Forum Index

Silverblade5

What if we could have some sort of forum wide index? One that documents threads that have been real helpful to the community? One that cataloged the best theories, and the stuff that really changed the place? Ones that most people should probably know about? I haven't seen anything like this, and probably not looking hard enough. But if something like this is needed, I would like your guys help in creating this, as I haven't been around nearly long enough to see all the gems.

The main problem with this idea is that they get quickly out of date, and you end up having to include that index thread in the next set of index threads when the next person can't find it. The cosmere 101 is an obvious starting point, and there's probably other such things for the other subforums. 

Sounds like a good idea, but picture it this way...

Person making the index: I just thought up a baseless new theory! Time to put it at the top of the index, above theories with actual merit! Also, I'm lazy and can't be bothered updating it to remove out of date theories once new books come out.

What I'm saying is, the risk is a bit high. If we could have multiple people working on one post, it could work, but as only admins and moderators can edit other peoples' posts that probably won't happen. We can't trust this job to just one person, though.

Hint, hint, site managers: Put that option in

Edited by Adamir

If you can persuade a moderator for something like that, maybe, but it is a lot of work to keep such things up to date. Just look how hard it is to keep the Ultimate List of Questions up to date.

If you can persuade a moderator for something like that, maybe, but it is a lot of work to keep such things up to date. Just look how hard it is to keep the Ultimate List of Questions up to date.

I know. My plan would be to first use all the veterans to compile what's already known, and then just ask someone to post to the thread if they think something should be added. I'd do all the updating. Although, it would be helpful if mods would help...

I know. My plan would be to first use all the veterans to compile what's already known, and then just ask someone to post to the thread if they think something should be added. I'd do all the updating. Although, it would be helpful if mods would help...

That is up to them if they wish to do so. You can contact the active mods if you like. I am too busy, and honestly, I think a lot of them are as well. But I cannot speak to what they want so they might.

Hint, hint, site managers: Put that option in

What I meant was, make it possible to add 'owners' of any given post. This means that the other 'owners' will also be allowed to edit that post, and add additional owners if necessary. This would mean no work required of the mods once the feature was in; it could work as a collaboration between different regular users. Maybe there could be a way to set different 'ranks' for the owners? Perhaps to theme the ranks around different Cosmere concepts? For example,

Tenth Heightening: Able to edit, add new owners and remove old owners

Fifth Heightening: Able to edit and add new owners

Third Heightening: Able to edit

First Heightening: Regular viewer

Of course, using Heightenings wouldn't really work (what about 2, 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9?), but I'm sure someone will think of something.

Edited by Adamir

I'm not familiar with the software so I could be wrong but I don't think that is a possibility. I like the idea, though, and you could do an easy workaround by linking to a Google doc that has multiple owners or open editing. Periodically copy-pasting the content into the post below the link would let our show up and be searchable for forum users who don't click through.

What I meant was, make it possible to add 'owners' of any given post. This means that the other 'owners' will also be allowed to edit that post, and add additional owners if necessary. This would mean no work required of the mods once the feature was in; it could work as a collaboration between different regular users. Maybe there could be a way to set different 'ranks' for the owners? Perhaps to theme the ranks around different Cosmere concepts?

Not a thing that can be done.

I'm not familiar with the software so I could be wrong but I don't think that is a possibility. I like the idea, though, and you could do an easy workaround by linking to a Google doc that has multiple owners or open editing. Periodically copy-pasting the content into the post below the link would let our show up and be searchable for forum users who don't click through.

Not a thing that can be done.

I'll go with the google doc suggestion, then. Is anyone willing to help with it?