Caton: Second path

Satsuoni

I nod, and pet him carefully, massaging strained muscles with one hand, while I flip the book with the other.

"You did well."

From the window I see 7-8th canal approaching. Our station is next, so I withdraw my hand and collect my things as we cross the river.

"Here is our station. As you don't seem to like being carried, I trust you can pretend to be a normal cat and get to the platform by yourself."

I put on my glasses, checking the mirror to see if I still had vibrissae. Satisfied, I leave the train, nodding to the guards at the station, and after calling Alfie, head along the canal to my house.

[ooc]So, yeah, brain still on the fritz XD. But essentially, the arrival event - see the map for location. You can follow, or wander the streets for a while - as you choose.[/ooc]

Alfie rubbed his neck against Satsu's hand, purring as they approached the station. Then he nodded at his question and walked out with him, pacing at his heel.

A guard walked up to him. He was old, with long greying hair and numerous wrinkles. He looked like he'd smiled a lot in his lifetime and now a huge grin spread across his face.

"Alfie? It's you! What are you doing here? Aren't you a good kitty? I haven't seen your family a long time. Did you get stolen?" He rubbed Alfie behind his ears. Alfie purred again.

"I should take you back to your family. My shift ends in a few hours. Meanwhile..." The man reached into a pocket, going for what looked like a rather unappealing snack of some sort. Alfie, not wanting to be bothered, quickly tapped a nearby piece of metal with his steel and rioted the man's curiosity. He turned round and Alfie escaped into the crowd, vanishing again.

He then followed Satsu to the canal.

"I want to know where to run if everything goes bad before I start exploring."

"That is a good idea, I guess. Well, you know where my house is positioned from the map, but here it is, right near the canal itself, see? I apologize in advance, but I'll have to behave as if you were a normal cat, since the human staff that maintains the house doesn't know about you. They do know that I am eccentric, so me talking to cats as if they were humans is not frowned upon. Just don't talk back, and try not to follow instructions too much."

While I talk, we approach a relatively small 3-storied building near a warehouse, with a small garden visible behind it.

"The warehouse is also mine, it is where the raw metals are stored and some of the smelting and alloying is taking place. Not industrial scale, of course, but then I am specializing in more exotic alloys of high purity. Well, I should probably stop talking to you, nya."

As we approach the house, a guard meets us. Recognizing me - well, my figure, but that is not something easy to mistake, he greets me.

"Welcome back, sir."

He notices Alfie.

"A new stray, sir?"

I try to speak as normally as I can manage, which makes my voice dry and raspy at best. Well, part of my cover story is damage to my throat.

"Kind of, Mander. I think he was a house cat, before his family run-in with the bandits. But never mind that. Is the house ready? Has there been any disturbances?"

"Nothing much, sir, although one time a burglar tried to break in. Would you believe, apparently he stepped on one of sir's cats. Resulting racket brought half constables in the area, and they apprehended the fellow before he could get anything."

I smile. Some cats were very protective of metal stores, apparently.

"I see. Thank you for the news. Alfie, come here."

I proceed to enter the house.

[ooc]3-story house with a small yard behind it. Yard contains a small hole for cat's entry/exit, as well as entry to the basement of the warehouse, which is adjacent. The staff treats you as stray cats that they are obligated to feed, sometimes, and will shoo you from some rooms, like bedroom and bathroom. There is a small lab in the house with rarer metals,and a larger one in the warehouse. The basement is nominally secret, but kept clean, just in case (no bodies). Ask if I missed something.[/ooc]

Alfie remembered the picture he had been shown a while ago. Most things he had seen with tin stuck in his memory pretty hard because they were so vivid and intense and so he could easily bring up the mental image of the map.

"I could likely find it, yes, I can picture the route now, but if I was being chased I'd want to know the way in and where to hide without any delays. All the power in the world is useless if you are a second late with your movement."

Alfie paced on, his tail swishing back and forth with each step, pride in his movements. He was back in his element. The street, full of people who he could sway and an alley to run away in each corner.

"You are a man of great power, and I hope my finding of the book of terris magics will help you grow even greater."

As they approached he switched to speaking in mews and mrows and purrs, mindful of hiding who they were.

"He calls you sir. He's your bitch. He says I am of the street, I am powerful. Silly humans."

Mewing and mrowing to him, he continued pacing behind him. He was aware his speech was awkward, but you could only communicate so much in your natural language.

"That man was not hidden. He deserved being eaten and beaten by the big men. The weak die."

He followed him in, watching carefully to see what was occuring but not too agitated. This was a safe place.

As I enter the house, I am greeted by my butler, whom I promptly send off, ordering him to prepare a bath and a small dinner delivered to my study. This house, unlike my dwelling, contains several members of my staff, including two maids. I am not a particularly rich person, my House relative obscure, but I have enough income coupled wit minimal spending to maintain at leas an illusion of normality in the capital.

