Can you make your arm a lifeless?

Azure

21 minutes ago, Calderis said:

That's why the breath cannot be retrieved. 

I forgot about that rule! Good point. So lifeless do have some "personhood" left that regular Awakened objects don't. Which I guess is why Kalad's Phantoms are bones encased in statue and not just statues. 

• 1 month later...

In response to the original post, I don't have a real answer. However I think there would be a decent chance, as a shardblade only severs the spiritual connection on the first pass, not the physical or cognitive. The limp arm still has oxygenated, nutrient filled blood flowing through it which is obviously better than ichor alcohol, and if it has a cognitive identity separate from the main body would still think of itself as the person's arm, and would want to function.

On 9/19/2018 at 7:31 PM, Calderis said:

I disagree because of the way that Awakening works. 

Unlike forgery, Awakening doesn't care about an objects past its levels of cost aren't based off the Identity of what they are awaking, but similarity of the object to their own. That's why making an object more human generally, or more specifically like the individual (see Vasher adding his own hair to the strawman, or the rips in his cloak that match his scars). 

Forgery works specifically by altering the history of a specific item. Changing the history of one is hard enough, that when you add in multiple it becomes extremely complicated. 

For Awakening though? You have all of the parts made from once living flesh, in the form of a human body. You give it the breath, and the breath a command, and it animates the object.

The identity of the person who was that corpse should be gone after a certain point. The corpse should become just another object, with its own Spiritual and Cognitive aspects unique from the person who once inhabited it. 

Because of what I wrote above, I think you could awaken a severed arm... And it would be a lifeless arm. It would do what you tell it to do. Which would be storming weird. 

How does that square with the fact that Awakened soldiers retain the skills of the corpse's previous life?  If Im recalling it correctly that fact was a big part of their military viability.

To the OP, I agree with the others that it would likely work and result in a storming weird Lifeless arm.  The follow-up questions I have are: could somebody else awaken Your arm, or would the fact that it's still physically attached and sharing your blood-flow (a spiritually significant thing per Hemalurgy mechanics) tie it to your spiritweb enough to cause interference like shardplate to surges?  And what would happen if your "dead"  arm were awakened and then the damage were healed with Regrowth or F-Gold?  Would the Breath simply be lost same as a person dying with one, or would it get sucked into the working and do oddball things?

On 10/25/2012 at 10:25 AM, king of nowhere said:

lifeless being able to obey commands is because they have brains that still work a bit. remember, a lifeless squirrel is less smart and can take less commands than a lifeless human. Then it just came to me it was possible to make lifeless out of bone. So it is probably possible. So I got back the long answer and will put that one too.

So, this is disproved because of the fact that lifeless were made out of bones. I think you might be able to, but if you have access to a shardblade, you probably have someone with the surge of regrowth and then you can just get a new arm out of that.

• Chaos locked this topic