Your Perfect State

Kobold King

Some spoilers for Perfect State follow.

This morning I finished reading Perfect State, another good novella by our beloved Bandersnatch. There were things I liked about it and things I felt were kind of meh, but all in all I greatly enjoyed it. In particular I adored the central concept of the story: the concept of a world where brains are removed from fetuses and plugged into elaborate virtual realities specially formulated to match their personalities and desires.

Which brings us to this simple thread. Assuming that Perfect States match the idealistic fantasies that we all daydream from time to time, what would your personal State be like?

Personally, I think that my State would basically enable me to be the Doctor from Doctor Who. I would live in a vast and procedurally generated setting with joint fantasy and science fiction elements, which I would explore with some kind of magical ship that enables me to traverse through time and space. I'd arrive on planets just on the cusp of war or some natural disaster, and using only my wits and inexplicable charisma would save the day, earning the praise and admiration of the masses before running back to my ship and setting sail for another distant part of the cosmos.

Ahem. What would your Perfect State be like? If there were a world programmed entirely to enable you to be the hero of your daydreams, what would it look like?

Ahem. What would your Perfect State be like? If there were a world programmed entirely to enable you to be the hero of your daydreams, what would it look like?

Personally, I think that my State would basically enable me to be the Doctor from Doctor Who. I would live in a vast and procedurally generated setting with joint fantasy and science fiction elements, which I would explore with some kind of magical ship that enables me to traverse through time and space. I'd arrive on planets just on the cusp of war or some natural disaster, and using only my wits and inexplicable charisma would save the day, earning the praise and admiration of the masses before running back to my ship and setting sail for another distant part of the cosmos.

You summed mine up pretty nicely for me! ^_^

First, I was leaning towards something sci-fi like, with FTL, space battles and all that that goes with it. Then I saw Kobolds post, something that would allow travel to all types of worlds sounds far better than just one. Or maybe like how Star Wars, with all it's advanced technology, there still is melee combat that can keep up with everything else,  in the form of lightsabers

Probably some weird Cosmere-meets-Middle-Earth-meets-Doctor-Who type thing. And with a progressive society a la Mistborn. So one day I'm fighting off orcs with Allomancy and the One Ring and then hundreds of years later I'm on the TARDIS exploring the universe. 

Edited by Slowswift

My perfect state would be a peacified ( not a word but whatever) Earth, and I would have the power to control time, so if I wanted to hang out with my friends for a longer time, I could use a bendalloy bubble, stuff like that.

There would also be portals/ gates to the universes of other books so I could world hop around

• 3 months later...

Probably some weird Cosmere-meets-Middle-Earth-meets-Doctor-Who type thing. And with a progressive society a la Mistborn. So one day I'm fighting off orcs with Allomancy and the One Ring and then hundreds of years later I'm on the TARDIS exploring the universe. 

That's me minus Doctor Who. Add Star Wars and Reckoners - bliss!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...