Different Genetics?

Sarcasm

I'm no expert on this, but as I was reading Words of Radiance, I noticed that it was common for people to have one light-eye and one dark-eye, as well as streaks of mixed hair colors. For a human on Earth, this would be very rare, and only plausible in the case of a mutation. Are people on Roshar different than people on Earth, and if so, will we see greater effects of it besides hair and eye color? 

Edited by Argentum

Well the people of Scadrial were created by Ruin and Preservation, so it would make sense that there's some genetic manipulation on their part.

But I believe there's a WoB somewhere that states that at least some (if not all) of the humans that first showed up on Roshar emigrated from somewhere else, possibly Yolen. 

If that is the case, perhaps the Shards modified them slightly to make them more suited to their respective Investitures. (Self-plug: Which strengthens my theory about Burning Eyeballs)

The genetics on Roshar may vary slightly from what we have here.  Different colored eyes are still not common, I have only heard of maybe two cases in both books.  I personally believe that the reason for the different colors in the hair of a single individual is because it is co-dominant, kind of like when you mix a white animal and a red one, then end up with one that is roan.  Earthen hair manifests itself as one color because one gene dominates the other.  Does that make sense?

Indeed.  If the cross-breeding does exist, then it would have been several thousand years ago, so it is unlikely that the same traits would show up in a Horneater as in a Voidbringer.  If they were affected, though, wouldn't the Veden be affected, too?  They share some of the same genes.

• Chaos locked this topic