Allomancy: Consuming Metals for the Future

WindrunnerRadiant

So, I've been thinking about this for a while now, and what would be the best and most efficient way of consuming metals for Allomancers in the future? And I think I have a very, very good solution. A pump.

I'm thinking something similar to a diabetic's insulin pump, or at least that sort of idea. They can be fairly out of the way, you get metals in your system just by pressing a button. Your only worry would be making sure it is full before you head out for the day. Or night. Those Allomancers can be quite the insomniacs...

Now, obviously, you wouldn't want them to be exactly like an insulin pump, but the general idea could be very beneficial. I would also suggest the be encased in aluminum (expensive, but making it harder to tamper with for other Allomancers). 

Anyways, let me know what you think of this idea, the obvious pros and cons, etc.

I'm guessing that part of the point would be to control the doses so you don't end up with lead poisoning from eating pewter all the time, or something. Since, in the future, we can expect life expectancy to increase, these health concerns would start to take a higher precedence.

Depending on exactly how Allomantic Beads are burned, I think coating Pewter beads would be preferable to only having a small amount in your system. What if you need to do an extended Flare? What if the gadget gets damaged?

Better to die in 15 years from Lead poisoning than today because my opponent got a lucky hit.

I remember seeing a WoB that said an Inquisitor could burn the Hemalurgic Spikes that were stuck in them (it would hurt to an insane degree), so that would seem to indicate that any metal touching your blood could be burned.

But then again, metal in your blood is more toxic than metal in your stomach...

I wonder if there'd be a market for allomantic stomach implants - especially for copper or gold, since they don't react with HCl. That way, you could carry your reserve around with you all the time and your enemies wouldn't be able to disarm you without feeding you aluminium.

...Not that copper or gold would help much in a fight, of course. Maybe tin?

Of course, when injecting them, they go into the bloodstream, right? Are metals burnable anywhere in the body, or can they only be burned in the stomach?

This would be one of the differences mentioned in the original post. I didn't think metal in the blood sounded like a good idea. No, it is just a general idea.

Depending on exactly how Allomantic Beads are burned, I think coating Pewter beads would be preferable to only having a small amount in your system. What if you need to do an extended Flare? What if the gadget gets damaged?

Better to die in 15 years from Lead poisoning than today because my opponent got a lucky hit.

This sort of machine would actually work better for an extended flare. You could simply set it so a certain amount is injected every so often. Also, who's to say that Allomancy needs to be used for fighting in the future. Thugs could be beneficial in other capacities than brawlers. And in the case of machine failure, you can have a manual stock as well.

• Chaos locked this topic