Weakness And Fear Correlation?

Sarcasm

In Steelheart, it was mentioned that there were once some Epics who could only be defeated by a certain number of people or if the person was a certain age. If their weaknesses are really tied to their fears, what kind of a scenario in their past would cause an Epic to have such a weakness? 

There are plenty of phobias based around numbers, but then I somewhat doubt that a phobia can become a weakness as opposed to a fear since they're somewhat different.

Could be that they were attacked by a group of people or a certain person and while they really fear that specific person or group that their weakness is just a link to that fear, like with Newton.

Yeah, with the epic who can only be harmed by exactly 6 people, maybe in his/her past they were attacked by a gang of six people, and robbed/beaten/raped/etc, and if it was nigth maybe they saw no faces or features, just six, interchangeable, identical shapes.

And they always feared those six shadows, six silhouettes, so whenever they are attacked by six people they have a flashback and imagine that those six are  the same six from that night long ago.

I guess the same for the epic whose weakness was someone aged 36. Maybe something horribly traumatic happened when they were 36, on their birthday. and the age reminds them of it.

sometimes the weakness is just a symbol of the fear, a reminder of it, as opposed to the fear itself.

Yeah, I'd assumed that the Epic who could only be killed by someone who was 37 exactly had something terrible happen on their 37th birthday. I think that with fears like that, where it would be impossible to duplicate the situation that caused the fear, Calamity latches onto a reminder of it. Like with Newton. It would be impossible to duplicate her root fear, short of holding up a recording of her father saying "Yunmi, I am disappoint," so her weakness was something that reminded her of what she feared.

Yeah, I'd assumed that the Epic who could only be killed by someone who was 37 exactly had something terrible happen on their 37th birthday. I think that with fears like that, where it would be impossible to duplicate the situation that caused the fear, Calamity latches onto a reminder of it. Like with Newton. It would be impossible to duplicate her root fear, short of holding up a recording of her father saying "Yunmi, I am disappoint," so her weakness was something that reminded her of what she feared.

In addition, another possibility is that the person's family has a history of bad events occuring when their 37. Previous family members may have died, or contracted a terminal illness, etc. during their 37th birth year. Lots of possibilities.

Her weakness was compliments I thought.

Her weakness was compliments I thought.

Yeah, stated as being because she feared disappointing her parents, so the compliments were a reminder but not the actual thing she was afraid of.

Yeah, stated as being because she feared disappointing her parents, so the compliments were a reminder but not the actual thing she was afraid of.

But since insulting her apparently does nothing I Am Disappoint should also do nothing even if it's from the actual person that caused the weakness, no?

You'd think weaknesses are much more arbitrarily specific than that.

• Chaos locked this topic