The Expanse of the Densities corresponds to Ashyn

WeiryWriter

As I compare the two images of the AU Starmap and the Shadesmar map I come to a slightly different conclusion.  Expanse of Vapors = Scadrial, Expanse of Vibrance = Nalthis, then I see the Expanse of Densities as Taldain (being the World of White Sands, it's magic system is based on investiture into the sand itself right?).  That leaves the Expanse of the Broken Sky and I would like to posit that maybe this points to the Scar.  Nobody seems to have touched on it yet.  Does it appear as a tear in the night sky from the physical realm of Roshar?  Anyway, just my casual thoughts.

45 minutes ago, Aradishar said:

As I compare the two images of the AU Starmap and the Shadesmar map I come to a slightly different conclusion.  Expanse of Vapors = Scadrial, Expanse of Vibrance = Nalthis, then I see the Expanse of Densities as Taldain (being the World of White Sands, it's magic system is based on investiture into the sand itself right?).  That leaves the Expanse of the Broken Sky and I would like to posit that maybe this points to the Scar.  Nobody seems to have touched on it yet.  Does it appear as a tear in the night sky from the physical realm of Roshar?  Anyway, just my casual thoughts.

The investiture isnt in the Sand itself, but is in the sunlight (which comes from the sky) which then invests tiny microbes that live on the sand.

But really, Taldain is the only planet where the sky has any strange anomaly and where it is an important part of how its inhabitants view the planet. It really is the most intuitive choice here.

On 12/1/2016 at 11:07 AM, Blightsong said:

The investiture isnt in the Sand itself, but is in the sunlight (which comes from the sky) which then invests tiny microbes that live on the sand.

But really, Taldain is the only planet where the sky has any strange anomaly and where it is an important part of how its inhabitants view the planet. It really is the most intuitive choice here.

But the other names more or less refer to the Magic system of that realm where in this case you are trying to tie the name to an environmental effect.  Seems like two different things to me.  I need to read White Sands though to get my knowledge up to par on that realm.

47 minutes ago, Aradishar said:

But the other names more or less refer to the Magic system of that realm where in this case you are trying to tie the name to an environmental effect.  Seems like two different things to me.  I need to read White Sands though to get my knowledge up to par on that realm.

Scadrial's expanse is named after an environmental effect...

Either way, based on what we know we can reasonably assume that the names are based off of the properties of the Cognitive realms in these expanses, which themselves are an expansion of how people view the corresponding planet, not the properties of that planets magic system.

• 1 year later...
On 11/30/2016 at 8:00 AM, Runyan Firetree said:

Would there be any benefit to trying to match the Roshar Shadesmar map with the new AU star chart? If we align Expanse of Vapors with Scadrial on the AU star chart, then work our way clockwise through the planets with close proximity to Roshar the next planet we come to is Nalthis which aligns with the next Expanse on the Roshar map (Vibrance).  Going counterclockwise from Scadrial/Vapors, we would get Broken Sky paired with Taldain which also seems to fit for reasons others have already stated.  Leaving us with Expanse of Densities to be paired with either Braize, Ashyn, or Sel.

Considering this WoB on the AU "star map":

... the star chart is a star chart created by people who are not spacefaring, right? And so it is a star chart more along the lines of-- It may not be one hundred percent to scale and things like that, like they've been able to figure out a lot of things by using the Cognitive Realm, so they'd be like "alright, here's the relationship",

Source

I think comparing this to the Shadesmar map is the best way to figure out what the Expanses are. I had independently come to these same conclusions, and with this additional WoB:

So Densities is Sel. We put that one on, right, Expanse of the Densities? So, if we didn't you now know, Densities is Sel.

Source

I believe we can now pretty conclusively say:

Vapors = Scadrial

Vibrance = Nalthis

Densities = Sel

Broken Sky = Taldain

• Chaos locked this topic