Getting rid of weakness (spoilers)

Sarcasm

I have a brief question about Epic weaknesses,

As an Epic, to truly get rid of your weakness, do you have to constantly face/expose yourself to your weakness, or do you truly have to stop fearing whatever your weakness is?

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in Firefight or not, but any theories or speculations would be awesome! Thanks! :) 

I have a brief question about Epic weaknesses,

As an Epic, to truly get rid of your weakness, do you have to constantly face/expose yourself to your weakness, or do you truly have to stop fearing whatever your weakness is?

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in Firefight or not, but any theories or speculations would be awesome! Thanks! :) 

It isn't mentioned in Firefight, and when asked, Brandon RAFOed it, but my theory is that, since weaknesses are based on fear, removing a weakness is possible, but it takes time, just as it takes time to get over a fear. Facing a fear removes the corruption, but I think weaknesses continue to affect the Epic in question for some time after the fear is faced, though in proportionately lesser amounts as the fear is gradually conquered. I don't know if this requires the Epic to continually face their weakness, or if it's something that fades naturally over time, but I do think losing a weakness is possible. Like losing any other fear, I think it's a process. Calamity might prove me wrong, but that's my theory for now. :) 

It isn't mentioned in Firefight, and when asked, Brandon RAFOed it, but my theory is that, since weaknesses are based on fear, removing a weakness is possible, but it takes time, just as it takes time to get over a fear. Facing a fear removes the corruption, but I think weaknesses continue to affect the Epic in question for some time after the fear is faced, though in proportionately lesser amounts as the fear is gradually conquered. I don't know if this requires the Epic to continually face their weakness, or if it's something that fades naturally over time, but I do think losing a weakness is possible. Like losing any other fear, I think it's a process. Calamity might prove me wrong, but that's my theory for now. :)

funny-puns-i-had-to-google-headcanon-for

It certainly makes sense given what we know of weaknesses, and more importantly it fits thematically with their link to fear.

I wonder if it's possible for a weakness to change if the first fear is conquered. I mean if Megan also has a fear of hammers after that one time her brother tried juggling tools over her head, is it possible that her powers would start failing around hammers after she completely removed her fire weakness?

...Could Calamity, in some twisted way, be trying to force humanity to face its collective fears? :blink:

funny-puns-i-had-to-google-headcanon-for

It certainly makes sense given what we know of weaknesses, and more importantly it fits thematically with their link to fear.

I wonder if it's possible for a weakness to change if the first fear is conquered. I mean if Megan also has a fear of hammers after that one time her brother tried juggling tools over her head, is it possible that her powers would start failing around hammers after she completely removed her fire weakness?

...Could Calamity, in some twisted way, be trying to force humanity to face its collective fears? :blink:

I'd be inclined to say no, just because it seems as though Calamity uses one specific fear--the strongest fear--to grant powers. When David conquered his water fear, it appeared as though Calamity's hands were tied. If a weakness could change, I think he'd just say "No worries" and use David's fear of street mimes. (But that does make me question why Calamity didn't use that fear in the first place. Fear of street mimes is the strongest and most essential fear any human can possess. :P)

....perhaps, but if so, he isn't doing a very good job of it. He's less like a calm and patient parent teaching a child to swim through lessons and encouragement, and more like a drunk uncle who tosses the kid into a lake and returns in an hour to see if he'll be on the news that evening. :wacko:

• Chaos locked this topic