I enter my study, and turn to Alfie, after checking around to see if any servant was close by.

"Welcome to my house, Alfie. Feel free to explore."

I briefly outline the important details. [ooc]See previous post[/ooc]

"I must note, however that while weak, Mander is loyal, and more importantly not stupid. Also, a Thug, even if that is not obvious, nya."

My voice shifts slightly, into mild hissing.

"Don't be arrogant, Alfie. Many humans are weak, but never discount them, not even the lowest servants or street urchins. Remember, even one person escaping notice may set into motion chain of events leading to one's downfall. Be loyal to your servants, but be careful around thhhem, never let down your guard. Try to ensure their loyalty, but do not ever truly assume it."

"You can kill people, but always be aware of repercussions. You kill one child bully, and suddenly there are teams of Allomancers seeking to bring you down... Sorry, bad memories that."

I sigh.

"Well, I am going to rest, and tomorrow we will collect information - both from human and cat sources - and make our plans. Feel free to do whatever you wish until morning."

I hear somebody approaching. Probably my butler, to tell me that bath is drawn, but I pop a small bead of Pewter, just in case.

"I do not discount any when considering stealth, but are street urchins and servants really that important beyond that? I understand you must ensure loyalty of those beneath you, but is it really worth the risk doing it yourself? Another could easily be paid to do it, one whose loyalty you could better vet, one who could watch their every move and see if one was skulking off to be paid off by some criminal."

He looked up at Satsu.

"I have seen many who got too friendly with their servants. Who sought to ensure loyalty. It only left them vulnerable to another to exploit them, their guards lowered enough to not check when danger came. Loyalty is a two way street. You trust your butler. What if he was paid off by your enemies and poisoned your food with something too subtle for even our noses, avoiding the eyes of the cats who made him ever so uncomfortable with their almost human staring? What if your bath was strapped with an explosive your metal sight could not see? Or even poisoned with some sedative strong enough to overcome your pewter. Maybe not today, but your trust could be your downfall. Getting loyalty with someone who you can't watch is impossible."

Alfie sighed and looked down. Trust was not his strong point. Satsu continued and he nodded at his words.

"I know I could kill, but as you said it attracts unwanted attention. I prefer to remain out of sight and run, then ambush the childhood bully on the way home with a group of loyal friends to teach him a lesson. I watch from afar, I wait, I plan." He unsheathed his claws. "Then I attack."

Alfie stabbed his claws into the air. He then heard a man coming in and walked into the shadows, waiting to see if the man was hostile, then react as necessary if appropriate. Otherwise he would go to check the bath and study for any poisons or traps with tin and electrum, go to listen to the servants and check their loyalty, and then wander around and explore.

I smile at Alfie's words. He is right on many counts, of course. The butler, for example, is often watched by the Cat Inquisitors. He is loyal enough, as far as I can tell.

I open the door as the man knocks. Predictably enough, this is my butler, Finnax.

"Your bath is ready, sir, and a dinner will be waiting for you after you refresh yourself."

I nod.

"Thank you, Finnar. Please ensure that I am not disturbed while I bathe, as usual, and send out notices that I am here. I believe Lord Fenkel wanted to discuss a purchase with me directly, and our usual reseller need to be informed of course."

Butler bows slightly and leaves. I see Alfie slinking out after him. Sorry, but you did express a desire to go exploring/ checking loyalty. Tell me if I overstepped.

Alone, I unpack my things, hiding diagrams into one of the secret compartments of the steel-lined table, and Terris book into another one in the wall, for now. I'll need to copy relevant parts and dispose of the book, possibly return it - though that does not seem feasible anymore.

Then, I select a set of house clothes, including a mask which I usually wear in the city, and go to take a bath. I am still human enough to enjoy it, although I've heard of some cats that do, too.

I take my time, enjoying warms easing some pains that I wasn't aware I had. The dull throb of the spikes still persisted, but even it seemed diminished. I looked down on my body, sparse, soft fur covering parts of it, skin marked with hundreds of small scars. Some of them itched.

I thought about loyalty again. I trusted Cats, but only so far, for they were ever independent creatures. But even then, I had safeguards added. They were weak safeguards, and they served another primary purpose, but they were there, if I ever needed them, on all but the first cats.

Alfie paced the door after the Butler, staying far back and out of range. He didn't want to be spotted and he was sure the Butler was more than used by now to cats watching him with cold eyes.

Following him through the house they eventually reached the kitchen. Alfie hid behind a large wooden drawer and watched. The butler approached two women, focusing on one. She was leaning on a cabinet next to another female whom he presumed was another maid who she had been gossiping with. He listened as they spoke.

"Susan, sir is in and he may want a meal at some hour. Would you please make sure that if he desires a delectable snack you are well prepared."

She flicked her hand out in a dismissive manner.

