Caton: Second path

Satsuoni

He looked at the notes. He had since found more metals (the more common ones were everywhere in piles and vials and blocks and he had nicked some from somewhere they wouldn't be missed along his way) and had refilled his tin and could see every detail of the paper and the diagrams. He made a quick comment as the man put them away. "You spiked lots of cats and humans to make that diagram. You know lots about hemalurgy. You have science."

He listened carefully to him speak, nodding his head at his words. "I need the eye to see but yes I am ready. I have metal and will." He felt like he should add something. "Thank you for helping me get a new eye Satsu. I doubt the people outside would appreciate the beauty of metal."

I wince slightly at his comment. Quite a few of the points marked on the human diagram have corresponding scars on my body, scars that won't heal with pewter, or, I think, even gold. A lot of the cat's one, too.

"Refilled your metals, did you? Don't be surprised, I have just knyown you for a while. Besides, that is what those metals are for, so nyou loss. Here is your eye."

I affix the eye to the spike, its magnet slightly nicking the flesh around it with a number of small protrusions, so that the metal in it would not interfere with Steelsight.

"There you go. You should be able to remove it with your claws if you would want to, and since the cats don't usually show much white, most people don't notice if one eye does not turn."

"Now thenya. We should get going. There is a railroad not too far from here, that runs from Mycondwel to Wyllion. Unless for some reason you want to run all the way to Elendel, I suggest we board the train on the small station over there." -I point out the location on the map.

"I know the way I am going - I'll simply run to the station, using pewter. If you prefer, there is a small spikeway leading to the proximity of the station from the border of my holding, or you can just sit on my shoulders. Which one suits you better?"

He slumped down slightly, offering no threat. "My disguise is only to hide from humans, not you."

The man put his eye on. He tried not to wince at the sharp thing being so near his eye. Or where his eye had been. He could still feel the metal going through him, pulsating with power and possibilities. A lot of cats and humans must have gone under that man's spike and pewter hand to make that map. He shivered slightly. There was always the risk that one day he would add to that knowledge.

He gripped the steel in his paw a little tighter, the start of his escape plan. He'd soothe and riot him, flaring his power to disorient the man for a few seconds. With pewter the man could be very fast. Then he'd push and get away as fast he could. He'd spotted a service elevator cut through the rock that led upstairs to the metallurgy labs. Presumably to avoid too much interaction between the humans and the staff and haul up metals. He could get up there, though it was on the outskirts and would be quite hard to reach. Once he was outside he could hide very well in the forests... But the man was talking again, about the eye. He slumped down again, showing completely sincere submission, purring slightly.

"All they shall see is a cute cat wandering the streets."

He listened further. Standing on the man's shoulders? Risky.

"I'll go on the spikeway. If your enemies attack you dodge bullets better than I. I like flying too. It's intense."

"I see. Well, the spikeway goes from the edge of my holdings, as you probably know well. I shall go with you until that point, and then run. We shall meet at the station, where you can decide if you want to sneak into train yourself or go with me. Regardless,please make your presence known."

I shoulder my pack and head out of the room, trusting Alfie to follow, or go his own way. Well, he won't be getting much electrum on his own way, that is for sure, nya!

I go outside, passing the hall where some blood still remains, and head towards the spikeway at a slow jog, burning pewter only mildly, to stave off exhaustion. A Cat Inquisitor should have little trouble keeping up with me. It is not that far from here, through the forest.

"I'm used to riding on trains. I escaped onto trains several times. Nobody minds a furry passenger who is silent. I'll travel with you."

He followed the man out. He could still smell blood, intense powerful, getting into his nose. He pointedly ignored it, not wanting to await her and shut off his tin.

He soon reached the first spike. He wasn't that agile and couldn't go that fast but he had remarkable control with steel. He set the steel at a steady burn and saw a host of spiderwebs of blue in front of him. Some led to the metal beneath the ground (he could see a lot of undiscovered metal) but he ignored it. Two thin lines stretched ahead of him. One led to the first spike, another to the second. He ran up to the spike, awkwardly jumped over it, and burnt his steel strongly, pushing at the first spike.

He flew up into the air, soaring through the sky. Exhilarating. The air was rushing through his thick fur, chilling and exciting him. He had to time this right... the pushes were strong enough to make a fat human fly, they made him even faster. He flew over the second spike and pushed again... off to the train.

I followed the flying cat with my eyes for a moment, then burned pewter and started to run.

It was an easy enough run, and I tapped but slightly into my Nicrosilminds, enhancing the burn and feeling more complete with the Investiture in me. I knew the road well, so I ran without thinking.

"They will end you, you know."

I almost ran into the tree before righting myself. This happened sometimes, when she awoke. I was never sure if that was truly her thoughts or just my delusions, nor did I particularly care.

