Caton: Second path

Satsuoni

Alfie rolled around in pain, coming in and out of consciousness as bits of him were prodded and poked. At one point he felt metal being put in his mouth. He weakly tried to swallow but nothing happened. Then his mind flashed pretty colors for a while till he felt an oily sensation in his mouth.

He could sense his body, feel the pains, but felt disconnected. Like he wasn't himself. He was floating around above himself in a world of colored explosions. He had seen what he had known was red a while ago. Since his transformation he had been seeing different colors in the world, things he had never seen before. Back in the past blood and grass had looked the same to him. Now as his own blood splattered his fur he could very much tell the difference.

He sensed the pools of power returning to him. He tried to grasp his electrum and burn it, but the pool seemed to be a million miles away.

He opened his eyes. That much was possible. A blurred world floated above him. He twitched his paw, and limply placed it on Satsu's hand. Then, the pain overwhelming him again, he floated back to the world of exploding colors.

Hmm.. that wasn't very good. Apparently, he stopped burning Electrum again. I checked his spikes - they were fine, although one of the metal-giving was displaced slightly. I've put it back in the proper position, and carefully probed internal organs and checked the eyes.

Internal bruising, from what I could tell, but not too much, and concussion, if such word could be applied to a Cat Inquisitor. The head spikes were most important, and they were well secured, but could still jostle the brain. Or what remained of it in immediate proximity. Which seemed to be what happened here...

I put Alfie back on the table. He needed rest... and also pewter or gold, which he did not have. I retrieved some medicine from the cabinet that should help him with internal damage some, and replaced the splint on the leg. For now, that was all I could do... Or was it?

I considered this idea for a while. Then removed my shirt and cut through my shoulder before I could think any better. There was a pain, but pain was a constant in my life, so I ignored it for now. There, along one of my upper ribs and dipping into the shoulder was a spike, clamped around and screwed into the bone. It did not go through any vital organ, but neither was it designed for easy removal. From the toolbox with my surgical supplies I have recovered a driver. It was a painful, awkward work, one that I didn't dare burn Pewter to relieve, but after half and hour I have managed to extract the spike - more like a strip, really, bent and twisted -without damaging myself overmuch. I stemmed the bleeding, after my head cleared somewhat, but didn't stitch a wound yet, since I planned to have my spike back. Then I carefully detected a bind point close to the cat's skin, applied some anesthetic and inserted the pointy end here. Alfie had enough of Pewter already inside.

His breathing eased. Just in case, I've fed him a bit more pewter, and he seemed to fall into a more restful sleep rather than unconsciousness.

A green expanse swum in front of him, in his head he was sure. A host cats fled across the plains from some unnamed enemy. He was among them, darting from rock to rock away from the ever pursuing foe.

In time he slowed. They attacked, ripping into him. Biting and slashing his flesh.

He lay there on the grass. He felt someone manoevere something in his head. Bright lights flashed around him and for a moment his mind vanished into its old panicked helpless self, frightened and scared with no idea of what to do. Then his mind was secured again.

He could feel he was in a dream. He knew it, instinctively. He dreamed but they never felt natural to him. He was dreaming as a human and it wasn't at all right to him, like a fantasy world that just didn't seem real to him. His old masters had books of that. Stories about the religions of Harmony, each made magical, of a world where you could push and pull color by burning your soul. Crazy talk. He tried to access his metals again but felt that strange block.

He was on the edge of awakeness but everything was sore and paralysed. Perhaps the sleep paralysis blocked him from burning his metals?

His mind swam out again, away from awareness. He swam deep in the sea of his mind. Till something pulled him back. A new metal. This one called out to be burnt, demanded it. The twin of tin. Pewter. He touched it and felt a warmth through his body. His pains lessened, his aches vanished. He felt his flesh right itself and grow tougher. With the constant pain lessened he fell freely into sleep.

Alfie seemed to be doing fine, though he needed rest now. I needed some too, since removing the spike was rarely pleasant. Out of habit, I tried to burn pewter, but of course nothing happened. To distract myself, I increased the amount of tapped Investiture.

I have bandaged the spike to Alfie's body, since I was going to have it back after he recovered, and tried to gather my thoughts.

Whatever wounded Alfie so was going to pay if I had my way, though I rather hoped I didn't have to resort to the gauntlet for that. But he had to tell me who it was first, and by the looks of it he was going to sleep for quite a while.

Suppressing a yowl of pain, I rose from the char near operating table, in a room set up for such emergencies, both human and cat. I had to study anatomy extensively, and while I was not a professional medic, I did have access to some resources few other medics did, namely Hemalurgy.

I briefly wondered about the explanation I should give to my butler about the wound, but then decided against doing any explaining. He will note it, undoubtedly, but was usually too well-mannered to ask directly,nya. I have resolved to have cats check up on him afterwards.

With that, I left the room and proceeded to my study.

It was growing late in the day, and I still had some work to do. For instance, I had to determine which pieces of technology did I already own, and which of the missing pieces I could get through my contacts discreetly. As well as what cats currently in Elendel would be willing to check if this discreetness was enforced... That should distract me from pain, which was getting annoying.

Alfie rested relaxed, the pewter burning soothing his aches and healing him. As the hours stretched on he could almost feel his scabs vanishing and the bones coming into place.

After a while he felt a sharp hunger. He got up, swaying awkwardly. His leg hurt a lot but by burning pewter he felt strong enough to walk on it. He walked a little further. He was very purposely not burning any tin. He could still feel a lot of pains deep within him and he didn't want to pull them out. He felt a lot better. He supposed he should feel traumatized from the beatings and the walk he had taken, or exhausted, but the pewter seemed to make everything better. All the pains vanished beneath the strength it brought and he felt like he'd never need sleep again.

Just beyond him he saw a mouse. Silently and swiftly he crept up on it. Then with a leap he jumped on it and smushed it with his paw. In an explosion of blood and gore the mouse's organs were forced out of it and it exploded beneath his hand. He was a lot stronger. He smiled, shrugged, and got to eating his catch.

A little while later he reached Satsu. He paced behind him and tugged at his clothes to get his attention then spoke.