"Way ahead of you, we always keep a little stuff going just in case one of his strays wander in and he seems to like a lot of the same meals." She shook her head and sighed. "I love the little people but they can be very aggressive and demanding when they get hungry. It's like dealing with children. We'll be ready if he gets hungry. So, about Satsu, who is he screwing lately? Has he gotten a girl?"

The butler looked straight at her, in what Alfie interpreted as a disapproving way.

"Sir came alone, and you would do best to not speculate on his love life."

Alfie spotted something. The woman had some metal in her stomach. He looked at the lines. It didn't feel like the pewter inside Satsu. A mental one, mostly likely. Maybe she was a rioter and liked enflamming passions.

He followed the Butler around for a while, listening to his conversations, listening to him talk to people and send letters. There was a lot of speculation about Satsu's sexual habits, griping about work conditions and cats watching them. No evidence of any traitors. He got the same impression from the other people. He searched Satsu's quarters as well, sending electrum ghosts in and around to check it out. There were no bombs or poisons he could see.

It seemed they weren't immediately plotting Satsu's death. Yet.

Well, that was that. I inspected my phenotype, looking for continued Hemalurgic corruption. So far, it looked as if I was in the equilibrium state, which was fine. I poked around at my Pewter-granting spike running along one of my ribs - in fact, bolted to it. It held fine. Satisfied that I was clean and still reasonably healthy, I dried myself. First order of business, deal with the book... Or so I thought...

"You are hungry."

That voice again.

"We are hungry. With both pewter and Investiture, you tend to forget."

We... I? felt like an idiot. True enough, we did tend to forget our more mundane needs. I went to the dinner room, passing the kitchen.

"Ah Susie, there you are" - I addressed one of the maids, the Coppercloud. I felt pertinent to employ her Allomantic services from time to time, for the additional pay of course.

"Yes, sir?"

From the slight embarrassment on her face I could guess she was discussing my love life again, and I winced inwardly. Some of my... changes included my genitalia, which varied from largely male cat's to androgynous, more befitting our identity. Neither was particularly conductive to taking lovers.

"Could you please brink my dinner to my study? I have work to do. And have Finnar give me the list of my appontments when he is done preparing it."

"Right away, sir."

"Thank you."

I nodded to the maid, and went back to my study, hoping that Alfie didn't get into any mischief.

Alfie swayed a bit. He was really tired. He had been up and about for too long with the attack of the bandits and the mind screw up of the spike. He could hear Satsu doing his thing but he just didn't have the energy... he went into a room nearby and curled up in the corner, sleeping.

After partaking a simple dinner I sent the servants away with strict orders not to disturb me and proceeded to work on the book, copying out relevant paragraphs. After some hesitation, I have decided that destroying the book would be the best course of action. I couldn't just return it to the station - I was too conspicuous, and would be remembered. I could maybe send Alfie, or another cat, but still, it was too risky, the book too big and unwieldy for easy carry. So I've cut out the diagrams and pages that interested me, and fired up small but powerful furnace in the small metallurgy lab, feeding remains of the book into it.

It was late when I was done, bordering on dawn, really. I was exhausted, the evidence was largely reduced to very fine ash, so I turned in for the night.

[ooc]As agreed, let's try to resume around next Wednesday.[/ooc]

A while later, having got up, Alfie was pacing through one of their labs looking at the pretty metals. Some was arranged in ingots that shone brightly and lured, some in piles of dust, less brilliant but usable, some in massive tubs of alcohol glimmering and spinning. All ready for transport. As he turned a corner he backed up, squatting and rubbing his butt against the corner and pissed on it, marking it as his, filling the area with his sweet scent of musky cat.

Perhaps it would be good to scout out the area. He went out and began wandering the streets.

In a short time he reached the local watch center. Lots of stuff was always happening there so he supposed it would be a good place to listen for rumors.

He made his way to the side, avoiding the front where people would spot him. He was in an alleyway, dark and wet with the police center on his left and some sort of meat storage place on his right. His steel sight really was powerful. He could see the whole world in blue, every movement and twist that the people around him had, even see through walls. But now he had to make his way up one.

On his left was the police center. On the wall was a metal pipe which led up to near ledge and an open window where some police men were having lunch. From there he would be able to hear their idle gossip. There was a homeless person with a massive beard- they did always seem to be male for some reason, humans didn't seem to care much for men- so he couldn't use his powers openly. The homeless man didn't seem to have any metals in his stomach either so he was safe from copper burners.

He looked beneath him. A metal sewer pipe ran beneath the earth, thick and gushing with some liquid. He focused his powers on that and pushed hard enough to make himself almost weightless. Then he ran at the wall and leaped, running straight up the wall. Then with a light push on the pipe he ran sideways and landed on the ledge. Perfect. He listened to what they were saying.

"... and so I said, that's no mistwraith, that's my wife!"

"...anyway, the end result after we closed off all the black market spots is that Harmony can't get aluminium any more without working with one of the houses..."

"...bloodmakers are meeting up in the Inquisitor's Spike tavern and they'll probably get smashed again..."

