The Brandon Sanderson Standart - book ranking

Hi! I thougt up a new ranking system for books. It's based on how good they are relativ to Brandon's: the Brandon Sanderson Standart

ABSS: Almost Brandon Sanderson Standart

That's the best a book can get, than noting is as good as a Sanderson books.

BBSS: Before Brandon Sanderson Standart

This book has been on the to of rankinglists, before there was Brandon Sanderson.

CBSS: Closer Brandon Sanderson Standart

It's closer to the BSS than most, but not nearly there.

YBSS: Y u read this??

ZS: Zuccini Standart

Please don't mention the words 'Brandon' or 'Sanderson' around a book (called that for lack of a better word) this bad.

While I love Sanderson, there are absolutely authors out there writing books that are every bit as good as him.  Michelle West writes books with characters that are just as strongly realized (and sometimes more) in fantasy setting that feels every bit as real--but Sanderson does action waaayyy better.  Mira Grant, although writing horror, has evoked the absolute strongest feelings and reactions in me to characters ever, bar nothing.  Jim Butcher's had a few really, really good books that pull together strands from a dozen or more novels for great pay-off (Changes is the finest novel he's ever written, and is just so damned good; I also felt that Cold Days was incredibly strong.)

So, there are definitely things as good as a Sanderson book--even if few are reliably better.  What I love about Sanderson is that in every nearly every category that you could break a novel into (plot, story, pacing, action, word choice, characterization, world-building, believability/internal consistency, tension, etc.), I'd rate him as at least "good."  It's hard to get all those damnation slider bars up there, and even though many authors have a few that are higher, they dip lower in other areas as a result.

Also, zucchini is amazing and delicious and one of like 4 vegetables that I actually enjoy.  I propose we call it the "Broccoli Standard" instead (or Asparagus, Cauliflower, or Brussels Sprouts, as each and every one of those is literally the devil.)

While I love Sanderson, there are absolutely authors out there writing books that are every bit as good as him.  Michelle West writes books with characters that are just as strongly realized (and sometimes more) in fantasy setting that feels every bit as real--but Sanderson does action waaayyy better.  Mira Grant, although writing horror, has evoked the absolute strongest feelings and reactions in me to characters ever, bar nothing.  Jim Butcher's had a few really, really good books that pull together strands from a dozen or more novels for great pay-off (Changes is the finest novel he's ever written, and is just so damned good; I also felt that Cold Days was incredibly strong.)

So, there are definitely things as good as a Sanderson book--even if few are reliably better.  What I love about Sanderson is that in every nearly every category that you could break a novel into (plot, story, pacing, action, word choice, characterization, world-building, believability/internal consistency, tension, etc.), I'd rate him as at least "good."  It's hard to get all those damnation slider bars up there, and even though many authors have a few that are higher, they dip lower in other areas as a result.

Also, zucchini is amazing and delicious and one of like 4 vegetables that I actually enjoy.  I propose we call it the "Broccoli Standard" instead (or Asparagus, Cauliflower, or Brussels Sprouts, as each and every one of those is literally the devil.)

I do agree with you. There are other books that are better in one thing, or are just so different that you can't really compare them. But Sanderson's book are just so good, so I can't not compare other with them. So I came up with this, a little silly, ranking  ;)

I love broccoli! You can't name it that :o  ;)

I love broccoli! You can't name it that :o  ;)

Then we shall call it the Brussels-sprouts standard instead!

And my problem with a lot of modern authors is that many are way too predictable.  I can guess what will happen with almost any book that I read... except Sanderson.  Although my mom is really good at guessing what will happen, like she is almost a psychic or something!

And my problem with a lot of modern authors is that many are way too predictable.  I can guess what will happen with almost any book that I read... except Sanderson.  Although my mom is really good at guessing what will happen, like she is almost a psychic or something!

I know your problem. I think it's part because I read already a lot of books and I just know how some plots/whatever work so I can predict them much more easily. Sanderson has often so huge twists that I never guess them :)

• Chaos locked this topic