broken pottery discs in WoA

Red Ferring

Was there any significance to the pottery discs found on the stone ledge in the cavern holding the WoA? It's mentioned as Vin and Elend observe their surroundings there, with only one pottery disc intact with the remaining Lerasium bead on it.

And we know that Hoid was there before them and grabbed a bead for himself.

Why do they break the pottery after grabbing the bead? Why did Hoid leave that final bead?

Anyone have theories or WoBs on this? Or am I the only one who thought the broken discs was too odd and wonder why Hoid left a bead when he could have taken it?

Well I though you had to break them to get the Bead out but i do not remember. As for Hoid leaving one he has some future sight/access to and may have known that a bead was need to be used by someone for things to go the way he wanted. Hoid is Hoid so he could have done it for the fun of it too

A pretty good rule of thumb is that when a character does something incomprehensible, precognition is probably involved.  :lol:

I wonder, actually, whether those discs can slowly generate new beads of lerasium like the atium geodes do.

I wonder, actually, whether those discs can slowly generate new beads of lerasium like the atium geodes do.

I was wondering that too! They seemed so strange the way they were described then ignored. Because if they were put there by TLR, why would he make pottery discs, place beads on them, then immediately take the beads and shatter the discs? It's like assembling an Oreo cookie, only to immediately twist the top off, eat the icing, and discard the two ends.

Another consideration is that Vin's description of them as pottery is only her observation. Many times does Brandon show us that his characters don't always know the truth of their world and what's going on. It could be the discs only appeared that way, but were actually made of something entirely different and were producing the beads. It makes sense considering atium' origins. And that shattering the discs ensured no more would be created. And then who shattered them? Hoid or TLR? Could the others have regrown and Hoid actually did take those too and left the one for Elend? So many questions!

I've always assumes that they were broken because it was necessary to get the bead lf Lerasium out, just like you have to break open the Geode to get the Atium out.

If I'm right, it's not the Geode or Disc that generates the metal (remember the Crystals in the Pits?), but rather a ring/sphere that either protects the Metal, or maybe is composed of impurities that leech out during the formation of the concentrate.

Presentation is everything?

Who would notice this random bead of metal on the ground in the same room as a pool that grants godhood?

Gotta give it that "Here! This is important!" look by decorating it.

• Chaos locked this topic