Alfie heard something interesting in the distance. He burnt tin more strong and focused his attention on that one voice in the multitude far away.

"... has been lost. Our group wants it retrieved after it was stolen and we are willing to pay quite handsomely if any of your people comes across it. Above what we are already paying you for your kindness in keeping quiet about the shipments..."

Was it the Terrisman? Maybe.

He listened for a while longer, noting the rumors and the facts, then returned back to the safehouse to relay everything to Satsu.

Edited by Nepene

I woke up in the morning. For a few moments we are disoriented. This place is different from where we usually wake up...

Ah right, I have returned to Elendel with Alfie. These are my chambers, nya, and the headache and numbness are results of using too much pewter yesterday - that and the fact that I stop drawing Investiture when we are asleep. I start doing it again, almost unconsciously, at a very low level. My head clears somewhat. What should we do today?

My growling stomach answers that question for the moment, at least and I call up my butler, ordering breakfast.

"And did you see Alfie today, Finnar?"

"No sir, although I fear one of the strays have sprayed in your lab. It has been taken care of."

"Very well. What are my appointments today? And do you have any interesting nayuus?"

I put certain emphasis on interesting, slipping somewhat on the last word. My staff is used to them by now. I really hope they attribute that to my incident.

Butler nods to indicate that he understood my meaning.

"Nothing in particular, sir. The reports are prepared, as usual. Lord Fenkel wanted to meet today, at your house, if it were convenient, to discuss a purchase of high quality Duralumin and Chromium, I believe."

I rub my temples, scratching them a little. Social visits were never our strong suit, but necessary, unfortunately. Lord Fenkel was one of the largest purchasers, buying both pure metals in bulk and finished products, like metalminds. The himself was a Connector. Dangerous, in a way. My Nicrosil attenuated the effects, but didn't remove them completely.

"Thank you, Finnar. Please send a message to Lord Fenkel that I will be available at my usual hours today. That will be all for now."

Butler bowed and withdrew.

I sat at my desk, scribbling notes and planning my day. At the same time, I wondered where Alfie has gotten to.

Alfie sat on the roof of Satsu's home. There was an air vent that he had found on the way home through which he could hear everything that happened in the house with his tin ears. He listened to the conversation between Satsu and the butler. Something about Lord Fenkel. Meanwhile he looked all through the house with his steelsight. He tracked every person, noting their movements and patterns, followed the movement of every cats. Some cats looked back, though not many. After a while he saw a clean route through the house, unlikely to intersect with any humans or cats. He hopped off the edge of the building to a window sill, lightly pushing steel for balance, and went in.

Alfie strolled into Satsu's office and waved. Pouncing up onto a paperless corner of the desk he looked at the papers Satsu was writing. They looked complicated and fancy and scholarly but he could tell that there were massive gaps. Whole bits crossed out with nothing to replace them. Many failed experiments. Perhaps with the gold spike Satsu would be able to heal faster and be better able to write his documents. But for now he had to relay his information.

He spoke up. "Greetings to you Satsu. I went scouting to info and will now tell you the information. The bloodmakers apparently have a favorite bar, the curiously named "Inquisitor's Spike" where they go for your human drugwater. Sounds like a good starting point to look for them. Also the terrisman with steel powers went to the law to bribe them to look for his book. He has an arrangement with them about some packages which may be secret goods of some kind. Drugs, machine parts, rare metals, whatever the Terris people are into. He didn't say."

Alfie quickly relayed all the rest of the information, glossing over most of it as it was not immediately relevant to their future. He then purred softly, and spoke.

"I hope my information will be useful to you. How have you been?"

I blink as I see Alfie enter, and listen to his report.

"So, nya. A set of good news, and a set of bad news, I see. Good work, Alfie."

"As usual, you can restock on the metals" - I nod towards the laboratory space, - "And tell me if you are hungry."

I consider the situation. I am not the best for sneaking, and not all Bloodmakers are criminals. We need to be certain that is the group we want, that is, the one that won't get us in more trouble with the law. It is fortunate they still accept Dead or Alive bounties here in Elendel.

Terrisman posed more of a problem,e specially if he already went to the cops. Whatever he was transporting was probably not too illegal - if at all, he might just be paying them for preferential treatment. And the cops will know I was on the train...

I relay those thoughts to Alfie, as I riffle through some of the reports Finnar prepared for me.

Metal prices... usual, my specialties are at constant, though low demand, especially by people who deal with Terris regions extensively. Terrismen themselves didn't like to see my kind too much. Probably resentment that one of the rare and still semi-secret metals was manifested in someone outside their society. I snort to myself. Still, no surprises in the financial department, no problem with taxed and payroll. Some people are skimming the funds, but are discreet enough for it not to pose a problem, and give me additional leverage in case of emergency. I put those aside.

Criminal activities, cuts from newspapers and the like. Here is a mention:

"One of the constables beaten in Inquisitor's spike."

