Earth Years Vs Rosharian Years

Creecher

To distill a complicated subject, each Rosharian year is 500 days. How much would this add to a character's age, vs normal years? On another note, do we know humans on Roshar are the same as humans on earth? Perhaps, as a side effect of Investiture, they have longer lifespans. As I'm too lazy to calculate their actual ages, I'll just add the ones I know here for someone else to do my work for me. Note that the ages below are as of the start of The Way of Kings - not counting the prologue.

EDIT: Correcting the ages. Note that I have been informed days are shorter on Roshar, making the ratio between Rosharian and Earth years 1-1. Sorry about all that

Shallan - 17

Kaladin and Renarin - 19

Adolin - 23

Elhokar - 30-Something

Jasnah - 33

Szeth - 37

Sadeas - 50, as of the start of Words of Radiance

Dalinar - Unknown, presumed 50

Gavilar - Unknown, presumed to be above 50

Edited by TenzinKendrick

Days are shorter on Roshar, thus the canon is one Rosharian year=1.1 Earth years.

What you posted aren't the correct starting ages of the characters at the beginning of WoK. Shallan is 17, Kaladin was still 19 (year older/younger than Renarin, I can't remember which right now), Adolin is 23. I don't remember if Elhokar's age was ever stated, but he should be in his 30s like Jasnah.

So in our years Shallan is almost 19, Adolin is 25, Kal is 22 and so on  

Days are shorter on Roshar, thus the canon is one Rosharian year=1.1 Earth years.

What you posted aren't the correct starting ages of the characters at the beginning of WoK. Shallan is 17, Kaladin was still 19 (year older/younger than Renarin, I can't remember which right now), Adolin is 23. I don't remember if Elhokar's age was ever stated, but he should be in his 30s like Jasnah.

So in our years Shallan is almost 19, Adolin is 25, Kal is 22 and so on  

Thanks; I didn't know days were shorter on Roshar. I'll correct the ages

I don't remember if Elhokar's age was ever stated, but he should be in his 30s like Jasnah.

Elhokar is 8 years younger than Jasnah. Adolin is closer to Elhokar's age than Jasnah is. Kind of makes you wonder what Gavilar and Navani were up to for all those years. Unless they just had fertility problems.

Elhokar is 8 years younger than Jasnah. Adolin is closer to Elhokar's age than Jasnah is. Kind of makes you wonder what Gavilar and Navani were up to for all those years. Unless they just had fertility problems.

Then Elhokar is a lot younger than I originally thought. He's 3 years senior to Adolin according to coppermind, which makes him 26 in WoK and Jasnah is 34. 

May be Gavilar and Navani weren't getting along. She said several timer they had problems. Plus there are ways to prevent pregnancy, they (or one of them) may not have wanted a child for a while after Jasnah; Gavilar could have been away fighting. Not for 7 years, but the reason is probably a combination of all those. 

Adolin's age is not clear. In WoK, he states he was given his Plate on his 16th birthday some 7 years past and in WoR he states he has not reached his 23rd birthday yet. So either Brandon changed his mind or either Adolin is rounding the years up.

Kaladin is 20, not 19.

Elhokar is 27, not 26 according to WoK and Dalinar. Adolin calls him several years his senior. You don't use the term "several years" to describe someone 3 years old, seems excessive. Anyway, it is not what I would use as qualitative. 

I hate the equivalent Earth ages: it makes them way too old for their maturity level and their in-book physical descriptions. I personally picture them as their book age.

Kaladin's birthday (according to him) was when he was a bridgemen, so he starts WoK as 19 years old.

There are birth years on coppermind, which I guess are canon. Though it would be nice to have someone confirm it, because I haven't seen any WoB on this.

Edited by Aleksiel

Kaladin's birthday (according to him) was when he was a bridgemen, so he starts WoK as 19 years old.

There are birth years on coppermind, which I guess are canon. Though it would be nice to have someone confirm it, because I haven't seen any WoB on this.

The Coppermind is not always accurate... 

• Chaos locked this topic