body's desire is to get back to that "safe" place where it started, because it's stupid and doesn't understand that we don't have to fight bears for our food anymore.

I use a calorie tracker app.  It's helped so far; I lost and kept off 10 pounds in 2016.  I'm moving into high gear now, with a goal to drop at least 20 by July.  It's hard.  I want to eat all the things.  But I look at my tracker and say, "No, Rosemary. But you can eat some of the things! And you can exercise and eat a little bit more of the things, but not so much more as to completely negate those calories you burned."

Things to remember:

1)  Don't try to lose too much too quickly.  My goal is doable; the average would be a pound a week, which is perfectly healthy and sustainable.

2)  If you can successfully reach your goal and then maintain that level for a year or so, your body will eventually reprogram itself to acknowledge that as its new "safe" weight.  So it's not just about losing - you have to be just as diligent about staying there.

Re being programmed to starve. There's this guy on the interwebs called Jon Gabriel and he has a whole weight loss ideology based around this. It might be worth checking out, see if theres a point or two that could help you. That being said.....please don't try any "only avocados for a week!" weird diets. Those rabbit holes are scary and unhealthy.

On 24 February 2017 at 10:23 PM, Oversleep said:

Greatest quotes of 2017, part one :D

Changing your habits, going out of addiction or losing weight share the same fundamentals: you gotta do it slowly. So slow that - perfect scenario - body will barely notice any change.

If you're starting exercising, you start lightly and keep on adding on as you go. You can't just start doing hardcore exercise.

For example, about a year... I think? Maybe ten months?... I decided I'll stop adding sugar to my tea. And I drink a lot of tea. I got from almost three teaspoons to one. I probably could do it faster but what's the point?

Anyway, weight loss is not about "I'll diet and exercise and that'll do it". It's about changing your habits. Permanently.

What oversleep said. Its about changing your lifestyle around, slowly but surely. I did it a bunch of years back and have slowly regressed out of laziness. :P The archery will help, that's great exercise. If you take public transport, get off one stop early and walk the distance. Switch from white bread to whole wheat. Eat vegetables as a snack instead of junk food. One step at a time, one small thing at a time, get used to it, then change something else. No rush, this is a long-term project. 

Also, do more stuff you enjoy. Meet and hang out with people who like you. Try to feel competent about stuff. Most importantly, be kind and patient with yourself. You got this.

All the other lovely people in this thread have pretty much covered it, but I'd like to add that one of the most important steps in getting to a goal is not giving up on it after you slip up. I had the worst problem with this for the longest time, because if I failed once I'd give up on the whole thing. Patience with yourself is key.

...basically, I'm your first grade teacher saying "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again." :P

About dieting... be careful. Everyone. 

I'm 23 years old. About 15 years of body image disorders (I don't really remember when it started) and 7 years of eating disorders. 2 of them fighting back - and gaining weight. Finally ok with how I look even though I'm bigger than 7 years ago. Started losing weight in a healthy way for the first time in my life. I know now something very important. Don't ever try to lose weight if you hate your body. It might just push you over the edge. Love yourself first. And don't do it for others. Do it only for your own health. 

Sorry, it's kinda my personal quest to save people from what I've been through. 

Anyways! Back to thread?

I have no problems with showing my face, if fact, I actually discovered taking pictures of yourself and appreciating them helps a lot with body issues. I recommend it to everyone with some insecurities, really. So here I am. And for those who like reading more than watching... probably everyone on shard ;) here's how I see myself:

Pale. I chuckle every time I try to buy foundation, because "ivory" is to dark for me :lol: last time i got myself a "white porcelain" :D So pale that even my freckles are pale. Not brown, like normal human freckles, but tan, sandy colour. I reflect light. ;) I have a slight obsession with my hair. I care for it extensively. But it works, my hair, dyed copper-gold with henna, reflect light too! My eyes are also very bright, and they change colour in different settings. People tell me I look like my mum a lot which is very sweet. 

I've quietly fallen off the earth lately (I blame college), but I've been following this convo via email notifications and --- oh boy weight loss

Hey, you guys, did you know weight and health are almost completely unrelated?

Huge rant under the cut!

Spoiler

Did you know that doctors tend to not even test things like blood sugar or pressure in thinner patients because they don't think it's necessary?

You can have diabetes and heart disease and be conventionally "healthy" skinny. You can be nearly anywhere above that and be much healthier than someone smaller! 

Most of our medical suggestions on weight are unfounded in good science. Doctors will suggest weight loss to a healthy patient for no reason.

Our social stigmas against weight ARE NOT ABOUT HEALTH!! They're about LOOKS. We've programmed ourselves to find "thin" people attractive.

It's stupid and cruel and unnecessary. 

Weight isn't about eating. You are what you eat, sure, and excess energy is stored and all that, but it's a lot more complex than that. You can't just not eat and expect to be healthy!

People all have a point of weight homeostasis where their bodies will naturally gravitate towards. Doing rigorous, unexpected dieting puts your body in "starvation mode" -- it starts to burn its stored fat (and muscle reserves). Your poor, stressed body will rejoice when you stop starving yourself -- and save up until it can feel safe again. If your weight does not fluctuate and is remaining pretty stable (my stable point is like 160lbs), that might mean that's just how your body likes to be. And that isn't bad!!!! That isn't bad!!!

Humans are beautiful and incredible and following absolutely stupid social garbage about fat isn't helping you or any of us.

I'm not saying eating right isn't important. It's really important! It shouldn't be about weight --- it should be about health. Eating right makes you feel good, makes your skin glow and your head clear.

It isn't math, though. It's not calories in -> calories out. We process FOOD, not calories. Aside from the fact that calories are notoriously inaccurate and hard to count, a "calorie" of almonds processes very differently from a "calorie" of, say, health cereal. Basically -- don't listen to em. They're garbage.