"The cat inquisitors that you make will end you, end us, one way or another"

There was little inflection to the voice. She no longer cared about living or dying. She also could not speak without borrowing parts of my soul, so once again I was not sure if that were even her thoughts.

She spoke the truth. One way or another, unless humans managed to deal with me first. Investiture, Nicrosil and pewter made me almost immune to a single assault, if any of them decided to attack. But each repelled assault was making more vulnerable for a time, since I tended to empty one of my metalminds during it. Five attacks stretched over hour, or one that was lucky or planned well enough, and I will die. I counted on the cats' egoism to prevent that. Most of them were smart enough to see me as convenience, providing food metal and cover. They were not about to endanger that and possibly die in the process, too.

"Or so you think."

Aye, or so I think. If I am attacked by humans, though, many would stand aside, and let me fight it out. Not everybody, but many.

"That is the least of the danger. Maybe you should stop. Stop doing that, at least."

No. I shall not stop. More cat inquisitors will be made, until they can sustain themselves, and then...

"And then we end."

Consumed by such thoughts, I quickly reached the outskirts of the small settlement surrounding the train station. Keeping a lookout for Alfie, I proceeded to the station after ensuring that I had my glasses on and I didn't slouch too much. People knew of me here, and didn't pay too much attention anyway, some even nodding in greeting. I nodded back. Politeness cost me nothing.

I reached the station. The attendant there was new, and looked at me strangely, but money talked louder than my appearance ever did, and he lead me to a seat, explaining that the next train should be around in half an hour or so. I waved him around and sat down, looking around for a cat that should have been around here already.

Alfie loved commuting. It was something he never had much chance to do back in his old home. The rush of the air, the way the landscape flew past. It was exciting. Admittedly he could live without the rush hour and people stamping and smelling strongly, but most of it amazed him. He was really looking forward to this ride.

He couldn't see the next spike. He looked around and found a source of metal a little ahead. A moving one. With a push he slowed himself and landed on the top of a tree. He steadied himself and looked down to see what it was. Through the trees he could see a man. A wood cutter. He was looking from side to side, confused at why his axe had suddenly jerked aside. Oops. He looked around again and found another source of metal. The man had a lighter in a nearby camp. Jumping from branch to branch, tree to tree, he found his way to the camp. He jumped off the tree, pushing against the metal, hovering in mid air. He started to burn electrum, trying to work out which way to go, looking at shadows flying off into the air.

A shout came out from the woods.

"I know you're there, get out of my camp you dirty kid." Alfie's tin ears could hear the man stamping towards him, quite close. Worrying. Thinking quickly, Alfie spoke loudly into the night, his voice high pitched and whiney.

"You have not seen the last of the Kelsier appreciation club! We will have our rights!"

By now he knew the way. He was close. One more push would get him there. He pushed hard against the metal, crushing it into the ground, and flew away at a huge speed. As he flew he considered the scene. He was pretty sure the man hadn't seen him.

He landed just outside town, slowing to a stop over the last spike. He sneaked in through town avoiding letting anyone see him and soon reached the train station. Satsu was already there so he walked under his seat and sat there, hiding under the man's legs.

The cats body butted my legs. I glanced down to ascertain that it is indeed Alfie. It was, so I nodded to him, and resumed reading a newspaper which I have procured from a boy nearby. There were no news about mysterious beasts or even more mysterious disappearances, so I could at least hope that most of the Cat Inquisitors out there had a good sense of keeping their activities discreet - not that I knew what most of those activities were, nya!

The train came on time. Mycondwel was not a very popular destination, so I could easily arrange a separate first-class carriage for myself and Alfie, specifically mentioning that I was planning to sleep, so I was not to be bothered by servants. Scooping him before he could protest - appearances were important, and few cats were well-trained enough -or had little enough pride - to just follow the voice commands. I brought him into the carriage, closed the door behind myself and released him.

The train departed the station soon after, going on to the next station, Wyllion. I locked the door, and turned to Alfie.

"It is still several hours till nyext station. What are you going to do to pass the time? Want me to have a look at your spike?"

He could feel his power pulsating inside him. The tin, electrum, steel. Even the metals of his spikes. He could burn those in an emergency. He hoped they would be enough for the task ahead. To defeat his foe while remaining uncaught.

He heard the train arriving, the sound extremely loud to his ears. He got ready to follow the man in. He was shocked when he was unceremoniously picked up and carried in. He tensed up, his fur going on end and his paws sticking out, completely still. When they got in the train he shivered deeply, from head to tail. He didn't like being carried. Trying to shake it off he jumped up on the table and went to the window staring out into the distance.

