Open call for questions to brandon from tor!

Eerongal

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-

In Warbreaker, is Clod the Lifeless body of Arsteel? I like this idea because Arsteel would have had some breaths within him when he died, as this is how Vashir defeated him and Denth, and this could help explain why he seems to be a little more self-aware than most Lifeless. Could you respond to this idea?

Clod is more self-aware than most Lifeless. There is something left of Arsteel within Clod. The Breaths that Vasher gave him when he killed him do have an effect on this.

Extrapolating on this: the more breaths a person is given right as/before they die, the more of themselves they retain. Then, all it takes is one [deific?] breath to Awaken them. Is this the recipe for a Returned? If so, who is giving them enough breath to let them maintain their core personalities (if not their memories)?

This is a really good theory, actually.  It's hard to say though---I don't think that even holding enough breaths to reach the tenth heightening would make somebody a Returned if they were then turned into a Lifeless.  I can't help but thinking that there must have been an interaction with the divine breath, as well.

We know the Splinter too. He said that the Splinter inside Lightsong is what lets him see the intention of paintings and sometimes see glimpses of the future.

If it's a splinter, maybe using the Skaze together he can see into the future?

I would note that Wyrn's ability to see into the future is pretty dang impressive.  Atium can only see a few seconds, and Lightsong gets only glimpses of things that are almost (but not quite) inevitable.  Wyrn must have something fairly potent to get info as specific as what he got.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, if the symbol on the front cover is a stylized glyph for Windrunning, I suppose that this means that the large circles' glyphs inside the front cover represent the Radiants' powers (Are the Radiants' powers as a group called Surgebinding? Or is that more specific?) and the smaller circles represent the Ten Orders. This lines up with the two powers = one order, and each power is linked to two orders. Though there's some extra lines there, that don't quite fit...

Now if we can just figure out which glyph represents Soulcasting. I suppose if the next book focuses on Shallan we might see (or feel since it's a blind stamp) a sword version of the Soulcasting glyph. But what would we get if he focuses on Dalinar?

Unless Dalinar's visions are a Radiant power. Ooh. I like that idea.

My current theory is that either:

1. Surgebinding and the Radiants are related to Honor, who powers the magic system on the front. Therefore the symbols on the back are a similar system, but one powered by another shard.

or

2. It's related to the traveling/using Shadesmar system that everyone seems to be getting into.

I don't know. The use of 10, a number whose importance is Roshar-specific, leads me to believe number one, but being set right next to a map of Roshar's Shadesmar, which has been confirmed to exist throughout the cosmere leads me to number two.

the ten levels of Voidbinding or its cousin the Old Magic

Sounds like a major contender. ;)

I'm about halfway through my first WoK reread and I'm completely fascinated. I'm a throw-yourself-in-whole-heartedly kind of reader. I mostly read straight through and don't think about theories or predictions as I read, so going back through books is necessary for me to catch all the little stuff.

With three shards on Roshar, there could be up to seven different native magic systems there if the Mistborn and Elantris magic systems hold true. 1 from the interaction of all three shards, 1 each from each different shard, 1 from Odium and honor, 1 from cultivation and odium, and 1 from cultivation and honor.

i know, but how many are on roshar?

I think that's what Link was referring to.

I mean, we already have ten Surges, and if you group two Surges, you get an Order of Radiants, and that combination makes a unique magic on its own. Then we have Voidbinding (whatever that is), Old Magic, the Thrill, etc.

Thirty is quite likely, if you count each Surge separately. (Or maybe Brandon is counting the Radiant Orders as a separate magic, rather than the individual Surge. I don't know if you can have power in a single Surge. It could go either way.)