"Healthy food" costs 40% more on average than "normal food" --- except that healthy food isn't actually all that healthy. If something has health claims on a box, it's probably not healthy. If it has unpronounceable ingredients, probably not healthy. If your great great grandma wouldn't realize it's edible, probably not healthy. Basically, your best bet is to avoid processed food (even if they try to convince you they're healthy, they aren't). 

Also, the main thing that hurts you is sugar. Not fat, not anything else -- sugar. Fat is good and important for you to consume! Cholesterol eaten doesn't actually effect your cholesterol at all and is a necessary and healthful food. Drink whole milk -- removing the fat makes it so your body can't break down the nutrients in it. Eat eggs!! They're super good for you!!!

This isn't to say that you absolutely cannot ever eat anything processed or sugary. Just be careful, don't go to extremes. Also, homemade food is so much better for you than store food --- so by extension homemade doughnuts are more fun and more tasty and more healthy than a bag of lil debbie's.

I'll stop talking about food now, lol. I get really excited. I will 100% yell about it some more if y'all want but I don't want to be annoying!

tldr: Being thin or fat is no indicator of health. Our social stigma about fat is completely cosmetic, not medical. Bodies are different shapes and that's great!!! Love yours, it's beautiful. Take care of yourself. Eat good, whole food, but have fun too. 

35 minutes ago, dead-moth said:

I've quietly fallen off the earth lately (I blame college), but I've been following this convo via email notifications and --- oh boy weight loss

Huge rant under the cut!

Hide contents

Did you know that doctors tend to not even test things like blood sugar or pressure in thinner patients because they don't think it's necessary?

You can have diabetes and heart disease and be conventionally "healthy" skinny. You can be nearly anywhere above that and be much healthier than someone smaller! 

Most of our medical suggestions on weight are unfounded in good science. Doctors will suggest weight loss to a healthy patient for no reason.

Our social stigmas against weight ARE NOT ABOUT HEALTH!! They're about LOOKS. We've programmed ourselves to find "thin" people attractive.

Weight isn't about eating. You are what you eat, sure, and excess energy is stored and all that, but it's a lot more complex than that. You can't just not eat and expect to be healthy!

People all have a point of weight homeostasis where their bodies will naturally gravitate towards. Doing rigorous, unexpected dieting puts your body in "starvation mode" -- it starts to burn its stored fat (and muscle reserves). Your poor, stressed body will rejoice when you stop starving yourself -- and save up until it can feel safe again. If your weight does not fluctuate and is remaining pretty stable (my stable point is like 160lbs), that might mean that's just how your body likes to be. And that isn't bad!!!! That isn't bad!!!

Humans are beautiful and incredible and following absolutely stupid social garbage about fat isn't helping you or any of us.

I'm not saying eating right isn't important. It's really important! It shouldn't be about weight --- it should be about health. Eating right makes you feel good, makes your skin glow and your head clear.

It isn't math, though. It's not calories in -> calories out. We process FOOD, not calories. Aside from the fact that calories are notoriously inaccurate and hard to count, a "calorie" of almonds processes very differently from a "calorie" of, say, health cereal. Basically -- don't listen to em. They're garbage.

"Healthy food" costs 40% more on average than "normal food" --- except that healthy food isn't actually all that healthy. If something has health claims on a box, it's probably not healthy. If it has unpronounceable ingredients, probably not healthy. If your great great grandma wouldn't realize it's edible, probably not healthy. Basically, your best bet is to avoid processed food (even if they try to convince you they're healthy, they aren't). 

Also, the main thing that hurts you is sugar. Not fat, not anything else -- sugar. Fat is good and important for you to consume! Cholesterol eaten doesn't actually effect your cholesterol at all and is a necessary and healthful food. Drink whole milk -- removing the fat makes it so your body can't break down the nutrients in it. Eat eggs!! They're super good for you!!!

This isn't to say that you absolutely cannot ever eat anything processed or sugary. Just be careful, don't go to extremes. Also, homemade food is so much better for you than store food --- so by extension homemade doughnuts are more fun and more tasty and more healthy than a bag of lil debbie's.

I'll stop talking about food now, lol. I get really excited. I will 100% yell about it some more if y'all want but I don't want to be annoying!

tldr: Being thin or fat is no indicator of health. Our social stigma about fat is completely cosmetic, not medical. Bodies are different shapes and that's great!!! Love yours, it's beautiful. Take care of yourself. Eat good, whole food, but have fun too. 

Preach!!!

48 minutes ago, dead-moth said:

Huge rant under the cut!

Hide contents

I've got Type One Diabetes, which may have contributed to my current lean-ness. Like, I'm 5'10", 118 lbs (180 cm, 53 kg), very skinny. Guess I just have a fast metabolism, or something.

1 hour ago, dead-moth said:

Good advice.  Weight is important in that you can be unhealthily skinny or overweight for your body, but there's no reason for everyone to try to be super thin. I loved your point about calories in vs calories out, which I hear all the time.  It's not all that matters, no matter what people insist (it's about all that matters if you're trying to do nothing more than lose weight, but that's a very unhealthy approach).

1 hour ago, bleeder said:

I've got Type One Diabetes, which may have contributed to my current lean-ness. Like, I'm 5'10", 118 lbs (180 cm, 53 kg), very skinny. Guess I just have a fast metabolism, or something.

I've got a friend with type one diabetes, and she's skinny too (though not that skinny).  Type Two diabetes can be brought on by being overweight, but people with Type One can be any size (and I think they tend towards skinny if I remember correctly).  118 is skinny, but if you're healthy, then it's just fine.

Edited by Jondesu