"Thank you for saving me. I couldn't have made it much further and would have died horribly. You are awesome. I was going to bring you a prize in thanks but-" He waved his hand at his mouse blood splattered face- "It exploded. So I shall tell you what happened so you can avoid the Terris. In the warehouse they are shipping a great deal of goods, metal, drugs, medicine, food, prostitutes, feruchemical inventions, and rare metals. They may be contacting you for aid in that. They are using it to start a major mining operation and try to gain a large profit-" He relayed some more details on that, on the new inventions they were using to boost their output-"Oh and, they are working with house Yomen to do this. They have bribed local officials to look the other way." Alfie paused. His throat was getting sore. It didn't feel natural for him to say so many words. He coughed, shivered as his bones twisted a bit, and continued.

"I was attacked by a tin burning mercenary of theirs before I got a chance to learn much more. They have a lot of guards. I don't think I was the first cat she'd hurt."

"Hiss, that is not well. If the operation is that large, eliminating that particular Terrisman may not be an option."

I blink, considering.

"By the way, I'll be wanting that spike back when you heal sufficiently, nya. Maybe in a day or two. Walking around with a hole in the shoulder is highly aggravating. In the meanwhile, keep burning and try not to disturb bandages too much. It is not fixed securely. I am glad it helped you, but I am thinking I need to include Pewter in basic phenotype."

"Terrismen may contact me, you say? Did they say anything else, like something that indicated they suspect my involvement? Probably not, or you would have mentioned it. Excuse me for a moment."

I hiss slightly and reach towards the shelf with some medicaments, selecting a jar giving off a strong smell of cloves. Not the best smell for the cat, but my human part still liked them, and this particular concoction worked well as a local numbing agent. I smeared it on my shoulder and rebandaged it with some difficulty. Constant attempts of my body to burn Pewter for pain relief were distracting. The pain lessened to ignorable levels, and I continued.

"Looks like we may be able to get away with taking a book if we hold off using what we learned for a little while, and build up some reputation by providing them with metal, with only slightly inflated price for secrecy, if they want it."

"This, however brings us to the next problem... Before that, you may want to replenish your proper metals and pewter" - I nod at the lab table nearby - "In the meanwhile, please consider if you want me to pursue revenge on that woman for her hurting you, and in what form, if so."

Alfie nodded at Satsu's words.

"It looked like a massive operation, with a lot of security. They'd raise a big fuss."

Alfie shifted his shoulder a bit, and sat down, eyes up and attentive to Satsu's words.

"Thank you for the spike. I fear the pain of the removal a lot," Alfie shivered "but you can use the Pewter better than me so I guess it must happen. They said they needed some nicrosil for the feruchemical miners. You were on their list of people to buy from. The famed metallurgist of rare metals. They don't sound like they have much interest in people's hobbies or morals as long as they get what they want."

He saw Satsu put on the goo. Probably an antidisease agent of some sort. The injury must be pretty bad. He shook his head and focused again, and went to replenish his metals as Satsu had said. Pewter tasted nice. A bit stronger than the other metals.

"Capturing the golden man you mean? It might be hard until I am healed up, unless we call in backup."

He looked down at the mention of the woman, twisting his feet back and forth.

"I don't want to fight her directly again. Perhaps you could tell the Terris, if they visit, that she approached you about selling some nicrosil secrets? They could deal with her.

"Nya... Yes, that is going to be problematic. I was going to check out that place, Inquisitor's spike, but without pewter and with a hole in my shoulder my fighting options, in case something happens - and in such place, that is likely enough - are rather limited. You need to recover, too. I'll try to call in resident backup for initial assessment of the place, but in the meanwhile we better rest."

"As for a woman, if the Terris approach me, I'll try to mention her. I may also try to implicate her in the book disappearance, though I am not sure about the feasibility of that yet. Actually knowing what she looks like might help, though, so please describe her. Still, the option of killing her is there. I'll circulate her description, just in case."

I replaced the ointment on the shelf. It was working nicely, but was a temporary solution, and there was still the matter of a curious emptiness in the place where my pewter reserves were.

"Are you still hungry? I know pewter takes the edge off that, but you will still need resources to recover, though somewhat less. I know I am, nya, so I am going to order dinner soon. I am sure Finnar is going to have it ready."

And he is going to ask questions, so I better conceal the wound, so it's extent is not obvious.

"If Terrismen swallow our lies about that guard we may get to use advanced technology from the book sooner that I thought" - I note, as I ring the bell for my butler.

"I agree, any pub where criminals go to have fun is likely to be dangerous. They'd probably pounce on you faster than I would pounce on a meaty looking bird" Alfie fake pounced. "With a broken leg, looking succulant. I don't feel tired though. I feel like a chase."

The woman...

"Short brown hair shoulder length, held in a red scarf. Quite curly, frisky. The scarf had a second scarf, blue and red, hanging out from it. She had a number of medallians on her neck, made of gold, iron, steel, electrum, nicrosil, pewter, several other metals I couldn't recognise, all held with a red ribbon. She had a white dress with the legs cut off and a red corset. Her face was... facey. I can picture it clearly but I don't know what differences you consider signifigant. She had a ring on her finger made of electrum."

gypsy74.jpg

(OOC the medallians are feruchemically charged discs from a variety of terris people she had trysts with. The ring is from her first lover, a rather bipolar individual. It holds a very strong charge. Her greatest dream, likely never to be fulfilled, is to be able to use them. She hopes that by holding them close to her she will be changed into a feruchemist and tries to fill a metal mind every night.)

"She also had a very distinctive scar on her face. A gash from just above her left eye to her forehead. Not much meat on her bones." He thought of food and licked his lips hungrily.

"Why yes I am hungry how did you guess? May I steal some of your food?"

Edited by Nepene

"That is a very detailed description... Good, good. That will add veracity to our tale. Ah, here comes Finnar. Do try to pretend you are not eating metals or talking."

Indeed, there is a knock on the door just as I finish talking.

"Is that you, Finnar? Do come in."

"Yes, master. Did you call me? I took the liberty of arranging a small dinner, as you usually partake of it at about this time."

And has never complained about it being cold, either, but of course he wouldn't mention that.

"Thank you Finnar."

I notice him staring at me, or more precisely, my shoulder, uncomfortably.

"Is there something you want to ask?"

"Yes, Sir. Is there something wrong with your shoulder?"

