Possible David Power? Spoilers!

TheSpartanDuck

Late bloomer to this topic but I for one would be inclined to think he is an epic.

1) obliteration comments on how calamity had made him an epic. Even if obliteration didn't know about gifting, his intuition regarding the nature of calamity leaves some questions unanswered

2) it's possible David has a sponge like power that lets him absorb epic powers through touch for a limited time. This could be mistaken for gifting and would allow David to battle it out in book 3 with so,e super awesome abilities

3) calamity was convinced to turn David into an epic but when he did David didn't really have any fears and that's why it failed to turn him bad. Calamity probably chooses epics very carefully and the fact that he didn't intentionally select David just backfired and turned him into a good epic

4) Brandon is sneaky sneaky

• 4 weeks later...

4) Brandon is sneaky sneaky

I'm not sure what I make of the rest of your ideas (I'm completely undecided), but on point 4, no argument.

Which personally makes me think that David's current power position is something nobody has thought of yet!

• 1 month later...

Perhaps an epic can be gifted powers when they are being exposed to their weakness?

But exposing an Epic to their weakness doesn't change what they are; it just makes them unable to use their powers. Besides, even if they could be gifted powers while exposed to their weaknesses, they wouldn't be in any shape to use said gifted powers, since they find their weaknesses terrifying. 

But exposing an Epic to their weakness doesn't change what they are; it just makes them unable to use their powers. Besides, even if they could be gifted powers while exposed to their weaknesses, they wouldn't be in any shape to use said gifted powers, since they find their weaknesses terrifying. 

Who says it doesn't change what they are?  Do we really know that much about the nature of weaknessess? Maybe it does change them back to human for that period of time. In regards to David potentially having powers, if that were the case there would have to be some explanation for him being gifted powers from Prof. I am merely speculating that perhaps he was being exposed to his weakness during that time, which MAY explain why he was able to be gifted abilities while being an epic (assuming he is an epic).  As has been discussed IF he has powers he didn't go through a Rending and is not aware of his powers, and likely not aware of his weakness.. so he wouldn't be terrified if he was exposed to his weakness. 

Who says it doesn't change what they are?  Do we really know that much about the nature of weaknessess? Maybe it does change them back to human for that period of time. In regards to David potentially having powers, if that were the case there would have to be some explanation for him being gifted powers from Prof. I am merely speculating that perhaps he was being exposed to his weakness during that time, which MAY explain why he was able to be gifted abilities while being an epic (assuming he is an epic).  As has been discussed IF he has powers he didn't go through a Rending and is not aware of his powers, and likely not aware of his weakness.. so he wouldn't be terrified if he was exposed to his weakness. 

Others have speculated on that before, and I'll reiterate what I said then: Possible, maybe, but it's the option that makes the least amount of sense. 

Plus he would still be terrified of his weakness by definition, if he wasn't it wouldn't be his weakness anymore.

You're right, I had overlooked that.  However considering it with that thought, David was pretty terrified of losing Megan when he was gifted abilities from Prof...   :ph34r:

You're right, I had overlooked that. However considering it with that thought, David was pretty terrified of losing Megan when he was gifted abilities from Prof... :ph34r:

Seems a little too specific for a weakness, not to mention that if she ever died for real, he'd either be without a weakness or permanently unable to use his powers.

Seems a little too specific for a weakness, not to mention that if she ever died for real, he'd either be without a weakness or permanently unable to use his powers.

He also expressed fear of losing Prof.  Think about it, he experienced a terrible tragedy when he was young and lost his dad. He seems to have a fear of losing those who are close to him. 

Thinking about it now, if David really did become an Epic, his only logical power would be Power Absorption. He was after all, able to use Prof's power even after he was turned. One more possible proof is that the last time Prof gifted him, he was also given healing powers, which was never done before if I remember correctly. Another one is that the forcefield was different from usual, it actually protected him for most of the fight with Obliteration when the normal forcefield would have been done after just a few hits (remember the chase in Steelheart?). Maybe the Absorption Power explains why he had a lot more of Profs power at that time. Because they weren't actually gifted, they were forcefully taken. As to why he didn't have the corruption even though he was using his powers. Remember after Calamity gave him his powers, he looked into the water, remembered his fear, and just set it aside. Meaning he faced his fear and overcame it at that instant. That's why he wasn't feeling any corruption. Anyone agree?

Thinking about it now, if David really did become an Epic, his only logical power would be Power Absorption. He was after all, able to use Prof's power even after he was turned. One more possible proof is that the last time Prof gifted him, he was also given healing powers, which was never done before if I remember correctly. Another one is that the forcefield was different from usual, it actually protected him for most of the fight with Obliteration when the normal forcefield would have been done after just a few hits (remember the chase in Steelheart?). Maybe the Absorption Power explains why he had a lot more of Profs power at that time. Because they weren't actually gifted, they were forcefully taken. As to why he didn't have the corruption even though he was using his powers. Remember after Calamity gave him his powers, he looked into the water, remembered his fear, and just set it aside. Meaning he faced his fear and overcame it at that instant. That's why he wasn't feeling any corruption. Anyone agree?

Profs gifted healing a few times, they had a piece of technology to disguise it before everyone discovered he was an Epic.

He can also gift with varying degrees of strength so variability in how strong the forcefield is makes sense too.

• 3 weeks later...

Meghan said that the Firefight 'illusion' was her in an alternate universe, but David noticed that the face looked familiar. That, along with the whole Sanderson saying that we don't know his favorite Epic is an Epic, as well as answering 'Firefight', leads me to this conclusion:

David is the Firefight everybody thought existed

Meghan is going to have to find a new name

• 2 weeks later...

I finished FireFight only an hour ago and reading this post an idea come to my mind.

I'm not sure about the "David is an Epic now" theory but:

If Calamity choose to give to David the same Prof's powers and turn him in a "Mini-Prof" ? We know what Regalia wanted from Prof. An Heir to her city and she ask to Calamity to give powers to David. Why ? Probably to help Prof in his rule. And what could be a "thematical powers"  for a Prof's vice ? Maybe the same set of powers.

If this is true, Prof didn't actually donate any power to david in the ending and David use it's own powers.

Anyway there is a big contro about this. The Powers of David seems to fade away. Maybe just for a Mental reason or something weakness related.

• 1 year later...