I skim through it. Conveniently, it contains a rough address and description of the place, with a note to avoid it... Nya! As if.

I read other reports. Thefts.. not very interesting, except for the rapid decline of such in the immediate vicinity of my house. I should have a talk with other cats before rumors attract some nosy cop. Violent crime... Some notes seem to be about the gang with bloodmakers in it. More information for later.

Rumors... Still. That does not answer what to do with a Terrisman.

I speak to Alfie.

"That Terrisman is going to pose a problem. Simply... removing... him is propbably going to cause a problem, unless I can get in contact with some cats who can do it... discreetly, and make it look like a genuine accident. However, if he is really embroiled in some illegal affair, then that may offer us an opportunity of blackmail. Could you please try to investigate his dealings further? Do tell me if you need anything."

Alfie nodded at Satsu's invitation, going to restock his metals from the awaiting tubes. Steel, electrum, his tin was still fine, he hadn't used much zinc or brass on the way back. He felt the happy tingle of a fully stocked stomach. Good.

"I am hungry, but if I'm about to go out I'd prefer not to eat. It feels really really unpleasant steel pushing on a full stomach. It sloshes around and comes out when it shouldn't." Alfie shuddered at the memory.

Alfie wondered where fish came from. He was vaguely aware that they were some sort of water creature but he had never really known what their source was. Did they grow on the beaches, like fruit? He had seen those in books. A mystery that perhaps he could one day solve now that he could read. He resigned himself to research later and drew his attention back to the matter at hand. Satsu started speaking again, talking about the various threats to them.

"Would it be wise to collect the bounty for whatever Bloodmaker we capture? They might ask questions if you asked to be able to keep his corpse. I suppose you could cut off just his head if that isn't what you spike. The terrisman does sound more worrying though. Those cops are already looking to question you over those you killed beforehand. They're going to look at you with a very careful eye and riot and soothe you too. I shall investigate the Terrisman."

He nodded to Satsu, said his goodbyes, and left.

A while later he returned to the police station and worked his way around. He could still remember what the Terrisman smelt like. It was very distinctive from the average city dweller and beyond that the man smoked some plant and the scent wrapped itself around him like a web of smells. He found the man's trail near a side entrance and followed it carefully, stalking his prey through the turns of the city. He twisted and turned went up and down alleys. In time he reached a more industrial part of the city. Smog clung to the air now and often he had to send electrum ghosts out to find the scent again. But he kept going on his mission.

In time he reached a massive building of some sort. A group of men stood guard at the entrance, standing astride his trail. He had to find another route.

He worked his way around the building, looking for a way up. In time he found it. A factory next to it which was having some construction work done on it had some abandoned climbable building things on it. He worked his way up to the top of this and lept across the gap with a powerful push of steel. Soaring through the air he neatly landed down on the roof of the building.

He crept across the metal roofing, looking for a way in. Eventually he found a skylight which he was able to push open. He lowered himself onto a beam and looked outwards.

Hundreds of people, all male. Massive piles of metal. Booze, some plants. This was a curious sight.

I looked after disappearing cat for a while. Ahh... Sometimes I longed for that freedom. To roam the city jumping from roof to roof, mostly anonymous. With pewter, and with second Harvesting gauntlet hidden with this house, its charge locked, I could do that... But I cut far too distinct a figure.

[ooc]Charge locking is the only way I can explain Vin's earring not being drained to nothing during those months she didn't wear it. Essentially, my theory goes that once the spike has been set in acceptor, its Hemalurgic decay is slowed down significantly, though possibly only in relation to that person.[/ooc]

Also, I still had the unread reports. Hopefully Alfie would uncover something about that Terrisman that would allow usss to deal with him, or at least smooth things out if we have to remove him. I hiss in mild frustration and sit back to scanning the reports and marking some as "interesting". The originators of such would receive a bonus - after I double-checked that they were, in fact, correct. If somebody on my payroll would try to lie to me, they would be dismissed without notice or severance payment, and they knew it.

Rumors, nya.

Large cities generated rumors at alarming rates, and Elendel was the largest of them all. The place was ridiculous. If I were to believe half of what the rumor mill had going on at the time, I would run screaming back to my mansion in the mountains and never come back!

"Vanishers now specializing in abducting people from their homes."

"Secret Koloss worshiping cult in Elendel sewer system practices eating Twinborn for their powers."

"Terrismen using Feruchemy to steal our souls."

Only a one of these had a grain of truth to eat, and the Koloss had nothing to do with it.

Time passed as I sorted through the information, planning our next move, until Finnar has arrived, announcing Lord Fenkel, here to see me.

Alfie worked his way down the building, hoping from pile to pile, keeping a careful watch on everyone. He was starting to get more experience with the metals, with his frequent adventures. He could tell there were quite a few people, feruchemical and allomantic, who had tin or pewter around. Guards on the lookout. There were several people burning copper too, presumably to keep the building off the map. This was a big operation, whatever it was.