He heard the man's question and replied, not looking back, just watching the town go by fast.

"Wouldn't removing my spike cause me agonizing pain and weaken me a lot before the mission? I'd prefer to watch the outsides. I love being in trains."

Alfie bristled all over. We felt uncomfortable with that, or rather I did. the cat within me couldn't care less.

"Sorry about carrying you, Alfie" - I said. "Unfortunately, it was necessary to keep up appearances. Now, I wasn't goinya to extract yours pike, just take a look at it while it was in place, but you are right, it would have been... uncomfortable."

For both of us, since taking a look included joining the spike to one of my secondary bind points. Apparently, he was unaware of certain methods in my employ, and this was a kind of information I didn't volunteer unless asked about.

Still, his behavior seemed a bit off since that time. Should I be careful or let the process go its way? I will let it slide for nyaw...

"Well, enjoy the journey, then. Maybe see if you can learn something of interest in other carriages. I'll work on the phenotype, and maybe nap for a while. Call me if you need something."

[ooc]It seems that Alfie is influenced by the aberrant spike quite a bit, or is it just me? ANyway, unless some encounter happens, my next post will be around arrival to Elendel[/ooc]

He looked back at the man, trying to explain how he felt about the things. "I can't tolerate pain. I never was strong. Smart, but not strong. You seem stronger. Smart too."

Alfie continued staring out at the landscape rushing past. Trees vanished in the blink of an eye, hills held steady, blue far away. He felt safe, calm here. He could sense the man's wariness from the shudder in his step and explained.

"My family took me on train rides. They had a mine which we rode to a lot. I miss them. I'll spy for you. But in a while."

He continued staring out of the window, lost in memories.

OOC. Alfie is influenced by the spike. He wasn't influenced by the spike in the last post though. He really loves trains and really doesn't like pain. I change his speech pattern and the way he thinks when the spike is influencing him. He hasn't been influenced by the spike since... ohhh... about a week ago. If he seems weird, that's just because he's an infantile cat who had a magical spike jammed into him and suddenly had to deal with a new world. He's increasing in intelligence rapidly, but he's a long way off being at top form. He mostly still thinks in cat terms, not human terms.

He has all of his metals turned off at the moment, though in a little while he'll turn them back on and listen into conversations around and get any local gossip. He can hear any game master hints you wish to reveal about our upcoming adventure.

OK. OOC stuff for now, you know why :( . Ok, let us see.

In the 2-nd class carriage with separate quarters travel two constables. The go from Mycondwel to Elendel. They are discussing those two fugitives that we killed, which you can infer from their description or possibly from the wanted poster they have on the table. It is not secret stuff, so they don't bother hiding. The pair is still presumed alive.

In the third-class carriage with seats (instead of quarters), a minor functionary from House Tekiel bemoans his house's bankruptcy to the functionary from Yomen House. Apparently they also return from Mycondwel. In the same carriage, there are several workers from nearby towns, in several groups. Some are playing cards, and discuss nothing of much consequence not related to their bets. Some discuss working conditions. Of some (but not much) interest are those discussing metal shippings.

In one group, workers express some fears about rising crime rate in the 6th Octant of Elendel, especially in the poorer regions. There is some talk about new gang, possibly with allomancers, but mainly rumors, nothing of substance.

In the first-class carriage, there are 3 occupied compartments now. One compartment holds 2 sleeping people, minor nobles. We are in another one. In third there is a single terrisman from Tathingdwel, awake and reading some book.

You can choose which, if any, rumors, etc you will hear, and decide to investigate something in more detail, in which case you can defer to me or provide them yourself (within reason).

I nod to Alfie and continue sketching, lost in thought.

Everything went dark around him. He looked out the window frantically, scratching the glass. Soon after the world appeared again. He sighed in relief, letting his paws untense. They weren't dying. His mood was gone though, killed by the mysterious darkness that had surrounded the train.

He got up and started pacing towards the next cabin. With a slight steelpush the door swung open to him a bit and he nosed his way through.

Pacing completely silently, he entered another top class carriage. A terrisman was there reading some book. He sneaked through the cabin, asking an electrum ghost what the book held. He didn't want to mess with this terrisman. He had heard they had some incredible powers and could move faster than a bullet, heal from any injury, think faster than any man. He didn't want to provoke him and be smashed into a bloody pulp. If whatever he learnt was important he could scout further later.

In the next carriage two policemen were talking. He listened to their conversation.

"... He was like a brother to me. I went to battle the scum on the street with him on a daily basis. He was like a family member. I'd have let him into my home and let him put his damnation fat legs down on my chair and eat my food. damnation. And they killed him. Bastards. They're lucky they fled to easier pickings."

The other man nodded consolingly, his face angry and red.

