Speculation On The Sci-Fi Trilogy

HalfShard

Brandon recently released a statement about what he's doing this year, and in it, he mentioned that when he finished the Stormlight archive, he would write what he dubbed the 'big' Mistborn trilogy, a sci-fi one. That got me thinking, what would happen if allomancers visited other planets in the Cosmere? I imagine there would be battles, perhapse some revelations about Investiture. What does everyone else think?

I'm going to be disappointed if the space trilogy doesn't include at least one honest-to-goodness alien race. BrandSand would be great at those if the kandra, spren, and Parshendi are anything to go by.

Space Odyssey featuring TenSoon and [insert misting here]

I'm going to be disappointed if the space trilogy doesn't include at least one honest-to-goodness alien race. BrandSand would be great at those if the kandra, spren, and Parshendi are anything to go by.

Well. This would be exciting, but the Cosmere is not a fair field for evolution - all the Shards creating humans skew things. So it could go either way.

Well. This would be exciting, but the Cosmere is not a fair field for evolution - all the Shards creating humans skew things. So it could go either way.

There was life before the Shattering, right? So there could be alien races that can trace their origins to pre-Shardic times.

I'm expecting that most forms of investiture can be imbued into objects. And as we know that the south has some kind of Allotech I'm looking forward to Mistplate.

Because I am a Power armor Fan and I love to see anything like it.

Shard Plate, Breath Plate (Because sorry vasher. Some one will figure it out again), Mist Plate, Anon Plate.

Each of them is going to be similar with enhances strength speed and toughness. But that is where the similarities will end I expect.

Edited by Lord Tavash Shar

Mildly off-topic: I'm wondering now if their FTL travel uses the Cognitive somehow, if time bubbles aren't the answer. Thinking about Radiants vs. Mistborn made me wonder. Would perfectly answer why we won't know how Allomancy does it until the 10th book or so...

On-topic: I remain hopeful for gigantic gem drives for Rosharan space ships.

Edited by Moogle

Mildly off-topic: I'm wondering now if their FTL travel uses the Cognitive somehow, if time bubbles aren't the answer. Thinking about Radiants vs. Mistborn made me wonder. Would perfectly answer why we won't know how Allomancy does it until the 10th book or so...

On-topic: I remain hopeful for gigantic gem drives for Rosharan space ships.

I am also hopeful for this. As I have been reading Stormlight archive I have become more and more sure that they may have already existed at one point before odiums Arival. Roshar has a slightly Pern feeling to me that I rather love as I have not seen it well executed sense pern.

@KoboldKing, If I may be so bold, BWS has ALREADY included several alien race - the Kandra & Parshendi serving as two phenomenal examples. Just because they exist on a planet alongside humans, what's to say the Parshendi (or the mistwraiths from whence the Kandra were drawn) did not predate the humans on Scadrial? As near as I can remember, several of the shards put humans onto their given planets. Is this not akin to humans colonizing a planet that already had life on it (if, in the case in question, another race predated the humans arrival), only appearing to be native by having been there so long by the 'modern' day?

@KoboldKing, If I may be so bold, BWS has ALREADY included several alien race - the Kandra & Parshendi serving as two phenomenal examples. Just because they exist on a planet alongside humans, what's to say the Parshendi (or the mistwraiths from whence the Kandra were drawn) did not predate the humans on Scadrial? As near as I can remember, several of the shards put humans onto their given planets. Is this not akin to humans colonizing a planet that already had life on it (if, in the case in question, another race predated the humans arrival), only appearing to be native by having been there so long by the 'modern' day?

Well, we do know the mistwraiths did not come before the humans on Scadrial.

I did use the kandra and the Parshendi as examples. ;) Though to nitpick a bit--Mistborn trilogy spoilers below--

The kandra are not a natural race. They were mutated humans with no culture of their own, existing entirely to serve the will of a human as dictated to them a thousand years ago. While unique and inhuman, they do not count as an alien race in my mind, any more than do the koloss.

The Parshendi are totally aliens, though. Humanoid but still way more alien than anything on Star Trek. I'd like to see races like the Parshendi, but in space.

Edited by Kobold King

There was life before the Shattering, right? So there could be alien races that can trace their origins to pre-Shardic times.

Ohh! Pre-Shattering, sentient aliens would be awesome! What if they come from planets that haven't been influenced by any Shards or Splinters? That could be a possibility; and with plenty of time to evolve maybe they eventually get their own FTL? 

Well there are always dragons to look forward to :)

Dragons indeed! Gotta love additional sentient non-humans. I imagine a small, old, and very wise dragon walking around Yoda-like.

Wow. Great ideas, guys! I'll admit, I didn't expect this much traction on this discussion.

If there are pre-Shattering aliens out there, what if they have some kind of Investiture granted by Adolnasium itself? Or, alternatively, all of the abilities in the Cosmere? Those would make for a wickedly powerful race.

Wow. Great ideas, guys! I'll admit, I didn't expect this much traction on this discussion.

If there are pre-Shattering aliens out there, what if they have some kind of Investiture granted by Adolnasium itself? Or, alternatively, all of the abilities in the Cosmere? Those would make for a wickedly powerful race.

Yolish humans and dragons probably had Adonalsium investiture if Hoid could apparently always Lightweave before lightweaving was cool.

The actual magic manifestations in their specific forms appear to be caused in part by the shardworlds just as much as the shards themselves, IIRC, so a lot of loopholes is probably still needed to pull that off.

The Knights Radiant would wipe the floor with the Mistborn.

It really maters about the Situation, Terrain, Knowledge of each other, Etc.

Mistborn have more powers and flexibility with them. A Knight Radiant has more raw strength. So it really becomes a mater of where and how they are fighting. Does the mistborn have access to southern Scadral Artifice? Does the Radian have a convenient source of investiture? 

This is by no means a one side smashes the other fight.

The Knights Radiant would wipe the floor with the Mistborn.

it would be tough for a Mistborn on a planet like Roshar as their not so big on metals. Not sure how allomancy would react against Shardplate and apart from spear heads, soldiers don't seem to have much in the way of armour. Even their currency would be useless to a Mistborn. But maybe on a different Shardworld or even Yolen, the original, the fight would be fought on fair ground.

Also it depends where Scadrial has come in advancement in the fields of allomancy during the Stormlight period. A Mistborn in something like Mistplate could probably give a Radiant a run for his money (or boxings).

What we should be testing is one person with a nahel bond and 4 honorblades to give 10 surges (or somehow 5 nahel bonds?) vs a fullborn. In a highstorm while surrounded by Mist that we assume can be burned by this person.

At the pinnacle of their respective arts, who is more broken?

What we should be testing is one person with a nahel bond and 4 honorblades to give 10 surges (or somehow 5 nahel bonds?) vs a fullborn. In a highstorm while surrounded by Mist that we assume can be burned by this person.

At the pinnacle of their respective arts, who is more broken?

Thats just it. Is that the pinnacle of there arts? Or is the mistborn a savant of somthing. Does shard plate block emotional allomancy? While we know that its hard its not impossible to push on shard blades and plate so what will that take. Is burning pewter enough investment to make it hard for a shard blade to "Cut" your skin?