"A small accident in the lab... Nothing you should be concerned about, I think. I shall consult with a doctor if it gets worse. Now where is that dinner? And please prepare something for Alfie, here."

Finnar shook his head, unsatisfied, but retreated with "It will be right up, sir."

"Well," - I addressed Alfie again - "Now you won't have to steal my food, since you will have yours, nya. "

"Well then, should we discuss the abilities of the Cats best suited for infiltration of that tavern before or after Finnar comes back with food? I'll then ask around to see what resources are actually available."

Alfie watched the food as it came in. He swayed, mesmerized by the redness of the meat, the smell of the juices the way the fur rustled in the wind, the... he stopped burning steel and he saw his image of electrum. His mind really was good at filling in the gaps.

"Thank you for the food. I am really hungry. And on who we should send, does it matter much? As long as they have tin they could listen from the roof easily enough."

The meal has arrived, containing a steak for me and a smaller, rawer bits of meat for Alfie. Briefly, I wondered what about the reason a cat could retain metals almost as long as a human, that with their digestive tracts being that much shorter, then put it out of my mind.

As usual, Finnar bowed himself away after depositing a fresh pile of reports on my table. I sighed inwardly.

I considered as I ate. There were about fifteen CI agents in the city of Elendel, the highest concentration of sentient cats anywhere on Scadrial to my knowledge. Most of them were more or less dormant, only reporting rarely, when they came to refill rarer metals, and of course, they didn't have anybody to report to while I was at my mansion. They lived, as cats would in many ways, some ruling over their territories, some preferring freedom of anonymity, all collecting data in one way or another. I cared about them, yet I knew that caton should be able to go on without me.

Still, most cats must have heard about my arrival, and I knew that at least five of them would do as I ask. Not all of them had tin, though.

The meal passed in silence,and by the end of it, I have decided. She would do nicely. Her territory was not too far from the tavern, so she might have some information already. She also had tripartite tin compounding, a strange but powerful choice, though additional Human attribute made her change, somehow,nya, I was still not sure. Three tins, two steels and mental fortitude to process the deluge of information. I'll have to contact her, tonight.

Meal done, I have informed Alfie of my plans and busied myself with reports, waiting for the darkness to come.

Alfie lept on the food, scattering it from side to side. He quickly devoured every scrap he could find, incredibly hungry. Soon he ran out, going towards the kitchen looking for more. He found now that he could eat a lot more as a cat. It also took way longer to digest things. Something had changed inside of him. No idea what it was. He went around a corner, his steel pushes keeping weight off his weak leg at all times.

Eventually he reached the kitchen. There was a woman there, cleaning dishes and washing. Perfect. Right on the edge of a table was a plate. He was sure he could reach it. He silently swung his head around, looking for anyone nearby. No one was. Also perfect. He bound up onto the table and picked up the plate in his mouth. Then he lept away from the table, using steel to slow his floor. He sprinted off with the plate, going to find a room to hide in. They he consumed more delicious foods, happy at his prize.

Alfie soon returned to Satsu, almost finished with his meal. He paced up to him and went to his feet, curling up in front of them. Soon he fell asleep, to the melodic voice of plans and missions and went into the world of dreams. He dreamed of floating golden spikes and beer mugs.

The night is here. The pain in my shoulder has devolved to a persistent throb, but the bleeding has stopped, and increased Investiture sense distracts me enyagh. Alfie sleeps peacefully, only stirring a little as I free my legs. He seems well on the mend. I leave the building, nodding to the guard. It may not be safe to walk the streets of Elendel at night, but that us acceptable risk. Still, I swallow some of the metal paste, even if normally I can't burn any except Nicrosil.

I reach her area without incident, and settle to wait. About a minute later she appears from the shadows, her superior senses warning her of my approach. For a few moments we stare at each other, me motionless, her sometimes changing positions in a blur of motion.

She is Siamese, with two golden eyes, lacking traditional eye spike in favour of tin and normal steel. Those eyes bulge slightly now, indicating Tin tapping. Despite the shadows deep enough that I have trouble seeing, her pupils are closed as far as they would go.

Additional Human spikes didn't leave her unchanged. The eyes and ears are much larger than it is normal for her breed, her paws also appearing deformed. A feral from birth, she has no name pronounceable by a human, electing to be addressed by a cat's thrill.

"Satsu" she whispers, and I return the greeting as quietly as I could.

She continues to stare as I outline my question, then nods, a rather incongruous human gesture.

I bring out a packet of tin and meat. She rarely visits the safe house, and I am not sure how she supplies herself.

After accepting the packet, she starts to speak.

"I know of the inquisitors spike, as it is close enough for me to hear from my place"

She closed her eyes as she considered.

"I may want Health... later. You would want the gang that was recently appropriated by a Connector who calls himself Harmony. He merged several separate gangs and replies heavily on metallic arts. He smells of metal... Come tomorrow night. Food is welcome."

With that, she was gone, my eyes barely registering a blur.

Well, that was fruitful. For obvious reasons, she preferred solitude and high places, but she was good at what she did, though combat was not part of it. Sanity was never a requirement for us...

An additional day would be good for recovery. I returned to my house, to the relief of the guard, and went to sleep.

Edited by Satsuoni

Alfie had little to contribute. Tired and drained he stayed inside and rested, on occasion sneaking out to eat and feed.

Briefly waking up, he decided to go to his room for some personal items. A little alcove way under the building, through a long and thin passageway, where some emergency metals were stored along with anything you had retrieved from a mission that you had to analyse. He had some personal affects moved here a while back, when he was training. He wasn't sure if this place was part of the original building or had been dug out by cats, but it helped a lot having some place where no humans could visit.

He picked up his original collar, the one he had worn back when he wasn't quite as smart. With a little effort he managed to put it on. He wanted to remember what it had been like when he lived with his family.

He closed his eyes and began to relive a memory. Cuddling a little girl. Warm and soft skin. He wondered why humans lacked fur. Maybe they liked being able to change clothes at will. She was wearing a beautiful and fair dress, a long green masterpiece which someone had clearly spent a lot of money on. It felt like water lapping against his fur. He heard a voice.

"Something wicked comes this way, to cut up that pretty dress and cut her up into pieces."

That wasn't... the spike lady. Not wanting to deal with this right now he shook off the collar and went upstairs to ask Satsu how his scouting had gone.

