New member and already had my first epic fail!

SteelSlinger

Hi all,

My name is Brandon and I just recently started reading more fantasy. I randomly picked book one of the storm light archive as I had never heard of Sanderson but saw he was very popular. Well since the beginning of the year I've read the first two books of the stormlight archive and the entire mistborn trilogy. Loving these books and I cannot get enough. I started the Allow of Law last night and that lead me to finding this forum to get to know of Sanderson's work and find some answers to many questions.

This leads me to the story behind my post title. I thought a cool user name for the forums would be steelslinger as a play on gunslinger and Wax's steel pushing abilities. Unfortunately I did not double-check my name after I entered it and the nasty auto-correct demons changed my name to steels linger, which is not only nonsense, but makes me sounds like I'm a thief that doesn't know when to leave. Any chance an admin could use some magic to change my name?

Anyway, looking forward to sharing adventures with you all and hope to be posting on a regular basis. Lastly, one question; what other books is Hoid in? The Stormlight Archives are my first encounter with him and I've read in other posts that he's a recurring character in the universe. (Which is freaking awesome.)

Edited by Steels linger

If you go to your profile, there's a large black button labeled "Edit my Profile". Click that. That will take you a menu with lots of options. On the far left there are a bunch of tabs. The third one down says Display name. That menus will allow you to change your name.

You might need to still sign in as Steels linger, but you'll appear as Steelslinger.

And welcome to the forums!

My name is Brandon

kq3yg.jpg

Anyway, welcome! 

Yeah, Hoid is a recurring character; in fact, he's in all of Brandon's Cosmere books.Stormlight Archive is the first (published) work where's he's had a major role though; he's been intended as small cameo's in Brandon's other books, like an easter egg for the readers to find.

Edited by Quiver

Thanks for the replies guys. I just finished Elantris in a week! Keeping eye out for Hoid but didn't see anything. Maybe I'm not sneaky enough. Good book though. spoiler question: Can anyone explain why digging the line in the ground fixed the map. Was there a break in the city wall he connected?

Can anyone explain why digging the line in the ground fixed the map. Was there a break in the city wall he connected?

The City of Elantris was in the shape of an Aon, the Aon of Spirit. When the Reod happened, all Aon's were invalidated, because they needed the chasm Line. So Raoden drew the Chasm line in the dirt. That fixed everything.

But the way that the book is written, it's really really unclear about where Raoden placed the chasm line. There's going to be a 10th anniversary edition that should make things clearer on that point. 

And welcome Brandon Steelslinger!

Thanks for the replies guys. I just finished Elantris in a week! Keeping eye out for Hoid but didn't see anything. Maybe I'm not sneaky enough. Good book though. spoiler question: Can anyone explain why digging the line in the ground fixed the map. Was there a break in the city wall he connected?

Hoid does show up, as a beggar to help Sarene get food into Elantris. He shows up closer to the end. Hope that helps! :)

The City of Elantris was in the shape of an Aon, the Aon of Spirit. When the Reod happened, all Aon's were invalidated, because they needed the chasm Line. So Raoden drew the Chasm line in the dirt. That fixed everything.

But I thought there was already a chasm created by the reode which broke the city map and that's why none of the Aons worked.

Edited by SteelSlinger