The Official 10th Anniversary of Elantris Trivia Thread

"The finest novel of fantasy to be written in many years."

"Brandon Sanderson is the real thing--an exciting storyteller with a unique and powerful vision.  Elantris is one of the finest debuts I've seen in years."

"Elantris was beautiful, once."

"The Shaod could take beggar, crafstman, nobleman, or warrior. When it came, the fortunate person's life ended and began anew; he would discard his old, mundane existence and move to Elantris. Elantris, where he could live in bliss, rule in wisdom, and be worshiped for eternity.

Eternity ended ten years ago."

I still get chills reading that back cover blurb!

Hello fellow Elantrians!

It's the day we've all (or at least some of us), have all be waiting for!  Elantris, Brandon's first published novel, has officially been out for ten years.  Our favourite author has come along way (and written a lot of books) in the last ten years, but now it's time to look back at the book that started it all.  Some of you have already started on rereads, others are probably waiting for the new edition to be released this fall, but as a way of celebrating Elantris's 10 year anniversary, the staff thought it would be fun to test your knowledge with some trivia!  

As for instructions, they are simple.  For the rest of today the next few days, you can PM me your answers to any/all of the questions, and I'll give you score based on how many correct answers you get.  I'll keep a tally of the winning scores at the bottom of this post.  After today the next few days, the thread will be unlocked, and people can feel free to start posting their answers below in spoiler tags.  You won't get on the scoreboard that way, but you can still have a chance to show off your knowledge.   I'll be running two score boards, one for people who answer the questions without looking back through their book, and another for those who have decided to research their answers.  Both methods are great, since part of the point of these questions is to draw some attention to Elantris, but I want to be fair to those people who answered from their own memory, and give them a chance to score.  I would definitely encourage those people who answer from memory to go back and check their answers in the book when they are done.  Seriously guys, Elantris is awesome!  There's a reason it got me hooked on Brandon Sanderson!

If you do not want your score shown, just tell me in the PM, and I can just PM you your results.  I'll be posting the answers in a spoiler tag later this week.  

Rules Cheat Sheet:

• For today the next few days (April 21, 2015 - April 23, 2015), PM me your answers.
  • Specify in your PM whether you (i) answered from memory, or (ii) looked up your answers.
  • After today the next few days (April 21, 2015 - April 23, 2015), feel free to answer in the thread to show off your knowledge, but use spoiler tags so you don't spoil the fun for others.  The thread is locked for now, but it will be unlocked when we are done accepting PM'd answers.  

Note: These questions will contain some pretty big spoilers, which is why I've posted these questions in the Elantris sub-forum.  Read them at your own risk.  

TRIVIA:

EASY

What is the name Raoden uses in Elantris? 

What is the name of Shu-Dereth’s God?  

What activity does Sarene teach the Arelish women to do? 

What is the name of Sarene’s seon? 

What is the first Aon Raoden gets to work? 

What is the King of Fjorden’s called? 

What is  one of Sarene’s cousins named?  

MEDIUM

What name does Raoden use when impersonating a Dula to get close to Sarene? 

What is Raoden’s Hoed mantra?  

What monasteries did Hrathen train in (X2)? 

Who kills Hrathen, and why (X2)?  

What is King Iadon’s religion?  

What does the word “sule” mean? 

How does Sarene come to be married to Raoden? 

Who are the three Elantrian gang leaders (X3)

What is the Korathi Patriarch’s name? 

Which Elantrian was caught trying to sneak into the palace more than once? 

Which member of Sarene’s group of nobles betrays the rest?

DIFFICULT

Name three Fjordell Monasteries and what they train (X6).

What was Dilaf’s Wife’s name, and how did she die (X3)?

What Korathi curse does King Eventeo use?

What Fjordell curse does Dliaf use?

Best of luck!  May the best Elantrian win!

The Official 10th Anniversary of Elantris Trivia Scoreboard!

Off Book:

Windrunner - 27.5

Curiosity - 23

Winter Cloud - 22

Senor Feesh - 21.5

Alvron - 20

zas678 - 18.5

gjustice99 - 18

Sirce Luckwileder - 16

Slowswift - 15.5

Mailliw73 - 11

Kobold King - 6

On Book:

Slowswift - 31

Mailiw73 - 30

gjustice99 - 25

Scoreboard will be updated once daily.  Answers will be posted later this week!  Thanks to everyone who participated!

Note:  I did the math several times, but as a former English Major, I stand open to correction.  If you feel I've miscalculated your score, feel free to PM with a break down of why you think I've miscalculated.  I gave some 0.5s when I felt people were basically there but just not quite specific enough.  Also, I hope every one keeps in mind that this is meant to be a fun way to appreciate a great book.  Thanks for playing!

EDIT:  Sorry about the mix-up with the scores!  If you are still PMing me answers, remember to explain to me how you are designating whether you answered questions from memory or not, as it may not be readily apparent.

Answers

EASY
What is the name Raoden uses in Elantris? (Spirit or Lord Spirit).
What is the name of Shu-Dereth’s God?  (Jaddeth).
What activity does Sarene teach the Arelish women to do? (Fencing).
What is the name of Sarene’s seon? (Ashe).
What is the first Aon Raoden gets to work? (Ehe.  I gave half points if people said the Aon for Fire).  
What is the King of Fjorden’s called? (Wyrn)
What is  one of Sarene’s cousins named?  (Any answer that included Kaise or Daorn got points.  Generally, I didn't give points if Lukel or Adien alone were included, since they are her step cousins.  I understand that the assumption that only genetic relatives can be 'cousins' is problematic, so feel free to come debate with me if you feel strongly about it).  