Eventually Alfie reached the floor, behind several large barrels of pewter. He was pretty sure he hadn't been caught. He started wandering through the place, going as silently as he could and avoiding any contact. He passed a large pile of crates. Inside he saw with his blue steel sight massive jars of some drink. He went further and found more crates. There were bandages inside, along with vials of liquids and various herbs and plants. A label in front of it read "For medicinal use." Another label on a crate read "In case of rashes."

He went further on. He found a large metallurgy area, where strange metal objects were being made. Helmets and breastplates made of pewter. All sorts of bracelets made partly of aluminium and partly of another metal. Alfie went in between a set of crates and listened carefully to what was being said by the people there. A quite tall terrisman was talking to a shorter woman who was holding a piece of paper.

"The hybrid bracelets will be ready for transporting tomorrow Tindwyl. I still think it's a fool's errand. You can't use another's metal no matter what tricks you do."

The woman nodded. "Thank you for your opinion but we'll leave that up to the experts. I assume the bendalloy is ready for the miners too?"

"We're having some trouble with that. It's really not an easy metal to work with. It burns if you so much as glare at it and it melts at such a low temperature that it made our people dizzy working with it near the furnace. But we're getting closer. We were using iron but it tended to rust through so we're putting a silver coating on it to minimize how badly they get poisoned. Is it true that there are miners who weigh half a ton just so that they can store more in their iron?"

The woman shrugged. "I will neither confirm nor deny any such rumors." She grinned at him. "But they do look really really fat." The two grasped each other and arched their bodies close, kissing. She then drew back swiftly from him. The man looked sad at this but said nothing as the woman continued speaking.

"Yomen has been demanding a lot for us, even asking that we send out our full feruchemists. Sometime we really have to show them who is boss. But we're learning a lot from this operation. New ways to use the metals. We're learning new ways to use the metals that we'd never have thought of. On that note, we may need some more nicrosil."

The man slowly nodded, recovering, speaking "We don't have much but we could make some inquiries. Rose makes it I hear, and Satsu. How much do we need?"

Tindwyl looked pensive and replied "Get as much as you can without causing any suspicion. Spread the orders out. I know some of the miners are swearing that bigger chunks of metal allow better drawing. I doubt it myself but they're digging up enough to make it profitable." The man thanked her, looked around, and got in close.

"Drugs, food, prostitutes, metals, machine parts, liquid air- this is one of the most massive operations we've ever engaged in. Is it really worth it? Someone might found out."

Tindwyl shook her head. "Everyone who matters has been paid off. We've paid the customs to the people at the top, bribed their secrecy. No one is going to find out, and if they did, what would they see? We're mining a few metals with a house. They don't know that soon we'll control the markets of every rare metal for the next century. Our future will be guaranteed and we will not have to rely on anyone else anymore." Her man smiled at her.

"I love your passion."

The two then hugged, said their goodbyes, and parted. The woman went to speak to others, asking similar questions.

Alfie walked off. Hopefully this would be enough for Satsu. Whatever this was, it was something big.

Suddenly he was flung to the side with a powerful blow and smashed into a crate. Everything went woozy and fuzzy. He looked behind him. Some woman was grinning, her eyes bright with tin and madness. She spoke.

"Bad cat. You shouldn't be in there."

I quickly adjust my mask, and rise to greet him. He is familiar with the procedure already, so he goes straight to my cabinet.

"Ah, Lord Fenkel. It is always a pleasure to see you. Have you been well?"

I turn to my butler. "Refreshments for Lord Fenkel, please."

"Well enough, Lord Satsu. The business is good, and now House Tekiel is out of the picture, many new opportunities has arisen. How have you been?"

"Pray take a seat, and let us cut straight to the chase," I suggest.

"I believe you wanted to discuss a purchase of Duralumin and Chromium. We have a certain amount already in store, but you will have to wait if you want more. The fall of Tekiel that you refer to also caused some trouble in the Aluminum market, I am afraid, so we have to deal with secondary sources to fill the demand."

Lord Fenkel takes a seat. I can feel him tapping on his Duraluminminds. As all Aluminum alloys, Duralumin is expensive these days,so he has his metalminds arranged in the form of tasteful bracelets. I tap my Nicrosil, lessening the effects somewhat and wonder. Connection is a two-way street, so when I attenuate the effects on me, does he feel it too? I was never crass enough to ask. Maybe I should ask one of the Cats who have that ability. Mght come in handy.

I return my attention to the person in front of me. He seems more congenial and charming now, and though I know that for an illusion, I cannot help but feel it. Unlike Emotional Allomancy, the effects of Duralumin still work on me.

"Direct as always, Lord Satsu. That is what I like about dealing with you. None of that fancy intrugue and talking in circles.. It may be a bit boorish, but refreshing. " Lord Fenkel talks to me like I am his best friend. Still, he is dangerous, in his own way. But profitable. Friends, then.

