Alcatraz Option Not Renewed.

• 1 month later...

Alcatraz would be a hard, nearly impossible, book to adapt well, IMO. The best part about it is the quirky narrator and all the tongue-in-cheek humor. It probably would have turned out like the Percy Jackson movie, where they stripped out all the humor to make it a more serious action movie to appeal to a wider audience. It's probably better this way...

But just think of the theme song!

(starts playing Cake)

I want a hero with a mind of sarcasm

I want a hero who breaks what's best

I want a hero whose Talent breaks

And Eyes that burn like cigarettes

I want a hero with the right bag of sand

Who's fast and thorough and sharp as a Gak

He's playing with his Lenses

He's breaking some swords

He's touring the library

And picking up books

I want a hero with pink glasses and a greeeeeeen jacket.

• 6 months later...

Oh Holy God, I thought you meant that the series as a whole had just been dropped and I was about ready to kill people.

I remember picking up the first Alactraz book in my mock newbery club thinking it would be the stupidest thing ever and absolutely falling in love with it(as did everyone else who read it) if the publisher dropped it I would have felt like all hope and happiness in the world had been dropped too.

Alcatraz would be a hard, nearly impossible, book to adapt well, IMO. The best part about it is the quirky narrator and all the tongue-in-cheek humor. It probably would have turned out like the Percy Jackson movie, where they stripped out all the humor to make it a more serious action movie to appeal to a wider audience. It's probably better this way...

Or it would have turned out like The Series of Unfortunate Events movie... *shudders*

Umm... actually Scholastic won't be publishing the (still unwritten) fifth book. Brandon says he still plans on writing it, and that he'll find another publisher (which will likely be Tor). But it won't be Scholastic (which isn't the worst thing in the world....)

Thank goodness he still plans to continue writing the series! I've only just finished Book 1, and I intend to hunt down the rest of them now. It's such a fun book! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Umm... actually Scholastic won't be publishing the (still unwritten) fifth book. Brandon says he still plans on writing it, and that he'll find another publisher (which will likely be Tor). But it won't be Scholastic (which isn't the worst thing in the world....)

I know this is a necropost, but I asked Brandon about this recently, and he said that Tor wants Alcatraz 5. So, there's that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Alcatraz picked an annoying voice on purpose. Remember, the entire point of these books is to convince us that he's not a nice person.

Listening to three hours (about the reading time of the first) of that voice can cause internal hemorrhaging. There ought to be an FDA warning on the cassette.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...