MEDIUM
What name does Raoden use when impersonating a Dula to get close to Sarene? (Kaloo)
What is Raoden’s Hoed mantra?  ("Failed... Failed my Love."  I generally accepted any answer that had "Failed my Love," in some form.)
What monasteries did Hrathen train in (X2)? (1. Dakhor; 2. Ghajan).  
Who kills Hrathen, and why (X2)?  (Fjon kills him, under orders from Wyrn, in order to get into Rathbore.  You needed to have Fjon's name, and something about Rathbore for full points.  Mentioning the Arteth from the beginning AND his motive of getting into a monastery got you one point).
What is King Iadon’s religion?  (Jeskeri Mysteries).
What does the word “sule” mean? ("Firend").
How does Sarene come to be married to Raoden? (Death equaled marriage under their engagement contract, and Raoden's Shaod was treated as his death.  This question was a little vague, but generally most people got it right.  I gave the point for answers that included Raoden's death).  
Who are the three Elantrian gang leaders (X3)(1. Karata; 2. Aandan; 3. Shaor.  I didn't give bonus points for Aandan's real name, but a number of you mentioned it).  
What is the Korathi Patriarch’s name? (Sienalan).
Which Elantrian was caught trying to sneak into the palace more than once? (Karata).
Which member of Sarene’s group of nobles betrays the rest? (Ahan).

DIFFICULT
Name three Fjordell Monasteries and what they train (X6). (1) Dakhor - (2) Order of the Bone; (3) Rathbore - (4) Assassins; (5) Fjeldor - (6) Spies.  I also accepted Ghajan or if someone mentioned a monastery that accepted warriors, since Hrathen mentions the other ones train warriors of some kind.  To get the full 6 points you needed three monastery names and three specialties, just the specialties got you three points.  A lot of people got four points for Dakhor and it's specialty, along with the other two specialties).  
What was Dilaf’s Wife’s name, and how did she die (X3)? (Her name was Seala (1).  She was affected by an improperly drawn Aon and underwent a transformation similar to the one post-Reod Elantrians go through, and she threw herself off the city walls in an attempt to commit suicide and stop the pain (2).  She was still living, and Dilaf was forced to burn her (3).  For this question, I gave one point for the name, and one point for the actual cause of death (the burning), and then a third point for anything relating to her transformation or attempted suicide).  
What Korathi curse does King Eventeo use? ("Rag Domi".  Sorry gang, 'Idos Domis' or 'Merciful Domi' didn't cut it for this question).  

What Fjordell curse does Dliaf use?("Hruggath Ja")

A few words on the answers.  If you have a dispute with some of them, feel free to chat with me about them in a message.  Please keep in mind though that the Trivia was meant to be fun, and that while I did put work into these question, I never intended for them to be perfect, so there are bound to be some flaws.  I included some explanation about how the marking worked in the answers above.  Anyways, I hope everyone who has answered, and who continues to answer had some fun, and learned some things about Elantris that they did not know before.  

I am opening this thread now, so people can post their answers in spoiler tags below, and then check their own work.  I will not be updating the scoreboard, or marking PM'd questions from this point on.  Feel free to include some discussion of the questions if you wish, but try to keep the focus on actually answering the questions.  Any comments that spoil answers should be included in spoiler tags with your answers.  

Happy 10th Elantris Anniversary, thanks to everyone who was brave enough to participate, and happy posting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

EASY

What is the name Raoden uses in Elantris? Spirit +1

What is the name of Shu-Dereth’s God?  Jaddeth +1

What activity does Sarene teach the Arelish women to do? Fencing +1

What is the name of Sarene’s seon? Ashe +1

What is the first Aon Raoden gets to work? Ehe +1

What is the King of Fjorden’s called? Wryn +1

What is  one of Sarene’s cousins named?  Kaise and Daorn +1

MEDIUM

What name does Raoden use when impersonating a Dula to get close to Sarene? Kaloo +1

What is Raoden’s Hoed mantra?  Failed... I failed my love +1

What monasteries did Hrathen train in (X2)? Dakhor and... ??? +1

Who kills Hrathen, and why (X2)?  Fjon, when Hrathen sent him back to Fjordell, he was given the task to kill Hrathen to join the assassin monastary +1

What is King Iadon’s religion?  Jeskeri Mysteries +1

What does the word “sule” mean? Friend +1

How does Sarene come to be married to Raoden? Well, the first time, Raoden 'dies'. The second time, they are married in a ceremony. +1

Who are the three Elantrian gang leaders (X3)? Karata, Aanden, Shaor. +3

What is the Korathi Patriarch’s name? Seinalan +1

Which Elantrian was caught trying to sneak into the palace more than once? Karata +1

Which member of Sarene’s group of nobles betrays the rest? Ahan +1

DIFFICULT

Name three Fjordell Monasteries and what they train (X6). Dakhor - Demons. ??? - Assassins. ??? - Spies. +3

What was Dilaf’s Wife’s name, and how did she die (X3)? Soila? Went to Elantris to be healed, the healing failed and turned her into a Hoed, then she jumped off a building in agony, what actually killed her is Dilaf burning her, though. +2.5 (close on the name, but not exact)

What Korathi curse does King Eventeo use? Idos Domi? +0

What Fjordell curse does Dliaf use? ??? +0

I awarded myself a half-point along the way, so 25.5. I just got done with the re-read, though, so that's kind of like cheating. Haha.

• 9 months later...

I knew all of these....I guess that is what happens when you read a book over 30 times (not an exaggeration). It is my favorite book.

However, saying Fjon isn't exactly correct since he lived afterword, until Dilaf struck a few final blows. Yes, he probably would have died, but I think that if someone mentioned Dilaf, he should get credit too. Although saying both would be the fully correct answer.

• Chaos unpinned this topic
  • Chaos locked this topic