He was almost healed too. Perhaps the healing went faster for the much smaller cats, with pewter. He might ask if he could get the spike removed. The pain should block out his memories.

Edited by Nepene

The day began rather uneventfully. Alfie walked up to me asking about my nightly foray, and I told him all about her words. He seemed strangely agitated at the mention of Harmony, and I seemed to recall him talking about it before. I have checked up on his wounds, and confirmed that the bone was indeed knitting rapidly. I resolved to remove the spike in the evening. Also, I was goinya to introduce Alfie to her and vice versa, so I told him about some precautions he should be aware about.

"Well, I think you should meet her today. There are a few things you should remember. One. She is tin Savant that has tin sense enhancement spike and Feruchemic tin stores. Her hearing is extremely acute, and I suspect that she is now tetrachromat. For this reason she prefers darkness, and when you talk to her, talk in as close to whisper as you can manage, though I know your voicebox may not be very good for it. The light of the day is barely bearable to her, and she can hear almost everything in her territory, so speech close by is the loudest shout. Don't expect to talk long.

These senses, however, is why she is so good at information gathering, along with increased memory and processing from Mental strength. She just has to sit and listen, at considerable distance."

My speech was interrupted by a knock on the door, and Finnar's voice. Strange. I didn't call him. I nodded at Alfie and called him in.

"Sir. A terrisman Sindred here to see you, without appointment, but his references are good. Apparently it is something about ordering Nicrosil. He has brought a single female guard. Do you want to meet with them here or in the meeting room?"

[ooc]Brain still mush... Sorry about grammar.[/ooc]

Edited by Satsuoni

He felt slightly agitated at the mention of Harmony. He wasn't sure why. Surely he didn't know this person...

"I shall whisper or let her lip read me. I know how tough it can be with enhanced senses and would not want to hurt her. I am thankful for her gathering information."

Alfie paused.

"I've noticed with my pewter that tin hurts a lot less when I am burning it. You should make pewter a default spike. It really does help with a lot of things."

He listened carefully to the talk on the newcomer.

"A woman? She might be the lady. I should hide." He looked quickly for an exit.

I glanced at Alfie. He barely waited for the butler to leave, and I was nearly sure I heard his steps falter outside. I wondered if he heard enough to identify the voice. Well, that was over and done now. I doubted he would think of a talking cat anyway.

"I am not going to meet them here. Customers, especially first time customers, are met in the room arranged for the purpose. Arrangements include a hidden door for the guard and another peephole is in the corridor nook, closer to the floor if you want to watch. The coppercloud is in the house, and Susan is instructed to burn when unknown guests are in. Still, if the woman is tineye, you should be careful while moving around, or she'll notice you."

I stood up, and changed my glasses to a darker version. We should be careful not to bae our teeth on these guests, nya. I took a few breaths to calm down,

and went down to the meeting room.

Soon after, Finnar appeared, showing way to the two people. I recognized the woman from the description, and Terrisman seemed to be the same as in the train, though I didn't get a good look at him then. So, his name was Sindred. Well, well, well. This was not good. My reading of human expressions was rusty, but I thought he recognized me, too. Nyaaa... Will he challenge me? He has no proof that I had the book, and most of the evidence was destroyed. Let's see.

"Mr. Sindred, I am Satsu. Pleased to meet you." I keep my voice as normal as I can.

"Would you please take a seat?"

I address my butler, waiting expectantly near the doorway.

"Finnar, please provide refreshments. Tea would be good, I believe. And samples."

Sindred nodded at me politely, and sat near the table, with me sitting on the opposite side.

The guard, still without introducing herself, eyed me suspiciously and declined my offer with a shake of her head and stood not far from the door.

"So, while we wait for refreshments, could you outline the reason for your visit, Mr. Sindred?"

"Mr. Satsu." - Terrisman inclined his head politely. I didn't like the way the woman kept glancing on my glasses.

"I have heard you are one of the finest providers of rarer alloys in Elendel. I would like to talk to you about ordering a shipment of nicrosil. Still, the reputation is well and good, but I would also like to arrange for a testing before the order."

So. No talk about the book. Well. Such things were not really mentioned in the polite society.

[ooc]You can move in the position, or go explore the city or their site :) I'll add more dialogue tomorrow[/ooc]

Alfie paced back and forth. He remembered her feet slamming into his side, the sound as his joint was wrenched out. He didn't want to risk that again. He didn't want to have his bones cracked and smashed like his masters by some ruffian. He rubbed his head with his paw, smoothing the fur.

Alfie found his way to the hidden passage, to the peephole, and watched carefully. He would watch and make sure she wasn't coming to stab him. Satsu was brave to confront her.

The woman was looking very carefully around. Alfie had no need of an actual peephole- his metals let him see through walls quite easily. But he could still hear her through the walls, looking at everything ready to bounce. He hoped she wouldn't try anything. The best way to avoid trouble was to be far away. Never confront anyone. Never tattle.

"A testing, you say. You are planning to use it for Metallic arts, is that correct? It is rarely used for anything else, far too expensive. Though in my line of work, I have heard about using it for small, durable metal constructs and even for some electricity research. Fascinating alloy, really."

I reach into my inner pocket, noting the tense posture of the guard - what are you afraid of? A gun? - and withdraw a small sample box, containing several nicrosil beads. I swallow one, causing Terrisman to startle slightly, and profer the box to him.

"As a Nicroburst myself, I assure you that my Nicrosil if of finest Allomantic quality. But you can of course run your own tests. This one box is on me, as a token of our possible partnership."

I can hear the purring notes enter my voice. Cats are master manipulators, capable of using their voiceboxes to produce frequencies affecting human emotions with no allomancy, and it helps it such cases. I suppress a meow which wouldn't. A strange experience, and the one that causes us to feel dissonance between our identities. I burn Nicrosil.

Terrisman regained his composure almost instantly, though the guard - still not named. Should I ask? - now concentrated all her attention on me.

"Mr Satsu, I understand that you are more than a Nicroburst, rare enough as that might be. I have heard from realiable sources that you are something much more - a Compounder, though I fail to detect obvious metalminds. You should really consider going to Tathingdwel. The opportunity is much greater there, and you could participate in the most advanced Feruchemy research there."