I barely stop myself from smiling broadly.

"Thank you, Lord Fenkel. As you said, I am direct. So, what do you need? Here what we can ship to you tomorrow..."

We discuss business for a while. At one moment, some of my scars twitch, and I briefly wonder what is Alfie up to.

[ooc]Hmm... There is another CI's area not too far from where you are now, if I read the map correctly. She is quite lazy, though.[/ooc]

Stars, literal bright lights, spun around Alfie's head. His spikes almost felt like they were vibrating, rocking back and forth in their sockets. Alfie started burning steel and wrenched himself to his feet, using invisible lines of force to keep himself functional despite the pains in his body. He collapsed, his mind started to wander. He had to get up before she attacked again. He flared tin.

A cascade of pains and bright sensations filled his world. Everything got hotter and sharper. It woke him up.

The woman was sitting on a crate looking at him. She had short brown hair, cheap looking clothes, and a lot of scars criss crossing her body and wrists. A fighter. Alfie felt his leg slipping beneath him and sent a pulse of force out to the metal floor beneath his body keeping him up. She spoke at him.

"Here kitty kitty. Don't worry. I won't hurt you. Much." Alfie started burning electrum. One future led to him collapsing with a knife stuck in his body. He pounced to the left away from it as she flung a knife at him which thudded hard into a wooden crate. Alfie sped away at great speed from her, looking for an exit. Soon after he turned a corner and rammed straight into a man. He felt all his pains return as he collapsed to the floor. Everything went woozy.

A little later he heard the woman arrive. He flared tin again and forced himself conscious.

She stood across from them, twirling a knife in her hand. The man held him cradled in his arm like a human baby, and seemed to be protecting him. She spoke.

"Hand over my toy. I am so bored in here. I want some fun."

The man stepped back and shook his head as he replied.

"I don't think I can do that, Abigail. You're not the only one who has their needs." He grinned at the woman, daring her to approach. She stepped forward. Alfie then felt the man swell, his muscles bulging visibly around him.

"Go screw yourself you worthless tarnish." The woman swayed on her feet. Alfie hoped she wouldn't attack. She didn't. She huffed, twisted around and walked off.

The terrisman's muscles returned to their normal size again and he walked off, speaking quietly to Alfie.

"Time for my fun now."

After a while, Lord Fenkel leaves, our business concluded. He arranged for a shipment of Duralumin tomorrow, and another, along with some quantity of Chromium and Nicrosil, a week later.

I had sufficient deposits for immediate shipment, in fact, but i wanted to hold on to them for the moment. I have compiled a list of orders and sent Finnar to take care of them, so my social tasks for today were done, barring emergency.

I was worried. The scars twitched once more during my negotiations, but they didn't provide much detail - for all I knew, Alfie could be dead. Or mating. The reaction didn't distinguish, or tell me the position. It just was.

We paced in our study, uncertain. We had no way of tracking Alfie. The second gauntlet would have helped us deal with whatever stressed him... Probably. We did nyot remember much of the last time we used it, except for red mist, and rain, also red. Nyaa... We had to trust in his abilitiesss.

I calm down a little, reaching a decision. I may not be able to locate him, but I sure could not concentrate on my designs. A walk might help to clear my head.

I unlock one of the secret compartments on my study withdrawing a gauntlet. It is a simple piece, not really a Harvester since I cannot remove or reuse the spikes that make it up without losing most of the charge in the process, more of a prototype. Two Steel, two Iron and Pewter, all charged. I don't wear it, hiding into a small backpack along with a set of metals. Then I inform one of the maids that I will be away for a while, and head out.

He went in and out of consciousness, being gently carried around the building through countlessgiant stacks of crates. Eventually they reached a corner, far away from anyone else. The man laid him softly down on a blanket and walked away. Alfie tried to move and managed to shakily stand up for a moment. Then a sharp stabbing sensation shot through his leg and he collapsed again to the floor. He wasn't going anywhere.

In time the man came back with a toolbox. The man put it down and sat next to Alfie. He reached out and started gently stroking Alfie's fur, his hand ever so soft and skilled, avoiding bruises and injuries.

"We'll have to get you all cleaned up then."

The man then opened his toolbox. From it he drew a few strips of meat. Alfie risked burning tin again and winced as pain intensified all over his body. It didn't smell like anything had been added. Alfie took the food and chewed it, thankful for it.

The man then took out a cloth and a metallic bottle of water. He went all over Alfie, removing clumps of dirt and blood, ever so softly cleaning his fur.

Soon after he drew out a brush. He combed and cleaned Alfie, making his fur look and feel ever so glossy. He went over every inch of Alfie, drawing out the pains with his soft brush, ever so sensitive to Alfie's every movement of pain or pleasure.

The man then put away the tool and drew out a strange leather thing. It was a long curved object with straps on it. The man spoke, his voice soft and calming.

