Theory: what are the bands of mourning?

Auger

So as soon as I heard about the bands being the ones that belonged to The Lord Ruler, I thought to myself what type of storage they might be. Now we have confirmed that TLR knew about all the metals but kept them secret, so what if it was an Alluminium storage? (Stores identity). My theory then is that TLR stored all of his sadness and sorrow and self loathing in a storage of this type, in order to make sure that he didn't act out of sadness and stop fighting back against Ruin? This could be why they are bands of 'mourning' as they house the identity of The Lord Ruler who simply wanted to give up and let Ruin live.

Thoughts? :)

Edited by Auger

There is no way he could have gotten nickel, chromium, or silicon to make nicrosil with that technology, those were not isolated until the mid 1800's.

Also, you can click that edit button to change things once you have posted.

There is no way he could have gotten nickel, chromium, or silicon to make nicrosil with that technology, those were not isolated until the mid 1800's.

Also, you can click that edit button to change things once you have posted.

I corrected it now so it says Alluminium. We know he definitely had Alluminium as the inquisitors make vin burn it when they capture her.

I quite like this idea. Very evocative. Is it right? Probably not, but we'll just have to wait and see. :)

True, but the Lord Ruler could have forseen the usefulness of having access to all the Allomantic metals, and fashioned personal stores of all of them while he held the power of the Well.

The problem with the Bands of Mourning being any of the Lord Ruler's metalminds is that only he would be able to access them, for them to be useful at all, and he's dead. :/ Something tells me that either we are going to learn something about how to access another Feruchemist's metalminds, or the Bands of Mourning will turn out to be something different entirely.

The Bands of Mourning is what locals call Elendels marching band. The trilogy has been a Machiavellian ploy to put Wax in a position to put the tuba lessons his uncle paid for to use.

...though I like the idea of TLR storing his identity. It would be neat if it was true. Do we know what a charged metalmind would do if it was turned into a spike, though?

...though I like the idea of TLR storing his identity. It would be neat if it was true. Do we know what a charged metalmind would do if it was turned into a spike, though?

I think the spike would have trouble holding that much investure. Remember you can only store so much in something at a time.

I think the spike would have trouble holding that much investure. Remember you can only store so much in something at a time.

Spikes also aren't that heavily invested though, I think it'd still work pretty well.

The problem with the Bands of Mourning being any of the Lord Ruler's metalminds is that only he would be able to access them, for them to be useful at all, and he's dead. :/ Something tells me that either we are going to learn something about how to access another Feruchemist's metalminds, or the Bands of Mourning will turn out to be something different entirely.

Don't forget that it was Sazed who told us about accessing another Feruchemist's metalminds. Coincidentally Sazed is now the guy who gets to decide what can and can't be done with allomancy and feruchemy, it's entirely possible he changed the rules.

Spikes only need a spiritweb chunk in them and whatever small amount of investiture is needed to keep that thing attached.

The bands are rumored to allow their user to use the lord rulers powers, right? Does storing identity allow the user to access other feruchemists metalminds? :B

In other words, if the bands were Alluminum, and someone stored their identity in them- would the "can't use other feruchemists storage" rule still apply? (because the magic system won't be able to tell if you're the same person or not, or something?)

Just a thought :V

DALENTHAS (15 OCTOBER 2008)

Did the Lord Ruler have any Hemalurgic spikes in him? It would seem he'd need to for Ruin to influence him, but it wasn't mentioned. Or did his bracers work as spikes?
BRANDON SANDERSON (16 OCTOBER 2008)
His arm bracers, which pierced his skin, were his spikes.

So reading theory land and I'm just going to note. They may indeed be metal minds. After all we know that he was able to use Gold Compounding which can heal damage to your spirit web and possibly restore your powers. If you spiked out and healed your own allomancy or feruchemy then Spike your self with your own spike that would make them stronger then they were just a moment ago.

I think that there's a good chance that there's more than one metal in there.  Multiple strips of different metals welded together to a multi-metalmind.  All your metalminds, in one convenient package!

Resurrection of TLR ---> No longer influenced by Ruin so he isn't a dick ---> Awesome new character to [censored] up in the Cosmere. Spodermon pls

Edited by WeiryWriter
please do not swear, and adding asterisks does not make that not a swear

I quite like this idea. Very evocative. Is it right? Probably not, but we'll just have to wait and see. :)

True, but the Lord Ruler could have forseen the usefulness of having access to all the Allomantic metals, and fashioned personal stores of all of them while he held the power of the Well.

Not wanting to spam my own theory, but...

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/27397-how-to-access-the-bands-of-mourning-connector-ferrings/?p=255831

Edited by TenzinKendrick

Don't forget that it was Sazed who told us about accessing another Feruchemist's metalminds. Coincidentally Sazed is now the guy who gets to decide what can and can't be done with allomancy and feruchemy, it's entirely possible he changed the rules.

We don't know if he can change the rules to that degree. I would guess he probably can't. Magic systems arise naturally, and we have yet to see an example of a Shard doing large-scale changes, particularly when we should have expected to see that.

The only changes we know of are Preservation changing which Mistings arose naturally (creating atium Mistings), Sazed altering koloss spike Hemalurgy (still not sure what's going on here, though I have had people claim you can't create koloss the old way anymore) and Sazed altering Snapping to be less brutal. (Snapping isn't even directly related to the magic system, just the interactions between your innate Ruin and Preservation, so that doesn't give us any evidence of him changing the magic systems.)

There are fairly useless metals in Allomancy that Preservation could have modified to be better for fighting Ruin, for example. Some of Roshar's systems could use a similar treatment. Sazed doesn't like Hemalurgy, and should have modified it to be worthless and only steal your favorite flavor of food.

Agate (15 October 2008)

KAIMIPONO

On a broader level, is hemalurgy officially dead, then? Or is it still extant in some Ruin-free (but still messy) form? (If it's gone, is there any imbalance since Preservation's magic power is kept and Ruin's isn't?)

BRANDON SANDERSON

Is Hemalurgy dead? No, not at all. It, like the other two powers, was not created by Ruin or Preservation, but by the natural state of the world and its interaction with the gods who created it. It still requires the same method of creation, but very few people are aware of how it works.

(source)

• Chaos locked this topic