I suppress a small shudder. My last memories of Tathingdwel were not pleasant. I smile, without opening my mouth overmuch.

"Your sources are quite good, Mr. Sindred. I may consider this. Still, I try not to advertise my abilities much, and I would appreciate your discretion."

"Would you appreciate it enough to give us bulk discount?"

"Maybe" - depending on what I learn about you. There are layers within your speech that I know nothing about, and I don't like the looks of that guard. An accident would be most fortunate. - "Depending on the amount and order particulas, of course."

My purr is back.

We continue in this vein for a while, exchanging pleasantries, and in the end, deciding on the next, more formal meeting and samples of other, non-Allomantic alloys to be prepared. No mention of the book, or anything improper. As our talks conclude, I rise up and ring for Finnar to see my guests out.

They bow out, woman once again shooting me a suspicious glance, and I am left alone in the room.

Having learnt his lesson from the earlier incident, Alfie carefully remains hidden in the space till he is sure the group has left. He doesn't want to be surprised when the tin woman comes back because she left her glasses here.

The guests left without accident. I had no doubt that Terrisman, at least, suspected my involvement in the book theft, but apparently he decided to let it slide for now. The rest of the day was routine, with the exception of the spike being removed from Alfie's skin and replaced into my shoulder. After the servants settled down for the night, I prepared to head out, and instructed Alfie to do likewise.

Alfie rubbed his sore shoulder. After a while of having spikes removed you gained some resistance to it, but it still felt horrible. "Let's go and get them. My metals are ready. My muscles are strong. My electrum burns dark. Hopefully we are safe from the Terris now. They might try to track us."

This is the result of an irc chat between me and Satsu that went on entirely too long given our responsibilities, and was totally awesome and fun.

Everything was in order, nya. The meat, tin and steel pellets packed. Servants seemed to be asleep. I also took a revolver loaded with bullets of different metals, just in case. I wasn't a very good shot.

On the opposite side of the house, Alfie burnt each of his metals in turn. Steel for strength. Electrum for vision. Zinc for rage. Tin for hearing. Brass for soothing. All were ready. He gripped his coin tight in his hand. Before he had left, before the incident had happened he had been playing with his master's children, returning coins for them. He had taken this coin all the way from over there... He walked through the house up to Satsu and rubbed his face against his foot, speaking softly. “You ready yet?

I responded quickly. "I am ready, nya. Just remember to speak quietly. I leave the house, leading the way." I took out a map and showed Alfie where we were going, the spike in the sixth octant.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2411/elendelcaton.png

Alfie followed at Satsu's heel, walking behind him, not speaking. He didn't want to be caught. He felt a lot more confident in Satsu's company though. He gripped the coin in his hand tightly.

As we move through the alleyways, I notice a few shadow figures in the deeper shadows. So far, they just seem to take my measure.

Alfie burnt tin to better see the figures, and whether they have guns or weapons. He trusted Satsu to protect himself, but didn't want to get caught in the middle of a gun fight.

Several of the figures had knifes, one had a shabby gun. They were not organized, just street hoodloooms so far. This is not the best place in town.

Alfie mrowed out a warning. "Mrow mrow mrow" (some danger, no aggression.)

I move my clothing so that my revolver would be more clearly visible in the feeble light of failing street lamps. Some of the figures seem to slink into the shadows.

Alfie walked proudly down the alleyway, confident that these people were too scared to attack them.

Some seem to become more hostile, but seem to think better than to attack

Alfie noticed a few of the men huddle together and move away into alleyway, speaking quietly

Alfie burns electrum, and asks his future self what he would hear had he gone to hear their words. He didn't want to go away from Satsu and get mugged but he was curious what they were saying.

His conversation to his future self was limited, but essentially "Let's go tell the boss"

Alfie relayed this to Satsu as best he could in cat. "Men are going to talk to boss man about me."

As I listen to Alfie's words, I start burning pewter, revelling in returned power. However, his words alarm me somewhat. "About you specifically, or us?” They shouldn't have been alarmed by Alfie...

Alfie paused for a moment and thought. He wasn't used to speaking cat and there was no word for us in cat. They were solitary creatures. "About the group of you and me."

"I see. Probably off to report that armed and rich guy is wandering dark streets alone." I look around. The last of the figures seem to be going now, but I can't be sure. "Could you look around and see if they left anybody to trail us?"

Alfie assents, and burns tin carefully, looking all around and listening carefully. The place looked brighter than day to him with his tin.

There was indeed a guy in the far shadows looking at us intently. He seemed to be able to see well enough. Alfie softly burnt zinc and strengthened the man's curiosity. He mrowed to Satsu that they were being watched.

The man cautiously moves closer.

Alfie wanted the man to reveal himself to Satsu.

Alfie kept burning his zinc, and ever so lightly burnt brass to dampen any aggression the man was feeling.

I try not to look in the direction Alfie indicated, and listen carefully. I can hear a man, but pretend to be oblivious to draw him closer. I consider the course of action. "Some small amount of intimidation seems in order"

Keeping his burn on, Alfie waited for Satsu to do something, ready to support whatever he said with his metals.

"I flare Pewter and feed it with Investiture, as I estimate the man to be close enough. I turn and move, quickly, before he can react, stopping close to him. As he did this, Alfie started burning zinc stronger, and increasing the man's fear. After that he darted behind a bin to hide and watch the events, glancing around with tin and steel to see if the man had any buddies.

"Ah, good sir, you surprised me" -I say to  him, smiling sweetly. I could see the guy was seriously spooked by my movement and that was the moment Alfie started rioting him

Alfie thought the man might piss his pants if Satsu got any closer.

The man mumbles apologies and runs off in the direction the previous group have gone. I detect a slight scent of urine.

OOC. He rolled a 3. 1 would have him faint

Alfie darted back behind Satsu and spoke very quietly to him. "Should I follow him from the rooftops and see what they were saying?"

"I wonder what he pegged me as"- i tell quietly, confident that Alfie would hear me regardless, "Yes, but do not move too far. We are close. Just make sure they aren't"

The watcher catches on to them and babbles about Feruchemist or possibly Ironeyes.

