Shadows For Silence in the Forests of Hell

Hey, does anyone know anything about this one? It's Brandon's story in the upcoming DANGEROUS WOMEN anthology edited by George R. R. Martin, who just announced on his blog that they'd just delivered the completed anthology to the editors at Tor, though there's no official publication date yet. I'd seen this title on Brandon's list of upcoming projects, but what was new to me was how long it would be....GRRM said on his blog:

For those who like to lose themselves in long stories, the Brandon Sanderson story, the Diana Gabaldon story, the Caroline Spector story, and my "Princess and Queen" are novellas. Huge mothers.

So a new Brandon novella, likely sometime this year....do we have any idea what world its set on? One we've already seen, or a new Shardworld? I'm assuming its going to be a Cosmere story.

So a new Brandon novella, likely sometime this year....do we have any idea what world its set on? One we've already seen, or a new Shardworld? I'm assuming its going to be a Cosmere story.

Usually I'd say it's dangerous to assume that a new novella or short story is cosmere, as statistically speaking almost all of Brandon's short fiction is not cosmere, but indeed Windrunner speaks true, Shadows for Silence is cosmere. I'm very, very excited to see it in print.

Will there be any new shards introduced in this?

Considering Brandon said it was a minor Shardworld (without even a Hoid appearance), I'd say it isn't one of the ten core Shardworlds. You should temper your excitement about Shardic developments.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So, has anyone heard anything else about this one? I must confess it's grabbing my attention at the moment, at least in part because it looks like it'll be released at exactly the right time to tide me over to Words of Radiance (which Amazon currently has set for Jan 2014). I'm assuming that "novella" means it'll be roughly comparable to Emperor's Soul in length, and the name of the anthology makes me assume that the main character will be female, but has anyone heard any plot/character/magic details yet? The coppermind doesn't have much more than what's already in this thread.

It's more the length of Legion, 18,000 words. And the main character is a woman, with a number of other dangerous women as well.

If Hoid does appear, it's an even more minor cameo than in Alloy of Law, so don't get excited about that aspect. I like the story itself. :)

It's more the length of Legion, 18,000 words. And the main character is a woman, with a number of other dangerous women as well.

If Hoid does appear, it's an even more minor cameo than in Alloy of Law, so don't get excited about that aspect. I like the story itself. :)

Brandon just scribbled 'and Hoid was there too' at the end, didn't he?

About how many words was Emperor's Soul, for reference?

• 4 weeks later...

TOR just released a preview of this - you can find it at http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/07/dangerous-women-brandon-sanderson-excerpt

Other than the (unsurprising) fact that Brandon can create a captivating and interesting world in just a couple of pages, there are only two things of note in the little excerpt: 

• "God Beyond!" is used as the default exclamation (i.e. equivalent to "Oh my god!" in our silly non-Cosmere world). This could hint at something, such as a Shard that (who?) used to be the god of this world and then left, one way or another. No evidence for this whatsoever, just hypothesizing.
  • They say he shook hands with the Evil itself, that he visited the Fallen World and came back with strange powers. He can kindle fire on even the deepest of nights, and no shade will dare come for his soul. Yes, the White Fox."
    Again, we don't know whether anything here refers to out-of-world Cosmere or some local affairs, but it's interesting to note.

Of course we'll have to wait until December...

• 4 months later...

Guess what I just bought for $50... Yes you guessed it Dangerous Woman anthology. Half way through SfSitFoH and it's so good... hopefully better than eating poor student budget blowing for 50 pages of Sanderson awesomeness.

Edited by Iredomi

Yeah I thought so too...but there it was sitting on the shelf screaming at me to buy it and now... I'm savouring every word , hopefully it's cheaper for you guys though. Only interested in Martin and a few others in the anthology.

Edit: Okay well I've finished it now and it was pretty good if somewhat predictable but that happens if you stretch forty or so pages over three days. Wish there was a lot more, the world and characters were so interesting. It seems to be pretty readily available here in New Zealand maybe the British publisher or whoever published it here released it early for some reason .... has anyone else gotten a hold of it?

Edited by Ookla the Iredomitable

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

So, I just got to read the story now, and I just wondered about the last bit, there are Daggon and Earnest sitting and drinking at the end and talking and then there's this bit:

Nearby, a greasy-looking fellow rose from his meal and shuffled out of the front door, looking half drunk already, though it was only noon.

Am I supposed to know who this is? Is that just some kind of atmosphere-building-sentence without meaning? Because if it's the latter, it seems somehow ... absolutely irrelevant for the whole scene?

• Chaos locked this topic