All Atium Alloys are Temporal

Kurkistan

We've had some chats about the possible natures of the Atium alloys, and I just found this tidbit in the interview database:

MARU NUI ()

What would an atium-electrum alloy do in Allomancy?

BRANDON SANDERSON ()

The alloys of atium have various temporal effects.

I'm somewhat surprised by this. Theories up until now--that I know of, at least--have tended to see Atium as merely "reversing" metals, like Gold+Atium seeing someone else's potential lives instead of your own. I've even seem some alluring theories that "pure" Atium is actually an alloy of Electrum.

Oh well, theories are made to be broken. Now we can ground further Atium alloy discussion in this knowledge.

With that in mind, I hereby open the floor for rampant speculation as to the unique temporal effects of the Atium alloys! I'll start us off: What in the name of the Stormfather could temporal Copper do?

I also found a Warbreaker factoid on the same trawl.

Edited by Kurkistan

you can access memories you stored in the future! wait thats feruchemy....

Temporal copper. It could leave copper clouds in your wake or even when you are not burning it. or the copperclound puts you in a copper shaddow. Since copper is all about hiding from allomancy, burn Temporal copper and you leave behind an image of yourself that everyone thinks is you while you are moving ahead of it. Kind of the reverse of an atium shadow.

That way while burning atium-copper people would attack where you had just been. Actually that sounds really cool.

you can access memories you stored in the future! wait thats feruchemy....

Temporal copper. It could leave copper clouds in your wake or even when you are not burning it. or the copperclound puts you in a copper shaddow. Since copper is all about hiding from allomancy, burn Temporal copper and you leave behind an image of yourself that everyone thinks is you while you are moving ahead of it. Kind of the reverse of an atium shadow.

That way while burning atium-copper people would attack where you had just been. Actually that sounds really cool.

The first seems more likely. but how long would the left behind copper cloud last until the user stops burning the metal or last a set amount of time.

The Bronze-Atium alloy could theoretically allow the burner to pick up on previously used alomantic pulses. Something akin to a bloodhound.

Well, the official Table of Allomantic metals has always said about atium: "In alloy form, it produces various expanded mental and temporal effects," so Brandon's wording here is entirely consistent with this.

Ah, but here's a question for you.

Is an alloy OF atium the same as a different metal alloyed WITH atium.

There could quite easily be a difference between 'atium with a little copper' and 'copper with a little atium'.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Well, the official Table of Allomantic metals has always said about atium: "In alloy form, it produces various expanded mental and temporal effects," so Brandon's wording here is entirely consistent with this.

Well I feel sheepish. :(

What if two of the alloys were...time travel. One could send you forward, the other backwards.

Two could affect your age, making you younger and older.

There could be an opposite of atium, where there's an atium trail of where they just were. (useless but a plausible idea)

One could give you visions of the future, or past?

One could even stop time?

one could let you regenerate

What if two of the alloys were...time travel. One could send you forward, the other backwards.

Time travel is unlikely two people existing at once is an issue, but it also violates the law of conservation of energy. time travel forward is almost exactly like Duralumin and cadmium or just cadmium. Even Atium's shadows can be countered and only show likely paths not what will happen in the future. The shards don't appear to actually have a fourth dimensional existence or some way to flow through time. Any shard that noticed this would probably destroy any one who found out due to the potential danger.

Except that we have confirmation that FTL travel is possible with the Metallic Arts, and time travel is one of the potential oddities of FTL. I wouldn't rule it out yet (though I'm generally of the opinion that it will be something more basic than Atium blends).

Time travel is unlikely two people existing at once is an issue, but it also violates the law of conservation of energy. time travel forward is almost exactly like Duralumin and cadmium or just cadmium. Even Atium's shadows can be countered and only show likely paths not what will happen in the future. The shards don't appear to actually have a fourth dimensional existence or some way to flow through time. Any shard that noticed this would probably destroy any one who found out due to the potential danger.

As a possible alternative it could send your mind back or forward, so there still is only one of you. And it could take a huge ammount of investiture to move, so say a large bead of the metal could only send you back a few seconds.

As a possible alternative it could send your mind back or forward, so there still is only one of you. And it could take a huge ammount of investiture to move, so say a large bead of the metal could only send you back a few seconds.

That makes more sense especially considering that the whole time you are being pulled forward in time.

Aluminum with a little atium actually saps metals that you had ingested, in the past, for a time. I have proven this by personal experience. Sometime in the future I will burn a huge dose of this alumtium, because I have not been able to burn anything until then.

EDIT: so I guess that practicaly it allows you to ingest metals again without them being sapped away instantly.

Edited by tecslicer

• 3 years later...

We've had some chats about the possible natures of the Atium alloys, and I just found this tidbit in the interview database:

I'm somewhat surprised by this. Theories up until now--that I know of, at least--have tended to see Atium as merely "reversing" metals, like Gold+Atium seeing someone else's potential lives instead of your own. I've even seem some alluring theories that "pure" Atium is actually an alloy of Electrum.

Oh well, theories are made to be broken. Now we can ground further Atium alloy discussion in this knowledge.

With that in mind, I hereby open the floor for rampant speculation as to the unique temporal effects of the Atium alloys! I'll start us off: What in the name of the Stormfather could temporal Copper do?

I also found a Warbreaker factoid on the same trawl.

Atium+Copper= Shade. Shade mistings can burn this alloy to hide all Cognitive effects, like hearing bronzepulses, or rioting and soothing emotions, from having an effect inside the cloud. limited to the Shade at first, this cloud can be extended further than even a Duralumin fueled Coppercloud.

• Chaos locked this topic