Alfie indeed could hear the slightest whisper, especially when he was burning tin so hard. Using his steel to soften his footsteps, he ran up the side of the building and went to the roof. He then sneakily went above them and listened to their conversation. Even from this distance he could see the metals in their bellies and hear the words on their blue lips.

The watcher looked pretty panicked. Some others laughed, though they seemed a bit concerned.

Alfie used a pulse of zinc to boost the laughter and the happiness of those laughing. Perhaps they would speak more freely.

"Didn't seem like Ironeyes to me." -says one of them "Probably Feruchemist or Zinc twinborn"

They were not very happy, so Zinc had little effect beyond calming them down.

One of themseems to notice emotional manipulation. He looked around, but couldn't see Alfie. He assumed that they are close enough to the hemalurgical man. "Seems like somebody is rioting me" he says "the bugger must be a twinborn" Another spoke. "Good thing we didn't attack him. We should hurry to the boss"

Alfie avoided burning any metals, and listened carefully to their conversation, listening for any titbits of information.

The others seem to respect the paranoid guy, possibly because of his size, or a pistol

Alfie stares at the paranoid guy and fixes his steelshape in his mind.

They agree and move in the general direction of 5-6th canal. Alfie thought. This man is a leader of some sort, of this group.

Fearing that they might have a seeker elsewhere, Alfie avoids following them and returns to Satsu, relying all if there is no one around to listen.

ooc No one is a seeker

ooc That is nice to know. Rewind!

Flattening off his metals to a bare minimum, Alfie followed them over the roofs, listening to their conversation. Happily his hearing was already excellent, even without tin. Without tin he could hear the flutter of a bird's wings from a hundred feet. With tin, he could hear its heartbeat.

They don't talk much as they approach a building near the train station. He saw the location, saw them enter, and fixed the location in his mind and returned to Satsu.

Speaking, he carefully noted in a quiet voice where they mobsters went, describing the train station in detail down to the color of the bricks (reddy brown).

I see Alfie return, as I approach a spot I visited the previous night

After listening to him I shrug. I am not sure where they went, though presumably that is where the "boss" is. As I do, our cat contact floats down from the roof softly (steel), and nods greeting. She waited until it was clear to arrive - not much of a fighter.

Alfie whispers a welcome to her.

She nods greeting, and quetly trills introduction, then fixes her gaze on me. I remove a prepared package and place before her.

She sniffs the air, and nods. Once again I notice human mannerisms that she seems to have adopted. She then starts speaking:

[3:59pm] Satsuoni:

Alfie gently paced around steel softening his step, and peers into the passage with steelsight and tinnose

Sha says, quetly, so I have to strain a little, though Alfie should hear well enough. "I have located Harmony. He has been in Inquisitor's spike, as usual. Loud. A map.

I remove a map of Elendel from my pack, and place before her

"Here" - she points out a cluster of building somewhat east of where we had reports of gang activity. "Is where he lives now. Not a bad place, for his likes. Well guarded. Allomancers. Feruchemists. Bloodmakers you wanted have ben subsumed into his gang too. There are three of them. They sometimes speak of themselves as new vanishers. Here" - she points at the area near the train station "are where another gang headquarters are. Normal people, these ones, so they have to bow before Harmony. They tolerate that."

She is silent for a few more moments.

Alfie considers all that she said. "A powerful gang leader rules them all. If we tried to attack them directly they could likely overwhelm us."

She nodded "Indeed. Maybe too well guarded. Tomorrow, Harmony ordered a hit on these warehouses." - she points at the area near another train station not too far from mine. The bloodmakers will be there. Harmony won't. If they keep to their plan, maybe ten people in all. All mistings or ferrings, though. What else would you want?" -she sits down and waits.

I nod to Alfie and walk a litlle distance away from her, motioning him to follow just so I could speak above whisper. I turn to him and say "Well, what do you think?"

Alfie follows him, careful to avoid bursting her eardrums. "We could perhaps take them- you would have to muster the catquisitors in force. But it would be a massive risk. And I can't fight. Alfie daintily twisted a paw up and down in the air, as though he was checking for broken nails.

I agreed."Indeed, nya. We are few. Some of the others are like her, and cannot fight either. And we may take unacceptable losses.

Alfie continued. "Some of our foes may escape too, and tell all of who we are."

I thought this was a fair point. "Quite so. I wonder if we could distract Harmony by setting that other gang against him. Or we need some way to lure only a bloodmaker or two away from the group tomorrow. I pause to consider.

OOC s. Maybe Alfie can riot/soothe them?

OOC n. Perhaps alfie could be like the white rabbit in alice and wonderland? “come follow me to wonderous sights and views!” aka the bottom of your shop, your table, and a spike.

OOC s. Heh If he tells them that they will possibly run. To you or from you is a question though.

OOC n. He's just a cute non speaking cat burning zinc.

I came to a conclusion. "Yes, I believe removing them from group tomorrow is our best bet"

Alfie looked up at Satsu. "I am sure you are strong enough to beat a single one with ease, or a pair."

I continued. "They will be more emotional, and there will be less of them. Yes, especially if I can touch one. I'll wipe his reserves, and then beat him" I smile beatifically in the darkness, This time revealing catlike canines and slightly reduced front teeth.

Alfie agreed. "The healthiest few seconds he shall ever know."

I spoke. "Indeed. Still, I think it wouldn't be bad to scout a little today. Not sure I am up to the task, though - not very good with scouting" I can see her motioning to come closer

Alfie nodded. "Yeah. We should scout them out. Perhaps we can find some place where they are easier to assault. We can see if they have guns."

I approach her carefully, close enough to hear "I can show Alfie the place" - she says. "You are too loud. Alfie can hear her with tin

Alfie nods, and quietly walks over to her, then speaks, whispering. "I will follow."

She steel jumps to the roof of the building and heads south. I am left alone in the alleyway, so I sit and wait patiently.

She leads Alfie to a small cluster of buildings inside the intersection near the cat's eye on the map

Alfie follows her with steel running and goes south with her. Before he runs off he waves goodbye to Satsu.

She speaks. "Harmony sleeps there" -she whispers, pointing out the largest of the building. Beyond that window - do you see him?"

Alfie nods. He then burns electrum and sends several ghosts of the future to scout in the room and tell him what is going on in there, while looking all around with his steel sight.