"We'll get them yet. I don't care if we have to track them to the end of the earth. We'll make them choke and scream as they face the hangman's noose. Those rich kids thought they could do anything. Driving around their fancy automobile. They were driving like madmen and he came up to tell them to stop and they just blew a hole in his chest, right in front of you." The man shook his head and continued speaking in a calmer voice.

"I talked to the locals. They reported seeing the people around town asking questions about if there was anyone rich looking for some hired help. They pointed them to a few people. Some merchants selling wood and food, some crazy mine owner far past his prime, the village mayor. I asked the mayor about the scumbags and he said they came to steal from him but they ran off once he threatened to blow their brains out with his blunderbuss. All the rest of the people are quite far off. We can question them again later."

Alfie suddenly worried that he would be captured, tortured, found out. He'd fail Satsu and end up some foul spectatle on his table, another set of marks on his diagram of death. Then, as quickly as the feeling had came, it left. The other constable clenched his fist and spoke, his voice calm and clear.

"We will make them talk."

Alfie slumped down. He should have died with his family in that house. That would have been a better death, where he hadn't been a coward and ran. He should be... he pushed back against the feeling. This wasn't him. These were not his feelings. Forcing his legs up he sneaked past the constables, onwards.

Alfie quickly left the cabin. Were those really his emotions? Did they force him to feel that or just bring it to the surface?

OOC. One is a rioter, the other a soother, good cop and bad cop. The original encounter didn't go quite as said. They stopped the car because they don't like rich people and wanted to feel good about themselves by intimidating some kids. If this contradicts any ongoing story things you have, I am fine cancelling it.

Once in the final carriage he pushed down his feelings and focused on the mission, listening to the worker's comments, noting especially any rumours about allomancer gangs and listening with a open but disinterested ear to anything relevant about metal shipments or interesting about the now bankrupt house. Yawning, he hid behind a big bag, his tin enhanced ear and electrum ready to warn him of any threats. Unless a situation came up, he would then return to Satsu to report.

OOC. Once again, not too much content, so I'll add an image :unsure:

The book is a treatise on Feruchemy, quite new and limited only to a few high-ranked Terrismen. This Terrisman is a Steel Ferring (full Feruchemists are very rare these days, although not unheard of yet. His Metalminds are full, so he'd probably be able to fight Alfie off or at least escape.

The story is fine, some background on the characters is appreciated.

The chatter of the workers contains several names and places that were robbed or mugged recently, as well as speculation on possible culprits amongst more notorious criminals.

EVENT: At one small station, barely worth the name and serving mainly as a fuel and water store, a tall man boards the train. He isn't distinguished in any manner when looking at the outside, in fact, he is quite unremarkable. However, Alfie's Steelsight allows him to see strange discrepancies within. The distribution of metals in the body is quite different, and whoever it is has two metal spikes within shoulders. There are also several small pieces of metal inside his pack, and some others embedded in his abdomen. He looks at Alfie suspiciously for a moment before heading towards Terrisman's carriage.

I sit engrossed in my work. I sketch several possible spike layouts, including the one I think of as ideal: <sketch> before, regretfully, coming back to the reality of the situation - situation of not having nearly enough spikes - and trying to design a sequential spiking process for Engineers. One problem was that the original spikes changed layout of binding points, most often slightly, but sometimes drastically, especially if the exterior changed. I had to guess, and work out the best initial spikes to minimize the risk...

Alfie sat under a table. It was dark, hidden, and empty. More importantly he could hear everything. He flickered his attention from one conversation to the next.

"...lost the game. That means you get to take my shift and get to guard that aluminium shipment. It's not my fault if Big Bob said he's gonna gank anyone..."

"...sister lost her innocence to that ruffian. My brother too. At the same time. He calls himself Harmony but he's no god. Just a man who can connect with anyone. Even a jewelry clerk..."

"...broke in, muscles bulging, and took everything. I've never seen a pewter twinborn before. It was... terrifying. They don't pay us enough for this. I didn't see his face but I bet it was Big Bob..."

Itchy. He bent over and licked his belly. Lots of rumors to pass on, much information. He swung his legs around and used them to scratch behind his ears. Itchy itchy.

Soon they arrived at a station. A man came in. He burned steel and looked at him. He had spikes. Another inquistor? One of the men of the man? He hadn't mentioned anyone. And he had metal to burn. Could the man see him burning metals? He softened his burning and crept after him, making sure to stay out of sight and not make a sound, using electrum to work out where he was going and what he would do. Shadows crept out, some turning back, some stopping and reversing.

