Armless Shardbearing?

If a Full Shardbearer lost both their arms, what would they still be capable of doing with their Shards? Also, would the arms being lost normally vs severed by Shardblade change things?

For Plate, obviously they could still wear their Plate and be protected/strengthened by it, but what would happen with the arms & gloves?

My best guesses:

-They hang there uselessly

-They are usable through mental commands (like when Adolin wills a glove to disconnect)

-The arms shrink into the shoulder sockets forming a super-dense layer of armor

As for the Blade, it could still be summoned, but then what? It appears in the bearer's HAND, which does not exist... Would it appear where their hand should be, and then immediately evaporate? Appear touching the bearer's shoulder, then fall to the ground? Or if the Plate arms are present, would the Blade appear in the Plate hand?

A normal shardbearer would presumably be screwed. Dead Shardblades are giant swords and they don't have enough limbs to use them any more. A surgebinder with a living Blade would probably be able to summon it as a prosthetic arm, though, if they couldn't just regenerate the limb.

A normal shardbearer would presumably be screwed. Dead Shardblades are giant swords and they don't have enough limbs to use them any more. A surgebinder with a living Blade would probably be able to summon it as a prosthetic arm, though, if they couldn't just regenerate the limb.

Shardarms: for when you REALLY need to win that arm-wrestling competition.

Or, when they have time, grow the arm back.

As for the Blade, it could still be summoned, but then what? It appears in the bearer's HAND, which does not exist... Would it appear where their hand should be, and then immediately evaporate? Appear touching the bearer's shoulder, then fall to the ground? Or if the Plate arms are present, would the Blade appear in the Plate hand?

Blades are from the Cognitive, and so they (almost definitely) appear where the wielder expects them to.  Learning how to swordfight without arms would be, well, nearly impossible--but if they managed, they could certainly retrain their brain to expect the Blade to appear elsewhere (their feet, with toes gripping the hilt; perhaps their mouth; I don't know.)

If they have the Plate as well, and work at it, then it seems likely to be able to have the Blade appear in the Plate hand regardless.  It seems pretty clear that there's a Cognitive connection to a 'whole body' for people who were born that way--see phantom limb syndrome from those that have lost said limb.  So, if your arm gets lopped off, but you're wearing a suit of power armor Plate that has an arm and hand even though you're missing one, then yeah--the Blade you materialize out of nowhere is going straight into that gauntlet.  And then hanging uselessly, because you still can't move the arm because you don't have one.

you could still lend it to a friend. 

Or try wielding it with your mouth.....

Could you though? In order for a Blade to persist, it first has to be Summoned, then Commanded to persist after being dropped. If the Blade appears in open air where the hand SHOULD be, the Blade would instantly mist out before it could be commanded to persist, meaning the only way to retrieve the Blade would be the death of the Bearer.

PS: I love the visual I get when I try to imagine mouth wielding...

WOR Spoiler 

Could a spren turn into a Shardblade not in the bearer's hand? That could have some dangerous implications.

Good question. The only reason I can think that the answer would be "no" is that the Spren use the (humans) mind/body to perform some type of Cognitive to Physical realm transit, such that a Shardblade is a Spren more in the Physical Realm than normal. This would explain why they have weight, momentum, and are solid to the touch

(hope I did that spoiler tag right... first time trying to use one)

• 7 months later...

Its possible that if a shard plate bearer lost one or both arms and only stubs of shoulders that the upper part of the armor would start molding its self to cover the holes. 

Blades are from the Cognitive, and so they (almost definitely) appear where the wielder expects them to.  Learning how to swordfight without arms would be, well, nearly impossible--but if they managed, they could certainly retrain their brain to expect the Blade to appear elsewhere (their feet, with toes gripping the hilt; perhaps their mouth; I don't know.)

If they have the Plate as well, and work at it, then it seems likely to be able to have the Blade appear in the Plate hand regardless.  It seems pretty clear that there's a Cognitive connection to a 'whole body' for people who were born that way--see phantom limb syndrome from those that have lost said limb.  So, if your arm gets lopped off, but you're wearing a suit of power armor Plate that has an arm and hand even though you're missing one, then yeah--the Blade you materialize out of nowhere is going straight into that gauntlet.  And then hanging uselessly, because you still can't move the arm because you don't have one.

When you really think about it, if we are talking about a Radiant instead of a human, they would regrow the limb automatically. Kaladin, being a Windrunner, does not have the surge of Progression, yet he can still heal the Shardblade wound that I believe severed his arm. All KRs have the ability to heal to a certain extent. If their arm is severed, by a Shardblade or not, they will heal. And in the case they don't, a Radiant with the surge of Progression could heal their arm for them. I'm going out on a "limb" if you know what I mean. :D

Apparantly, Stormlight can heal what you think it can heal. If you think it can heal anything, it can. If you think it can heal anything but a Shardblade wound, then if you were in Kaladin's situation, the arm wouldn't come back. It can probably always heal relatively minor wounds, though.

• Chaos locked this topic