She lacks full proficiency of his steelsight, but can see clearly for kilometers across, zooming as necessary, and points out things she can see as necessary. Together they pierce together a picture.

They see a metal outline of a man with duralmin bracers on him

There is a gun on the stand nearby. Some trap mechanisms are barely visible near the door. Presumably there are more traps if you get closer to look. The man's steel outline hints at vaguely familiar shape. In other, smaller buildings there are about 30 people, many with metal vials close by or bracers of Ferrings.

ooc s. At night , Harmony can't use connection (being asleep), so he is a bit paranoid about 30 metal users close by.

Alfie speaks."He's afraid of his army. Maybe we could use that against him.”

She waves her hand "I can hear them. Maybe. I watch. I rarely interfere. Fights are too lound, especially those guns. When he is asleep, and when he stores, he is vulnerable. Afraid"

Alfie nods. "I would not want to fight them either. Satsu can do that for us. Perhaps we could sneak in somehow. Though with the traps it would be hard. Are there any other entrances?"

She nods "Strong enough, for some. That Harmony, he is like us, but worse. There is soul metal in him. Sneak in. Yes. In this house." She quietly leads the way, pointing out a small crack between the roof and the wall to the attic. As she approaches the crack, the stops burning tin for a moment. Theeffect is numbness, so she could squeeze in without hurting too much.

Alfie follows and tries to follow her in. He uses his steel vision to see the path ahead and enters behind her. Wriggling up along the passageway he smells her bum. Curious. It smells more human than cat. Inside was a dusty attic. They could smell mice.

Alfie looks around, taking stock of the area. He ignores the mice. He is full, and eating while full of metals disturbs his powers. The attic is largely empty, and seems rarely visited. Maybe the house is a bit too big for its new owner. There are several boxes with something that seems like rotten rope, and other odds and ends. The main trapdoor is closed

Alfie paces over to the main trapdoor, and inspects it for, well, traps.The door seems locked securely enough. There do not seem to be any traps. The lock also happens to be on the other side.

She shudders slightly as she burns her tin again, and points to the opposite corner the house is opulent for this are, but is not in the best repair. This close, Alfie can see that most of the traps seem to be located around a single bedroom. He looked at the bedroom. Was there a room above it that they could smash through? There was a sturdier roof above the bedroom, the attic covering only part of the building. Satsu could punch through, but he could not get through, especially without an anchor above him.

He also noticed a dark hole in the corner she was pointing to. Alfie advanced towards it, carefully monitoring it with his steel the hole, however, seems to lead to one end of the trap-ridden corridor, the safe end. Harmony evidently didn't trust his traps alone, though. There were guards with guns and metals (coinshots by the look of the metal in their stomach) on the chairs beyond the trap area. One was sleeping and one was bored, idly playing with his massive gun. Perhaps he could make him shoot himself, but he judged it a hard move, and then the other would likely wake up.

And the man in the bedroom. Alfie stared at his steelform. He recognized him. That was the man. The man who had killed his master and stabbed him with that steel spike. Who made him bleed and scream, who cracked his bones with his club, made him die with his gun. Alfie got in the moment. He was gonna kill him.

Alfie looks around for any pushable metal objects in the attic. Weapons. There were none. All he had was his metals, his wits, and one coin. He made a mental map of the area, rough but ready, and entered. http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2852/drw.png

He could see no clear path that would allow him to kill him, nor any way to make the traps kill him or lead him into them.He bit down his rage. He had to return. Yet... he could still see what his dead master looked like. Alfie spoke to her. "You should get away from this place. It's about to get loud."

She nods. "You know the way. I must return anyway", and squeezes back through the crack

[

Alfie started to sneak through the crack to get a better angle on the corridor. He stopped short of the exit. The guard did not notice him. He began gently using zinc to riot the boredom of the guard and his tiredness. He used zinc to likewise riot the tiredness of the sleeping guard.

He eased his way out, and hid in the shadows, still gently rioting the man's tiredness. The man holstered his gun, leaving it undone. He wondered if he could shoot through the wall... no, it was too thick. Brick carrier wall. Alfie ten waited patiently for the man to nod off.Alfie, avoiding interacting with anything on this trap covered floor, pushed a metal rod deep beneath him. He then slowly floated across the corridor towards the door, keeping an eye on the guard, and rioting him gently to keep him asleep. After a while the man dozed off. Alfie knew there were likely traps. He peered through the floor and found several pipes in the building. Perfect. Extending his range he floated on them through the room.

Ooc n. flying cat is a coming for your doom!

Ooc s. oh my, I rolled bad on that one. Harmony was many things, but he wasn't stupid. He knew that Coinshots would see the trap-covered floor, and try floating, if they try to go this way. Hence, he made a few black tripwires without metal closer to the ceiling. Into one of which alfie floated straight on. Fortunately, they were designed for humans.

Ooc n. Why was he floating near the ceiling?

Ooc s. He wasn't?

Ooc n. He was floating at the head height of the guards so that if the woke up they would clearly see the cat floating towards them malevolently and fear them.

Ooc s. ok, I'll reroll

Alfie avoided the black wire by a hair, blissfully aware that his smaller stature and a great deal of luck had just saved him from a great deal of pain. He could see that the door was heavily locked. Many traps on it. But if you had the key, which the guard had in his pocket, there was just one trap. An alarm. He could see the shape of the thing, in its aluminium casing. Once that went off everything would go crazy.

Alfie burned tin again, and checked the area for traps.

Ooc s. A 1 is bad right?

He saw nothing he had not seen before, the traps and the guards and the key. He was safe. With no idea what was happening he finished inspecting the guards and then checked again for traps near the guard. This time he saw more, saw the traps on the ceiling. He was glad he'd avoided them. He floated to the guard.

Alfie began to flare tin and ever so softly, balancing on the steel pushes, pulled the key out of the guard's pocket with his teeth. The guard started to moan briefly and wake up, and Alfie used brass to sooth him again. He then took the gun from its holster, holding it awkwardly in both hands. The man awoke. Alfie burnt zinc and boosted the man's tiredness and burnt brass and soothed his curiosity and awakeness. The man fell asleep again. He floated behind him. This was getting rough.