Soon he arrived to the cabin of the constables. He carefully hid himself near the riotman and stared out with his steel. Far in the distance he could see the man, spiked and ready with metal, pouring over a text of some sort. A cat, it looked like, with spikes in it. Probably nothing important, so he could communicate with him. He reached down for the metals deep inside him, a pool of hot fire and grasped one. Burning his zinc he sent a burst of emotional allomancy at Satsu, enflaming his curiosity and his anticipation for a moment in a way that would be hard to mistake as natural. It was hard sending it this far, almost thirty or forty paces, but just about doable.

He then held up his paw, motioning for a stop, pointed at the inquisitor man, and then pointed his paw at Satsu, palm open, and pulled Satsu towards him metaphorically. He hoped, if Satsu could see this far, he would get the message. Come watch, but not too fast.

Creeping carefully he got besides the door and jumped on a table. From here he could access the window if he had to. Then, his steel sight ready, he watched the encounter.

OOC. I am imagining fairly short first class railcarts, perhaps twenty paces along. The layout is something like (with each - meaning one pace and . indicating a door)

-------.---------Satsu-------.--------Terris-------Inquisitor man. -Window-------Alfie-Police-------.--Workmen, miners etc--.

The rpg indicates that the normal range for emotional allomancy is ten paces while with practice you could make it 100 paces. You can decide if Alfie is strong enough to reach you with his zinc.

I was concentrated on my work, when suddenly a splitting headache hit me. Literally splitting - I could almost feel parts of my mind doubling and separating, and my left eye saw double as well. Curiosity? Anticipation? What? Emotional allomancy! Ever since I got the spike lodged in my brain it never worked right on me. I tapped on my Nicrosilminds to get the effects off, and looked around for the source, quickly spotting Alfie. For a moment, I was tempted to give him what for, to just burn Pewter and tap Nicrosil, and unscrew his spikes right in the middle of the train... Wait, what is he pointing at? I glanced in the direction of his paw, spotting a man disappearing into next compartment. What about him?

A smell reached me then. It was faint, well below the level a human could smell it, and almost below my sensitivity, which was only about half of a cat's at the moment. It teased my memory... I couldn't remember. Maybe it was not my memory? I needed to smell it better, and maybe to remember. It seemed important. Very important...

I tapped Investiture, directing it into my spike. I could feel her... us, and this time I didn't languish in blissful limbo. I fed her more power, and then gave up control, as

My influence grew. The body followed suit, hemalurgical transformation fueled by excess Investiture. My cheeks split almost to the ears, revealing rapidly receding molars, my claws regrew, my nose widened and shortened, becoming pink, my fur grew more dense. Once the male was in control again, the body will revert, slowly if not fed more power, or rapidly otherwise. My testicles sunk into my body, although not all the way to their proper place. I could feel the human male hoping that nobody except Alfie noticed, but I didn't care, for what did old, dead cat care about such things?

I could smell it better now. The smell of acid was in the air, already dissipating. I remembered now. My memory provided an image of a strange man in the alley way, throwing up his skeleton. The stench of acid was strong then, and I ran away, fearing for my life. The human memory provided an explanation. It was a Faceless one, a kandra, direct servant of the Harmony. He probably knew we were here. Harmony certainly did, and even if he haven't told his servant, kandras could smell even better than cats, and our smell was... wrong. I could feel human, my friend and master, wanting me to do something. He wanted to talk to that cat over there? Fine. I motioned to the cat to come. My time was running out, so I stretched in the warm light of the sun falling from a window and closed my eyes, feeling myself fading again.

Alfie waited, listening to every movement the inquisitor man made. Was the inquistor there to kill the cat man? He didn't appear to be heavily armed but with the spikes... no, he seemed to have stopped near the terrisman. The cat man's anger passed quickly and he soon started sniffing the air. Soon after he started to transform, changing into a cat form. Was there a transformation spike? He didn't know. Anyway it wouldn't matter too much.

He wanted him to come over? He could go through the cabin but then he might be captured and killed. The window was a better option. The cat man was safe from immediate assault and had probably already used some powers. He looked outside with his steelsight, looking for any metal. Just his luck, there was a fence nearby with metal nails. He swung around and pushed against it, using it to throw him up onto the train.

Scrambling he tried to avoid falling, pushing against the train to slow his swerving body, feeling air rush over his fur and freeze him. He quickly came to a halt. He then used his steel push against a wide area of metal (thus avoiding making push sound) behind him and flew over to the cat man's cabin. Pushing hard against another large area he padded down and slid across the metal roof, swerving to a stop. With another twist of his body and a push against the fence he slid down into Satsu's cabin, flying over his head.

He walked up to the cat form and sniffed it. It smelled... different. Not bad but different. He nuzzled his face across Satsu's side and spoke softly to him. "He entered in the workman's cabin, walking proud and mighty. He had some spikes and some metals and so he may be an allomancer of sorts."

