Realmatic Theory and Magic 101

Nepene

Your compromise is acceptable B)

I was mostly kidding with the MEC. His answer isn't really enough by itself for anything besides "well, I guess I'm not completely wrong." A guy can always dream, though... ;)

Edited by Kurkistan

We should get this topic pinned for the newcomers to the forum. Great work Nepene!

Thank you.

To Kurkistan, or anyone else reading this, I am currently looking for quotes from the books to spice things up. I added one from Raoden's description of how the Dor works and the description of measurements of Spren in WOK. If you can find any poignant quotes from the books that illustrate these Cosmere principles I would appreciate them.

• 2 months later...

New bit of info from Phoenix ComiCon:

Audio, around 49:00:

When one of the Shards, like Odium, moves from world to world in cosmere, does their presence, such as the metals they leave behind or their magic really go with them?

Brandon: Odium never really settled on a planet [before?]. He now, he settled on Roshar and his magic has permeated things. Leaving would be very difficult for him, and would either involve leaving behind some of his power, or ripping that out, which would be a difficult process. So yes, it is very tough to leave.

Thought: He left Sel intact because the process of Splintering Devotion and Dominion didn't require much Investment. Afterward he could leave easily.

On Roshar, he might find it easier to completely destroy the place afterward because he had to so heavily Invest himself to Splinter Honor. Now he's heavily committed to the Splintering of Cultivation and, therefore vulnerable. This also provides a foundation for he reasons why Hoid is sticking around and writing letters asking for intervention. Maybe his Hate intent wasn't as foolproof a way to make sure Adonalsium couldn't be reformed as he thought. Maybe its Hate itself that has made him so heavily Invest himself in this endeavor.

• Chaos locked this topic