Then the man brushed his hand against his empty holster. He jolted awake and looked around. damnation. He must be trained in detecting emotional allomancy. Abandoning all attempts at subtlety Alfie flared his brass and smashed it into the spirits of all three men in turn. The previously awake man collapsed in a cationic heap on the floor, awake but uncaring, and the other two men fell deeper into sleep. Harmony slept as a rock.

He looked at the door. A big oaken thing with a small keyhole. He floated forward and used his steel to push the key out of his mouth, then twisted it, shutting his tin down completely as he did so. It swung open, well greased. The alarm started ringing loudly. Harmony awoke.

Alfie had trained with a gun. He remembered that first day. Satsu had offered him some food, and told him about the many opportunities as a catquisitor. He hadn't understood a word, but the food was delicious and so he had agreed. Soon be became... one of those things. Not a cat. They had trained him well in gun use after that. He would shoot Harmony dead. Use what had become. The man was just lying there, under his blanket, three meters away, scrabbling to get out. What could go wrong?

He missed. The unexpected recoil tossed him and the gun outwards at the guard outside, smashing him in the head. Alfie flared brass at him to keep him quiet and repositioned himself. The guard had seen him. And the brass was doing squat. The guard was in too much pain to calm down, but he looks at the flying cat and rubs his eyes. damnation. He had to stop Harmony now fast. He burnt steel as hard as he could and saw the spike in him, and pushed, anchoring against the trap in the wall behind him and nails in the corners.

The trap exploded, blasting a shotgun shot downwards. Alfie heard people below him start to move. But only the spike mattered. He felt so close to Harmony now. So intimate.

Stop it!” Yelled Harmony, moaning like a gutted pig.

Alfie spoke. “I'm doing this for you. I love you man. I forgive you for hurting him. These spikes are evil. Evil I say. I never wanted this, to be a monster. I'll save you from them.“

ooc s. says a cat with about 12 of them.

Harmony tried to reach the gun on the desk but failed as the spike ripped out of his chest, all covered in blood. Alfie no longer felt any love for him.

Alfie felt the metal coin in his hand. The one he never let go of, his last memory of his master. He then pointed it at Harmony and pushed hard with his steel, firing it at Harmony's body. The coin smashed through Harmony's head like a gun through a sheet of paper, embedding itself in the wall. He was dead. It was over. Well not quite over. The guard was still there, having shaken off his confusion. He flared zinc and smashed his allomancy against the man's spirit, trying to crush him like a bug, lighting up his fear and his rage and his lust and his happiness and his sadness.

Not looking to the result, Alfie went to Harmony's body and grabbed the spike. He put it in his mouth, safe and sound. Delicious blood. He then picked up the gun, breathing fast, and pointed it at the window. The guards were getting closer. Everything was about to go wrong. He had never felt more alive. He pointed, aimed, and squeezed the trigger.

Edited by Nepene

I wait impatiently in the near-darkness. They are late. Or at least i think so. Let's hope that means they are cautious, and not that they are dead. I spend my time thinking about the operation tomorrow. Luring the bloodmaker or two seems like the best bet. Nicrosil ferrings are rare, chances are bloodmakers won't know I can corrupt their reserves with my Investiture...

I perk up as she appears before me, quickly relays the situation as it was when she left, and disappears into the night, her job done. Apparently, she had enough of our company for this night. Also apparently, Alfie is up to no good for no reason I could discern. Well. I turned in the direction I thought he was, and moved that way, without much hurry. Whatever happened, has probably happened already, and if not the worst thing to do was to get there without thinking.

[ooc]

I'll try to describe the position Alfie is in.

[sITUATION]

A house with two guards on the second floor that have seen a floating, shooting Mistborn (from their POV) cat. One may discard this as dream figments, but the other one have seen it clearly and felt emotional allomancy well. More guards on the way, which would probably assume the guards have cracked. Some will check, though. Other people, including at least 3 seekers (one seeker is in the house) are coming out from the surrounding buildings, some have a good view of the window Alfie just jumped out from. In total, about 20 metal users are awake and coming out to see disturbance, including several coinshots and lurchers, all with guns. At least two seekers can pinpoint your location precisely for at least a click (savants or near). No twinborn, though.

Enjoy getting out :)

Alfie saw the window smash open with his gun fire. As the glass littered the floor and the ground he took stock of the situation. Two guards maddened by his continual flashes of allomancy, potential witnesses, a host of allomancers closing on the house, one gun, a dead gang leader, a spike in his mouth. Damnit. He should have waited, or planned this out better. Now he had to deal with this, get away. He started burning tin just a little. Argh. It hurt, with the noise. But he needed the clarity. He grabbed the blanket with his teeth and levitated to the centre of the room. He then had an idea. Maybe he could blame this on the... kandra. That was it, kandra. People were already paranoid. Maybe he was just another kandra serving Harmony.

He called out to them. "The Kandra are angry at your betrayal of Harmony, your use of his name. Sazed is angry at you. Repent or Iron Eyes will come with his mistborn Kandra."

That was done. What did he have?

Metals. Steel. Very very low. He could make it last for a while or push very hard for a short time but it was gonna run out. They had no idea how hard he could push. Brass. Not great, but ok. Electrum. Maybe a minute left remaining and none of the futures looked bright. Zinc. He had ample zinc. Tin too, that was ticking over fine.

He swung the blanket over his back, like a cloak. It was jagged at the back, black. It fluttered behind him. A mistcloak. Heh. He couldn't charge out like that though. Too many witnesses. He wrapped it around his head to protect him from any glass and conceal his form. He looked at his electrum futures. Risky. He needed a distraction.

He looked around him. The building was filled with metals. Pipes. Nails. Traps. Metal in the paints, in the stones, though he could barely touch those. Blue lines ran out from him in every direction. He could trip every trap in the house, rip out a lot of the nails without much force at all, maybe even break some of the weaker parts of the house. Maybe he could smash the house. It should distract those outside at least. But he didn't want to get caught between his pushes so he had to move forward. He could see men with guns, and the blue lines to those too, and he didn't want those guns pointing at him when he left. He hovered to the window, so that the entire house was behind him, and pushed everything.

The remaining window exploded, sending glass shards flying out as he shot from the building like a bullet.

OOC. Assuming you approve this attempt of mine, smashing up the building, Satsu should have a fun sight to see when he comes.

Edited by Nepene