He looked up again at the two men, his ears burning tin so he could hear every word or whisper. Looking back, he spoke in a more apologetic tone.

"I am... sorry I had to use emotional allomancy on you despite your warning. Long story short, I thought he might be coming to kill you. Plus I thought you'd be interested in this inquisitor or thing with spikes."

He looked over the cat body.

"I like your new form, Satsu. You look good."

I regained myself, well as much as that was me, nya. As usual, sudden and severe changed in soul balance left me with a horrible headache, a spike aching .. well, as a spike driven in the head should. Alfie was apologizing, his voice adding a saw-like quality to the pain. I winced.

"Nyashhohsssskkkhhh myashhh nyanya!"

Oh great. My voicebox changed too much, and while I could probably relearn how to speak, it would take a lot of time. Besides, my body was changing back to the normal equilibrium, although slowly. I accelerated the process somewhat, tapping more Investiture. This sent waves of new pain through my body, this time concentrating on testicles which now were being squeezed between bones and my metalminds, but my head cleared, and I could speak, after a fashion.

"Nyat issh nyo Inkhquishitrr."

Maybe a bit more. Ouch.

"Zat ishh Kandra, a ssserwangth oh Harmyanya." I should really study how Cats manage to speak without lips and half teeth. Obviously, they compensated somehow, but I'd be damned if I knew how. I didn't in fact know much about how their internal structure changed, except for the fact that they had two heart -the second a single two-compartment pump, really - and half their brain displaced into torso by spikes. I shook my head, tapped more Nicrosil, and tried to speak again.

"Kandra, or Fashelessh One. They are rare, zhey are few and they ssserfe Harmony. So initiating conflict with one iss not advised, nya" I was getting the hang of it.

"Although you'd probably be able to overcome one with emotional allomancy. At leasht I believe so, nya. Still, if Harmony decides to interfere, we are done for. Also, they have excellent sense of smell, so he should be aware of our presence. As it decided to ignore us for now, we shouldn't be too obvious in our presense."

My mind was still muddled. I shook my head again.

"Now, Kandra here may mean several things. They are not allomancers, at least I've never heard of one. Most likely, he is carrying more of the Pathian earrings. That is what they are relatively well know for after all - converting people into Pathian religion, and giving them Hemalurgic earrings."

I sighed.

"Given the amount that you saw, he probably intends to use that terrisman as an intermediary. You should listen to what they say - your ears are better than mine, especially with Tin - , discreetly if possible. I hope that at least the human doesn't know of your presence."

I stretched, hearing a few of my joints pop back into more proper alignment, and rummaged in my pack. Ah, there.

"Still, I thank you for your concern. Nyext time please try to avoid Emotional Allomancy. Do you want some semi-dry fish with Tin and Electrum?"

Alfie patiently waited, head rested on paws, watching the transformation occur. With his metal sight he could see the man's organs and body parts shift and adjust as he changed shape. It must be a real relief for him to shift into his cat form. He didn't know how humans managed without being flexible enough to lick their balls. What did you do if they were itchy?

Kandra. He had heard of them. The man was speaking with a curious accent when he talked of them, but that was probably just a side affect of the transformation.

"In my briefings... Kandra were the shapeshifting asassins of lord ruler." He blinked, trying to remember. "They were paid in atium. Empress Vin had a dog one as her loyal subject." He hissed in memory of cruel chasing dogs.

"I'll listen in, with electrum, steel, and tin. I can read their lips with steel. I won't be missing any words, through noise fog or metal. For the future when I want to talk I'll use this steel code." He tossed up the piece of metal held in his paw and levitated it.

"One push red, am in danger come soon." The metal bobbed up. "Two pushes orange, come cautiously." The metal bobbed up above his paw twice. "Three pushes green, be wary but alert, don't come." The metal bobbed up and down in the air thrice. "One long push, deep red, you are in danger, run."

Even as he said this he kept his eyes and ears focused on the cabin, watching and listening to their words. He repeated the words and actions to the man quietly, burning electrum and asking his future self about any big insights- rare metals, about Sazed, about feruchemists, or them being attacked. He heard the man's last question and responded.

"Fish is always good."

I get out a packet of semi-dry fish from my pack, as well as a packet of metal mix for Alfie (Zinc, Steel, Electrum, Tin, Brass, in small beads that are easy to pick up and swallow), and put them into small dishes before him.

Wincing as my reverse transformation continues, I run my hand over the face, removing excess fur. Whiskers still stay on the side of my nose which has almost returned to my normal semi-human dimensions.

"Here you go" - I say quietly, so not to overload his tin-enhanced ears.