"Don't worry, this is a splint. I'm going to put it on your leg. That horrible lady left it rather damaged and I doubt you can stand on that leg without this." He then took Alfie's leg and strapped it onto him.

Alfie winced slightly as it went on but the man was patient and very careful so it was never too agonizing. After he stood up. The splint supported the weight of his leg and allowed him to move.

He could now move. The man was helping him but he preferred to get out of here before anyone else came back. He quickly started off as soon as the man's back turned off to his toolbox.

From behind him he heard the sound of clothes falling to the floor and the man speaking.

"Wait! We haven't even started the fun part! Here kitty kitty." He went faster, using steel pushes to lighten his weight.

He sped off and soon found a torn up part of the wall at the side. Using a strong steel push he ripped it open and went through to the outside. He went off, seeking to return to Satsu's house.

I went out on the street without actually thinking where I was going. For about half an hour, I just wandered the streets aimlessly, looking around from inside my hood but actually seeing little. It has been a while since I've sent a cat on a dangerous mission alone. Most time, either I was around or the cat merely lived his or her life in a certain district, only occasionally reporting to me. Such lifestyle was quite safe, and gave me little cause to worry. Still, I had to get used to it, if we were to transit to more active operations. I sighed.

My wanderings has lead me to a relatively small alley, where I stopped to take my bearings. Except for a singe homeless man, apparently sleeping, the alley was empty. Well, at least I didn't wander into a mugging. It has happened once before. We look at the man suspiciously. Is he really sleeping? We scan him for traces of movement. Seems so. We look round again, and quickly scramble up the side of building, a feat only possible due to the flare of Pewter adding additional agility to our body, nya. That, and the fact the uneven brick wall of this particular buildings provides ample handholds.

The height calmed me down. The view, however, showed me stupidity of such stunt, since I now gazed directly at the police station. Still, they were used to Allomancers. Let's hope they won't mind. I sat down to enjoy the view and gather my thoughts. The communication was a problem. Split copper may work, for cats - the experiments were still in their early stage - but copper spikes were not very useful for human, and the spike could not be split indefinitely anyway.

I was engrossed in these thoughts when I noticed a constable in the window eying me suspiciously, so I jumped back into the alley and headed towards my home. When approaching my garden, I nyoticed a limping cat heading in the same direction.

"Alfie? What happened to you?"

He looked beaten up, and sported a splint. A memory arose, intersected with another, and my voice was colder, more metallic, when I spoke without thinking.

"Whom do I kill?"

Alfie wobbled through the streets, sharp stabs of agony shooting through him with each step. He tried not to think anymore. He just stared at his electrum ghosts, his small remaining stocks quickly dwindling, pulsing steel through the environment to try and keep himself up. Eventually his electrum ran out and he paced on, his mind a hot red mess of agony, trying to get back to somewhere safe. In time his steel ran low and he could no longer burn it at such a high rate. He started pulsing it for flashes of vision and sight to get him home.

Initially he had sought to go in the alleyways, away from any humans who could hurt him. But in time he lost focus and began staggering directly home in the most direct fashion he could manage. He instinctively sent out a signal with his metals, soothing curiosity and aggression softly as he went. Whenever he collapsed he flared his tin to wake him up. As he went on he had to do that more and more despite the agony.

Eventually he reached the house and saw Satsu. By now he had very little metal left at all. Even his tin was running low. His steel had run out a while ago. His fur was dusty and muddy from pacing through dirty places with no care at all. Everything hurt. But he had to speak. He spoke softly to Satsu, his voice hoarse and sore. "... 'erris. Tin burn. Pain." Then he collapsed to the ground.

Terris tin burn? Whatever Alfie tried to say, it was not clear. For now, though, he needed immediate care. I quickly looked him over.

Bruises, damage, possibly cracked ribs and.. a splint? Somebody was taking care of him already, it seemed. Exhaustion. And impending withdrawal, of which he may not be even aware yet. As all Savants, he couldn't go for long without his metal before starting to suffer consequences, both physical and mental, and it was worse during shock.

That, I could do something about. I reached into my pack, shoving aside the gauntlet. There, in a small packet was a tube of metal grease. I never bothered taking it out, so not to forget to pack it. It was an emergency stash, containing all Allomantic metals except Aluminium and Duralumin mixed in with edible grease to prevent it from corroding. I never understood strange propensity of other people of keeping metals in alcohol, of all things. My own Nicrosil was largely kept in small, smooth spherical beads, easy to swallow.

Alfie won't swallow the stuff while unconscious, though, so I took out a water flask and dumped some of the grease in it, shaking until it emulsified and then pouring it down Alfie's throat. His breathing became somewhat easier, indicating that he started to burn. A pity one didn't usually burn Tin automatically, unless one was a Savant. I contemplated waking Alfie up by giving him a large Nicroburst with Investiture injection, but decided against it. The shock was not a good thing for him right now.

Carefully, I lifted his body and carried him into the house, where more comprehensive medical care could be given.