I consider asking Alfie to trail kandra as he leaves, but decide against it. There is no telling if the kandra would go to their lair with a cat following him, and it is better not to separate now.

In the end, I just settled down and listened to Alfie's report, grumbling a little.

"So much knowledge in those kandra, but dangerous to mess with."

[OOC]

The kandra is there to pass on the earrings for new Pathians, and to discuss some recent research on Feruchemy. Terrisman is part of the Synod, although not the top, and Pathian himself, so he is aware that he is dealing with kandra. He travels to Elendel on official Synod business with house Yomen. Feel free to extrapolate from that.

[/OOC]

Alfie nibbled the fish and restocked his metals, thanking Satsu. He wasn't that low on anything but electrum but it was always good to be stocked up. The metal tasted amazing. He loved the texture of the little balls on his tongue. Almost dirty. Delicious.

He listened in to the conversation, repeating the words as he saw and heard them.

"Earlier I heard a tekiel man talking to a Yomen man. Tekiel complained about their metal related bankrupcy. The Yoman man gave him a hint and said that house Yomen was researching a new refinery based off harnassing lighting. An arc furnace he said. He said chromium wasn't going to be profitable for much longer especially with the Terris on their side. And he thanked him for introducing his Tekiel hot sister to his Yomen socially awkward brother."

He listened some more, and watched the Kandra walk away. He burned electrum a little and shivered at the future.

"I'm glad we're not facing the kandra guy. That path would only lead to doom. That book he has though, that could be profitable. I saw it on my way out. It's filled with knowledge of feruchemy and Terrismen."

Alfie stretched out his legs and readied his metals. "I wouldn't want to face Harmony as Harmony is powerful but with your strength we can defeat a Terrisman."

Defeat a terrisman, huh. Would be it were so easy...

"While there is no doubt that we can defeat the terrisman, there is no telling what the repercussions will be, since defeating would mean killing, and this terrisman seems to be high enough in the ranks. He wouldn't have such a book with him otherwise, and his disappearance or death will be questioned. With just 30 active Cat Inquisitors, I don't think we are quite ready for that level of exposure yet."

I sigh. A Kandra for experimentation would have been nice... But later, when I will be able to afford the risk.

"The book, on the other hand, seems very important, especially if it describes new refining methods - I could surely use it, both for our organization and my finances - I can't mine all metals, you knyaw."

"So we should steal it, without arousing too much suspicion. It is getting late, and I am sure Terrisman is getting tired, unless... Did you check what metal he is using? Let us hope it is not Bronze. If it is, we may have to devise a new plan. If it is not, see if you can Riot his exhaustion, and persuade him to have a nap, and then report. If he hides the book where you can't reach, open the door for me, otherwise just grab the book and get it here. What do you think?"

What if I attacked him... burning electrum he peered into his future

He strode forward, metals at the ready. One paw forward he... sent a pulse of steel forward, probably. His hand darted quickly from side to side, tracking something, sending pulses of steel ahead. He flew backwards, body strained, pushing some heavy object. He looked up and to his side, at the cat man. He could recognize his expression. He shook, something massive and physical happening, now unconscious. He questioned his further future self, whispering to the air and discussing it with him. His future self didn't give him that clear an answer. He was clearly still shocked by the blow.

Drawing back, he tried to explain.

"He has some... physical ability. Great speed, or dodging ability, a good throwing arm. Perhaps steel, or pewter, or even zinc or tin if he's just that fit. I remember when I saw him he had silvery bands around his arm. It could be chromium even, extreme luck. It wasn't bronze or brass and probably wasn't any of the hybrid metals. Your plan seems... I hope he is asleep at least. He knocked out my future self." He looked up at Satsu, his eyes large and intense. "If I call, come."

He started softly rioting the Terris man's boredom and tiredness while soothing his excitement and attention. He would find it harder and harder to read his book or do anything and find sleep more and more attractive as time went on. The effect wasn't large but over time the man's real tiredness and boredom would increase and his allomancy powers would start to become much more effective. He waited, watching for signs of tiredness. Eyes rubbed, yawns. Then he would slightly intensify the push and pull on his emotions.

Edit. Part 2. Soon the man swayed over. Rubbing sleep from his eyes he put his book in his bag. Alfie then sneakily went through the windows and roof into his cabin.

Sneaking around, ever so silent, Alfie padded up to the man. He was lying on the table, resting on one arm, the other hanging out down to the floor. His silvery bracelet was hanging on his arm. Alfie went forward and to lick it. He lightly dabbed his tongue on the bracelet, putting no pressure whatsoever on it. Numnum. It tasted... pushy. A physical metal. Pewter or steel probably. He flared tin for a moment. The train started shaking, the sound screeching, every light was like a flare burning him. He quickly turned it off. Steel.

He nodded and pranced up onto the table in front of the man. His pack lay by his side, in the window seat. He grasped it with his teeth and carefully opened it. Lots of things within. There were earrings within a separate pocket. He couldn't easily open that one. And the book. He grasped it with his teeth and levered it out. He swung round with the book and his leg gave out.

The book crashed to the table and made a massive gonging noise that echoed through the cabin. The Terris man stirred. Alfie froze, stiff, fearing capture and death. The Terrisman reached out to him, arm strong, and pulled him close, bearhuging Alfie. Alfie stayed frozen, picturing his imminent death and murder.

The man murmured softly. "Oh Yella, you are so fine. And soft." Alfie waited. The man seemed to be asleep. He gently extracted himself from the man, closed his pack (he had forgotten before) and walked off to the door way. Nudging it open, using a little steel push, he walked back to Satsu. He then gently lay the drool covered book in front of him, his offering, and bowed his head.

"I 'ave eet. Eeese mahn ees 'eel." He spat out some book. Ew."Steel."

Edited by Nepene

While Alfie is gone, I stretch and tap more Investiture. With a few painful pops, my body recovers its normal equilibrium. I glance on some amount of fur that I've shed, displeased, and swallow a few more beads of Nicrosil to replenish what I just expended.

At this moment, there is crash in the Terrisman's compartment that made me jump. Was Alfie discovered? I look out of the door into the corridor, just in time to see Alfie come out, dragging a large leatherbound book with his mouth. The sight is quite comical, and I smile as I retreat back into my compartment. The cat drags the book to me and drops it, informing me that the man is Steel Feruchemist. Good thing we didn't fight him. Now to see what knowledge did this book of his contain. Before that, I address Alfie.

"Thank you, Alfie. I am sure this book will prove useful." - Also, I hope it won't be traced to me. I'll have to be circumspect with the knowledge contained within. - "I am not sure how to thank you properly, nya. For now, please have some more food and metals, and rest. I doubt we will be able to learn anything else useful until our arrival. Tell me if you need a massage."

With that, I turn my attention back to the book. I flip through it. At first, it contains a brief review of Feruchemy and Allomancy in general. No mention of Hemalurgy, but I am not surprised - to my knowledge, only Kandra and I know about its existence, as well as mythical Ironeyes, the last remaining human Inquisitor, as far as I could tell.

Ah, here is something interesting. A treatise on the use of Nicrosil by the Soulbearer Ferrings... Let us see. I know this... and this... Suspected, but never tried this part. So this is how it is supposed to work... But in general, not much that I don't already knyaw.

Wait, what is this? "New methods of purifying chromium from chromite ore by using aluminium or silicon as a catalyst in electric arc furnace." "The expense is significant, however, refer to the chapter 7 of this treatise to see a new promising method for purification of Aluminium itself, discovered by accident in one of the new furnaces." "The power provided by the furnaces is enough to purify silicon in large quantities."

This is interesting. I use a new furnace for creating nicrosil alloy, but it would seem hat I'll need a bigger one, and what do they say about Aluminum?

"Very interesting indeed. The knowledge about Feruchemy is valuable in itself, though limited, but these new processes may change a lot, especially while they are not commonly known. Thank you again, Alfie."

I return to reading.

Without further accident, train arrives to Elendel, and I regretfully close the book and collect my notes.

"Well then, this is our station. Shall we go?"

Alfie shook his neck, trying to relieve the strain. That had been one heavy book.

He replied to Satsu. "Thank you, but you humans make books way too big. And I looked inside with my steel sight, there's not even that many pictures to add to the beauty of it." He sighed. "I shall eat. Thank you for your delicious foods."

He went over to the supplies and nibbled on a fish. The taste and texture was always so intense and delicious when he was burning tin. He kept it on a simmer to avoid the pain and harshness of it, but even just a simmer made everything brighter. He licked a scale off his paw and dived into the meaty fishy deliciousness.

A while later, Alfie slightly fatter and the food significantly decreased he heard the cat man... Satsu. Names were important to humans. He repeated the word a few times in his head to fix it there. Satsu was talking to the air.

"I did well?" He purred and nuzzled his head against Satsu's leg. "Thank you, I did good." Alfie smiled. "I am ready to go. My metals are restocked and ready. You lead the way."

He started off, looking back and addressing Satsu.

"I remember when I first came here. My master was a ferring, a connector. A lot of the old miners were. The mines were one of the most few places they could go and be free from the rules of their close knit community and not be rejected. My master never paid for a ticket, not once. He didn't believe in it, and neither did the guards once they felt his feruchemy. I never got petted or looked at when he was doing his business. It'll be good to be the cute and cuddly this time when I leave."